Tacx Real Life Video Club.

Bream
Bream Posts: 39
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
I wondered if there were any other Tacx RLV users out there who would be interested in setting up a Tacx RLV Club?

Basically a RLV library where member can loan DVDs to try before buying.

I have 4 RLVs I can start the library off with:

T1956.14 RLV The Pyrenees Stage - France
T1956.12 RLV Amstel Gold Race 2005 - The Netherlands
T1956.13 - Lombardy Tour 2005 Italy
T1956.18 RLV Alpine Classic 2007 - France

Basic club rules could be:

You need at least 1 RLV to contribute to the library to be able to join.
The library member wishing to borrow a RLV must cover the postage costs both ways.
The library member must return the RLV within 3 weeks from dispatch from the owner.

So would anyone be interested?

Details on my RLVs:

T1956.14 RLV The Pyrenees Stage - France

Tour de France 2005 Stage 15

The images of this awesome trip though the Pyrenees speak for themselves.
This is simply a must have real life video if you enjoy the challenge of the mountains. US racer George Hincapie won this stage that was one of the toughest of the 2005 Tour de France. Now you can taste what he achieved this day by riding the last 3 Cols of the gruelling stage 15.

Climbs
Col de Peyresourde 1569m 6.8% - Col de Azet 1580m 7.1% - Pla d'Adet 1700m 8% - Total climbing 2406m

The Route
Bagnéres-de-Luchon D618 - Loudenville - Génos-Azet D225 - Saint-Lary-Soulan D123 - Pla d'Adet

Route Information:
You start this challenging ride in the 1930s styled Spa town of Luchon & quickly wind your way up the first climb of the Col de Peyresourde. As you come into sight of the top you are rewarded for your efforts with your first brief views to the right side. This is a new feature that at this time is only available on this Real Life Video. The views are something that was not really possible without the clarity of a High definition camera & now you can really look & spot little mountain villages kilometers away.

After a fast descent you start up the steeper climb of the Col de Azet & again as you close in on the top you are afforded some wonderful views down to the valley lake & across to the Peyresourde. A second fast descent with some spectacular views of the last climb brings you to the busy ski resort of Saint-Lary-Soulan. This is your last chance to rest as the last long climb to Pla d'Adet is extremely tough for the first half. With tiring legs the second half of the climb may not feel much easier although there is a brief rest bite just before the final few steep kilometers to the finish.

Filmed in High definition in perfect crystal clear weather the day after the Tour de France traveled these very same roads.

The Misty Fog of the 2005 race!

Climbs

Plettenberg (130m), Eyserberg (200m), Huls (200m), Vrakelberg (170m), Sibbergrubbe (145m), Cauberg (140m), Kruisberg (160m), Eijserbosweg (180m), Fromberg (165m), Keutenberg (160m), Cauberg (130m)

The course (59 km)

Maastricht - Wittem - Schin op Geul - Cauberg - Vilt - Maastricht - Wahwiller - Schoonbron - Cauberg

Route information

Ride the course of the Amstel Gold Race, the only Pro Tour classic in the Netherlands. This video was taken during the professional competition of 2005. The start is in Maastricht, after which you ride the most interesting parts of the racecourse, including the entire final section.
The route takes you over countless small hills like the tremendously steep Eyserbosweg, Keutenberg and Cauberg, in the rolling landscape of South Netherlands. The finish is at the top of the 140 meter high Cauberg in Valkenburg.

T1956.13 - Lombardy Tour 2005 Italy

Filmed in DV starts further out then this years 2008 version but you also do the Guisallo & Colma, then you make a left at Nesso to Como

The Tour of Lombardy is known in Italy as the Tour of the falling Leaves. This race is the traditional end to the Classic season. This extremely tough 105km ride has some quite challenging climbs that include the 8,7km road up to the world famous Madonna del Ghisallo (chapel of the patron saint of Cyclists). The route winds & twists its way around part of lake Como that's situated in the heart of the incredibly scenic Lombardy countryside.

Comments

• Hi Bream,
    This is something that I would certainly be interested in as I have just bought my Tacx Satori which came with the Amstel Gold Race - The Netherlands, which you already have.
    I have been looking at various DVDs but just can't decide how easy/hard things will be and don't want to waste money if I will never use it.
    Did you get any other PM's in relation to this or do you reckon it's a no go?
    Hope to hear from you soon.
  • Bream
    Hi,

Well, the repsonse so far had been rather less than I expected, I hontestly thought there would be more people than just me with the same idea :?

I have the same worries, there are so many RLVs to buy and how do you know if you are going to like it etc??? I would love to try all the RLVs each year to keep the training interesting and fun but I can't justify buying every RLV per year etc.

I plan to buy a new 08 or 09 RLV soon, maybe even a couple and it would be nice if it could work.

I'll drop you a PM :)
  • Bream
    Forgot to say, are you runnnig the RLV with a Satori? I didn't realise they were compatible :? Or are you just watching the footage without brake and speed control?

Anyway, with all the RLV you can reduce how hard they actually are before riding, so this allows you to ride every course at your own level.

You also have the option to ride shorter sections of the overall RLV, so you don't have to start a 110k course from the beginning every time etc.
  • I only got my Satori Blue this week so I haven't even had a chance to get on teh damn thing yet and put all this to the test but I did stick the DVD into my laptop and have a look.

I'm aware that the Satori can't link to the tv to control speeds etc (I wish I had the money to buy one of these) but I was hoping that I could just try and pretend I am keeping up althoug I suppose I won't know until I try. My only concern is that I don't have a HRM or cadence monitor either so I don't really know how hard to go on it and I certaionly don't want to be cycling for 20 minutes then be knackered!! Any ideas?

I plan to do a session later today so I will be able to give you an opinion on it then but at the minute it seems a great idea and should definately relieve the bordom, even if it is just to look at the scenery going past!!

Cheers for the responses and hope to hear from you soon.
  • Bream
    To be honest the whole training thing is a such a massive area I would suggest buying a basic training book to learn more about HRM, cadence and wattage etc. Or see what Mr Google can offer :wink:

Once you figure out how you want to train and ride then it would probably be much cheaper and easier for you to just watch the RLVs from Youtube. Or you could download them from youtube and watch them when ever etc.

Some more info here: http://forum.tacx.com/viewtopic.php?t=9721
  • The Satori uses a differnet type of dvd to RVL. They are the ones for ergo trainers they display the time and resistance to use.

Like this one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23730

There's a good selection on Chain Reaction.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bream wrote:
    To be honest the whole training thing is a such a massive area I would suggest buying a basic training book to learn more about HRM, cadence and wattage etc. Or see what Mr Google can offer :wink:

Once you figure out how you want to train and ride then it would probably be much cheaper and easier for you to just watch the RLVs from Youtube. Or you could download them from youtube and watch them when ever etc.

All I can find on youtube are 30s - ~2min samples of the Tacx videos :?
    More problems but still living....
  • Bream
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bream wrote:

Hmm, can't view youtube at work but assumed (probably incorrectly :( ) that that link went to proper length films, sorry if not!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bream wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bream wrote:

Hmm, can't view youtube at work but assumed (probably incorrectly :( ) that that link went to proper length films, sorry if not!

Afraid not - just samples.
    More problems but still living....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    There's a word of difference between the I-magic and a normal trainer with real life videos. I tried them but there is no motivation to go faster since the film obviously always runs at the same speed, plus with i-magic you see your heart rate and power on the screen as well as the fact that it really gets harder when you go up hill rather than you just change resistance/gear and pretend. If you don't get on with the RLV it doesn't mean you wont like i-magic :)
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    I have san remo and flanders........
  • I see what you mean inseine, you can basically cheat with the RLV ;) although I'm not sure my budget would stretch to an i-magic or higher....it's a lot of money for a computer game!!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Tacx make the Real Life Video (RLV) for I-magic and Fortius, and this is linked to the feedback from the trainer and speed is dependent on how fast you cycle.

They also make Tacx Video Cycling which plays as a standard DVD, and requires no link to the trainer, but rather just indicates on a bar graph how hard you should be going.

Just thought I'd point out the difference to avoid any confusion.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • I have a couple of the Chasek south africa DVDs, the ones with the suggested tacx difficulty setting in the corner of the screen, i would be happy to do a exchange\ loan for the similar tacx ones if anyones interested. They are the T1958.# ones.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    it's a lot of money for a computer game!!

What price your sanity? :wink:
    As someone who has no choice but to ride indoors two or three times a week it turned a chore into something I actually enjoy. If don't have to or enjoy standard turbos don't bother otherwise it's the best money I've spent on cycliong kit.
    I know you were joking BTW :)
  • inseine wrote:
    What price your sanity? :wink:
    As someone who has no choice but to ride indoors two or three times a week it turned a chore into something I actually enjoy. If don't have to or enjoy standard turbos don't bother otherwise it's the best money I've spent on cycliong kit.
    I know you were joking BTW :)
    I suppose when you look at it like that you're right, money well spent to stay fit and healthy. Maybe I could buy one with my cycle to work scheme which is up again in March although I think I prefer a bike!!

Oh, by the way of course I was joking.... :lol:
  • I have a few that I'm willing to add.

Giant of Provence t1956.19
    Giro del mortirolo t1956.17
    Tour of flanders
    Heart of evergreen
    Iron horse
    Namur to Revin

anyone interested?

I'm looking for a change such as milan san remo or would like to see ome of the newer 2009 hd dvd's before I buy.
  • Updated my list :D Here goes...........

T1956.05 - Iron Horse Classic - Colorado
    T1956.09 - Heart of Evergreen - Colorado
    T1956.17 - Giro del Mortirolo - Italy
    T1956.19 - Giant of Provence - france
    T1956.10 - Namur to Revin - Belgium & France
    T1956.07 - Aube Valley Ride - France
    T1956.18 RLV Alpine Classic 2007 - France
    T1956.04 - Tour of Flanders 2004
    T1956.02 - Ventoux
    T1956.15 RLV Ardennes Mountainbike Ride - Belgium
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    I've got a selection of RLV (imagic) DVD's, but am always looking for newer rides/different profiles.

Like WelshCrowe It is the (current) HD versions interested in - even getting them online is right pain due Tacx crazy naming schemes, and non-accurate youtube/screen shots. The variation in quality appears all over the place.

I've got (I'll update the T1956. numbers later)

Argus Tour
    Iron horse Classic
    Heart of Evergreen
    Training with Rabobank (ergo & RLV)
    Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff
    Grossglockner

Also have the Velodome VR work but since getting the RLV I don't use it.
    Unfortunately the my PC doesn't quite have to horse power to smoothly play the fast downhill sections of Tilff, but ergo Rabobank is very nice.
  • Are any of the videos of flatish courses? I have ventoux 2008 and an Italian one - cant remember it's name but I would like a flattish stage so that I can do a 40-60min turbo session at constant power.

At the moment I start the I-magic and get up to a power and then disconnect the power from the I-magic. the video then plays at a constant speed without varying the resistance. This means I can then pedal away at 90rpm and at a constant power (Measured on my PT wheel).
    The only issue with this is that the hill climbing can be very slow on the video.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Spender45 wrote:
    Are any of the videos of flatish courses? I have ventoux 2008 and an Italian one - cant remember it's name but I would like a flattish stage so that I can do a 40-60min turbo session at constant power.

At the moment I start the I-magic and get up to a power and then disconnect the power from the I-magic. the video then plays at a constant speed without varying the resistance. This means I can then pedal away at 90rpm and at a constant power (Measured on my PT wheel).
    The only issue with this is that the hill climbing can be very slow on the video.

Download and install RLVcockpit.

This allows you to adjust the overall percentage of the climbs, max percentage etc - makes hilly routes flat.
  • Spender45 wrote:
    Are any of the videos of flatish courses? I have ventoux 2008 and an Italian one - cant remember it's name but I would like a flattish stage so that I can do a 40-60min turbo session at constant power.

T1956.22 The Green Heart Classic 2007 - This one is almost flat all the way (and quite long as well)
  • jasonoh
    jasonoh Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I have just recently got an i-magic trainer. I would be very interested in sharing.
    I have available:
    T1958.04 The Pyrenees - cycling video NOT rlv
    T1958.05 - Tour of Flanders - again a video not rlv
    T1956.40 - San Sebastian classic
    T1956.32 - Mortirolo (Stelvio, Mortirolo & Gavia climbs)
    T1956.19 - Giant of Provence (Ventoux)
    T1956.33 - Alpine classics
    I am waiting for an order for Tour of Argus SA and Pyrenees (later one).

How do we go about exchanging and paying for postage?
  • jasonoh
    jasonoh Posts: 11
    I have an order placed with an LBS for Etape 2010 - Tourmalet. I will be willing to share it once it arrives and I have checked it out! Should have it around 10th Feb.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I have these, but I'm in Finland, so postage is a little more complicated (but not much). I'm not sure what other ones I'd be after though - I like mountains...

T1956.33 Alpine Classic 2007
    T1956.32 Giro del Mortirolo 2008 (inc. Passo di Gavia, Stelvio)
    T1956.34 Mont Ventoux 2008
    T1956.22 The Green Heart Classic
    T1956.13 Lombardy Tour
  • Bream
    neeb, not a problem for me as I'm in Sweden :wink:
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    You guys probably know this already but (and I haven't used it for a couple of years) this site is good for downloading runs by differen folk to race against etc.

http://imagic.e-cycling.se/index.php

As for the guy who wants a flat hour ride, well there's a Capricorn 25mile TT (flat). OK not RLV, but still bloody hard ;-) There's also a 1hour ride (Catalyst) - see how far you can go.

Cheeers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Hi
    Im new to Tacx system i started to use it month ago.I have few rlvs
    -iron horse
    -ardennes
    -heart of evergreen
    -amstel gold race
    I would like to share /exchange those.
    dont know how to do it over net but maybe if you interested in any of those i have we will find a way.
    brgds
    cezary
  • With all this crap weather, did the sharing ever take off and if so how do I get included in the membership. Colin ( South Wales )