Marmotte Travel

SJO76
SJO76 Posts: 86
I stayed in Bourg D'Oisans last year in August and travelled by train which I thought was fine. But I did think that it would be a bit of a mare with bikes at Marmotte time.

What is the best way to get to region, plane or train come Marmotte time?

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Flying may be more convenient but not if your bike doesn't arrive. Train may be better providing you can get to the stations and transfer easily
    M.Rushton
  • SJO76
    Definitely my thinking for last years trip. But I am wondering if given the large numbers of cyclists they may limit, or physically be a limit, as to how many each train can cope with. When I travelled on Eurostar I put my bike in the luggage car but when I transferred to the TGV it seemed to be a case of put it wherever you can which wasn't many places. So I should imagine this will be crazy come Marmotte time.

Has any travelled by train for the Marmotte?
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    Yes.

I went by Train in 2008 and it was fine. The double decker TGV's have huge luggage areas, it's the eurostar which is more of an issue, but still ok.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Flying is fine if they can accomodate the bikes. But if 20 people turn up with bikes/luggage etc for a busy flight, those bikes may not go on. If you have to transfer trains in Paris you may have to go from Paris Nord to Sud
    M.Rushton
  • SJO76
    le patron wrote:
    Yes.

I went by Train in 2008 and it was fine. The double decker TGV's have huge luggage areas, it's the eurostar which is more of an issue, but still ok.

Thats good to know.

When I travelled last year I had to transfer from Gare Du Nord to Gare Du Lyon in 50 mins!!! I made it with time to spare despite the line I needed being closed. This time when I book Eurostar I will definitely leave myself a little more time.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    If you choose your train, it's a platform change at Lille rather than a station change in Paris - much more preferable.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure how close you are to Eurostar but I think if you get the bike to them in advance they gaurentee it will arrive for you but they might have to send it on an earlier train rahter than the one you are on
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I've travelled to both the Marmotte and the Etape by train and had no problems either time. The Etape has far more Brits travelling by train for it and everyone was able to get their bikes on board both the Eurostar and TGV trains.

The tip about going via Lille is a good one, you have to carry your bike up some stairs then down again, rather than lugging it across Paris.
  • I am driving and taking the MTB as well and will be spending the rest of week off-road.
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    We took the train two years ago. Saw no other riders on the way out, one couple on the way back. As others have said, the Eurostar has less bike room than the TGV Duplex (double-decker) which runs to Grenoble. All up it was very easy. We're taking the train again this year.