Cracked aluminium frame - can I get this fixed?

Craig Heron
Craig Heron Posts: 2
edited January 2010 in Workshop
I bought a 2009 Boardman Team Road last July and got knocked off it cycling home from work on 5th August (how unluck am I!) The insurance company of the dirver in question cannot get a reply from him :? , so it looks as though I'll get nothing from them for my knackered bike! :x
I wonder if it's possible to get my frame fixed so I can use the bike again? It's cracked in 2 places, at the points where the top and bottom tubes meet the headstock (if that's the proper terminology).
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get my bike fixed? I live in Essex and work on the southbank in London.
It's a lovely bike and only had a few weeks use, so it still looks brand new. I really don't want to scrap it and can't afford to by another.

I'm hoping you fellow cyclists can advise or help me out here.
Thanks,
Craig....

Comments

• Don't know where you live, but a firm like this should be able to sort you out.

http://www.beckwithengineering.co.uk/be ... elding.htm

All you need is someone who's handy with a Tig welder. Give them a call and ask if they can Tig weld an aluminium bike frame.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont forget about the heat treatment needed after the welding.

but without seeing the frame i will not comment on if it is viable.

also have you had the frame checked out for "trueness", no point in fixing a bent frame.
    there is also Argosracing who might be worth talking to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As mmacavity does not say what these links are, they are nothing to do with fixing your frame but to do with. "uninsured drivers" and "hit and run drivers"
    mmacavity wrote:

:roll:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    get it repaird if you can but dont stop chaseing the insurance. if the guy took you out then he needs to respond. I would get hold of your solicitors and ask them to enqire for you as they will know all hte buttons to push to get things moveing. ( this is on the provisor that when the crash happend you calledthe police if not oyu dont have alot to show there was a crash.)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • New alloy frames available for not a lot of money, I`d just bite the bullet and buy a new one and swap your parts over. By the time you`ve paid for the welding, re-painted the frame (unless you like it looking gash) had it trued, (possibly heat-treated) then rebuilt it you`ll be out of pocket by more than a new frame. IMHO PLUS, I`m sure it`ll be in the back of your mind every time you hit a pot-hole "was that a good welder I used"??

for example only...

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR250

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR350
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I don't understand why it is up to the OP to chase the driver. Surely the deal is between the OP and the driver's insurer? If the driver has gone away, that's the insurer's problem?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    dodgy wrote:
    I don't understand why it is up to the OP to chase the driver. Surely the deal is between the OP and the driver's insurer? If the driver has gone away, that's the insurer's problem?

sorry i was not too clear. The OP needs to chase up the insrance company as they will not pay out if they can or if you just leave it.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    If the frame so badly damaged what else is damaged?
    The wheels, forks, handle bars etc?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/you ... idents.htm
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    its a very bad area to have damage. if it goes there your in big trouble. id play safe and get another frame . what about the carbon forks as well? im dreading this happening to me. you must be gutted there a lovely bike. might be worth having a small camera for evidence of crashes. a car brushed into me and broke a spoke but i was lucky enough to stay on and nothing else was damaged on my other bike. stood arguing with him and his wife certain that his clear cut right of way mistake was my fault seeming simply because i was on a bike i realised how hard it is to prove anything. he new he was in the wrong because i got him to pay me out £10 to get home and buy a new spoke. i would have pursued it with significant damage. there was luckily a camera near the junction but i dont know weather traffic images are recorded anywhere or how long they are kept.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd forget about fixing the frame and concentrate instead on not letting the insurance company fob you off.
    More problems but still living....
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The insurer is having a laugh at your expense. Take the gloves off.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    "Hello, can I speak to the Tig'er please?"
    "Sorry mate, he's popped out for a Pooh!" LOL!
    ( I'm sorry, but sitting here with 20 head stitches, I need a bit of larf! )

Fight your case...if the bike is under around £750 or so, it "Should" be covered on your house contents insurance. If it's over, on some policies, it would have to be listed as a "Named item", so check this out.

We moved house and our drains cracked. Insurance Co told us " The last house owner is liable for 6 months after you move in." ?????????????
    So, we asked for this in printing, Answer: "Well, it isn't in print but ALL our staff know this"
    We threatened them with the Insurance Ombudsman, plus contacting the Media.
    Guess what, phone call 2 days later..."Go ahead, get drains fixed, we'll pay ALL costs."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's simply not economically viable to repair an aluminium alloy frame - the cost of welding, heat treatment (finding someone competent could be a challenge) re-alignment and finally painting is too much hassle as it's very difficult to guarantee the integrity of the repair without expensive NDT. You can buy a new frame for a couple of hundred - the same as a paint job - and you can still pursue your claim with the insurance company. A repair will always be gash and likely to be unsafe too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    No way the driver's ins co should be giving up just because the driver won't respond. Involve the Insurance Ombudsman.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    dodgy wrote:
    No, the OP has a claim against the driver, the insurance company have a contract with the driver not the OP. The driver may choose to use his insurance company. OP needs to sue the driver - a recorded delivery letter to the driver giving 7 days "notice prior to action" should get things moving, if not, commence a claim through moneyclaim online (https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp - the small claims court online). I had to do this, the driver then played ball with their insurance company and I got compensated in a short time.
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    I think you have two options:

1 - Make a third party claim against his insurance company. Call them up tell them you are making a third party claim and see where you get in them sending you details of how to claim. I've done this a couple of times with damage to a car to avoid claiming my car insurance and them claiming it back off the person at faults insurer. As you won't have bike insurance (I take it from your predicament) then you should try this.

2 - Small claims court. Don't give up without a fight. I see others have posted a link or two on this and I think you can very cheaply see a claim through yourself, normally the threat is enough to get someone to pay up depending on the likely longer term cost and hassle for them. Check out the CTC website - they support their members with free legal advice and in some instances provide free stock letters for "outsiders" to send in claims such as yours.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Re the OP's issue :
    If you have a friendly LBS then might be best to go there and see if they can give the bike a once over ?
    TBH it sounds as if the frame is likely scrap and it would be advisable to get it checked for damage to forks etc.
    Then contact Halfords for a replacement to see what they would charge and even get that side of things moving since it might take a while for a frame to be supplied.