Training - running

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
I've started running about 30-50 miles a week, running to the office etc. My fitness has improved dramatically, whilst keeping the normal approx 50-100 mile weekend cycle. The first time I've run in years, normally it would be just training on the bike. For me climbs I've ridden over the years like Mt Ventoux, Marie Blanque, Grosse Scheidegg, Axalp, Alpe d'Huez to name some - but running is really hard work, I'd forgotten. I'm hoping my running will make me much fitter and prepared for some Sportives this summer. You can't just rely on cycling only, unless you are full time, us part timers need to cross train... running I think is a must, even though Ive only been running over the winter. My resting heart rate in way down, upper body is leaner and toned. Why didn't I do this years ago!!!!!!

If you have the time start running, trails are fun, roads are quiet boring - will make you fiitter and better on the bike!!! Well that's what I'm hoping, definitely my energy levels on the bike are up.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Cycling is better training for cycling than running is.

Sure running will help your all round fitness, but it won't make you a better cyclist compared to if you'd spent the time cycling instead of running.
    More problems but still living....
  • canoas
    True, as far as technique is concerned more cycling the better. I'm hoping the running will make me faster up the climbs, those climbs are all about V02 max, from my experience the climbs are where you make or lose lots of time. If i want to improve on my previous years. To me technique up 7-15% climbs means jack, if your in the same 25th tooth all the way up sitting down or out of the saddle its about fitness period (obviously body weight comes into it). You can lose 15-30mins on a climb easily.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    I cycled (a lot), then played rugby and motor cycled, went to seed a bit, then started running then got into duathlon and found that, despite being off the bike for years, I was a better cyclist than most runners, and a better runner than the pure cyclists even though I was not a good runner; but the cycling club cyclists came past me on the bike.
    Since then I have gone back to cycling (a lot) . I do still run at times when whether (like ice on the roads) dictates.

My conclusions from this experience are:- 1) for a cyclist, running is better than nothing. 2) hill running can be positivly beneficial for the bike. 3) running seems to be good for weight loss 4)When you get older,much running leads to injuries 5) Runners often simply don't put the effort in when they try cycling, it amazed me how some very fit runners went so slow on the bike section of a duathlon.

So I would say, cycle to work and go the long way rather than run
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • canoas
    Cool, I'll take this into consideration. Probably.... your conclusions look right to me.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    I try to do a couple of runs a week as it works best for weight control whilst fitting in with work & family life.

But I am very worried about my knees and now I have got a bike charity multi day ride planned I am only running once a week.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    I also try to do a mix of both, my commute is 10km so i alternate bewteen getting the ferry to work and running home, or running in and getting the ferry home, or riding both ways. I then do a long ride at the w/e.

Admittedly I think running 20km a day is currently beyond me and not good for the joints, but 20km is also not far enough for a decent daily cardio workout :?

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)