What is best to drink while training and riding

jon514
jon514 Posts: 10
I am new to the sport and am looking to get educated. I am training in a class on a simulator 2-3 times a week in preparation for the coming spring. I am not sure what is best to drink while riding. I am looking to get leaner while riding. Is water alone sufficient? Does Gatorade have too much sugar and not enough protein?

I was also told to drink chocolate milk after my rides.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Make sure you're adequately hydrated before you start.

Water alone should be OK for indoor workouts or rides of up to an hour

Once you get into longer rides, you might benefit from an energy drink which will provide carbohydrate for fuel and electrolytes to replace salts lost in sweating. Google them. Usually powders you mix with water.
    (Gatorade is not really suitable; it's fizzy for a start, which makes it harder to drink on the bike, and contains only sugar and water.)

After a long ride or hard workout a recovery drink is recommended to rehydrate you, replace the energy reserves, and provide protein for muscle building / repair. Google recovery drinks. A carb:protein ratio of 4:1 is often suggested. Chocolate milk isn't a bad suggestion.

Look for stuff by SIS, zipvit, hi-5 etc etc

Or do what I do instead:

My usual rides are only 15-50 miles, and for those I get by on orange squash, the odd Frusli bar, and a pocket full of jelly babies. Recovery at home involves a pint of tea and a couple of Hobnobs.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Read this, it tells you everything you need to know: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12572817
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Water, water, water, water. Did I mention water? Add whatever foul tasting mix you deem you must, or have been convinced of by the advertisements, but water is what you will need the most.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    keef66 wrote:
    (Gatorade is not really suitable; it's fizzy for a start, which makes it harder to drink on the bike, and contains only sugar and water.)

While I will agree that there are better drinks out there - pretty much everything you said about Gatorade is incorrect.

It's NOT fizzy. It's just a water-based flavoured drink with no carbonation. I have the powdered mix at home (so it's impossible to have it carbonated unless you add it to soda water!) - and even the pre-mix stuff in the bottles is 'flat'./

It contains electrolytes (sodium and potassium and chloride) as well as some carbs. Also contains B vitamins.

Most people don't realize that Gatorade created the entire sports drink market as they were the first of it's kind (named after the University of Florida 'Gators football team - where one of the coaches created to help give his players a performance boost.

I think the SIS stuff is probably better - but Gatorade is really tasty stuff and I have used it for years.

Water is great, but it won't replace electrolytes. Depends on the length and intensity of your rides.

Post ride choc milk is OK unless you start training very seriously and then a specific recovery drink with protein and carbs can be taken instead (like SIS Re-Go).
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    dennisn wrote:
    Water, water, water, water. Did I mention water? Add whatever foul tasting mix you deem you must, or have been convinced of by the advertisements, but water is what you will need the most.

realy?

if my sweat is salty, im guessing it must me a mix of salt and water.
    im also uing energy so i should try to replace some of that on a longer ride as well.

and plain water will do all that for me.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    All of the sports drinks you can get are very similar, I use Lucozade, Gatorade mainly, and have used SiS in the past, they all perform a similar job in all honesty. The powered versions of Lucozade and Gatorade are very similar to the drinks you buy pre-made. Best thing about Gatorade is the non use of artificial sweetners.

Chocolate milk does contain Protein and Carbs, and in the right mix as well. I again have used SiS Rego in the past and I am currently using For Goodness Shakes (won a years supply), and have not noticed any difference in recovery. Milk protein does take longer to be absorbed by the body, but after really hard sessions I use whey protein as well, before the FGS.

If you eat food regularly whilst riding, water should be fine, unless you are going hard on the ride, and find eating difficult.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

im also uing energy so i should try to replace some of that on a longer ride as well.

Eat, don't eat, drink, don't drink. Do what you will. I stand by my statement that it is water that you will need the most. Here's a little experiment. Take NO fluids with you and see how far you get on electrolyte tablets and power bars. Also note the IV in your arm after the ambulance drops you at the hospital. Then tell me water isn't THE most important thing.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Pokerface wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

While I will agree that there are better drinks out there - pretty much everything you said about Gatorade is incorrect.

It's NOT fizzy. It's just a water-based flavoured drink with no carbonation. I have the powdered mix at home (so it's impossible to have it carbonated unless you add it to soda water!) - and even the pre-mix stuff in the bottles is 'flat'./

It contains electrolytes (sodium and potassium and chloride) as well as some carbs. Also contains B vitamins.

Most people don't realize that Gatorade created the entire sports drink market as they were the first of it's kind (named after the University of Florida 'Gators football team - where one of the coaches created to help give his players a performance boost.

I think the SIS stuff is probably better - but Gatorade is really tasty stuff and I have used it for years.

Water is great, but it won't replace electrolytes. Depends on the length and intensity of your rides.

Post ride choc milk is OK unless you start training very seriously and then a specific recovery drink with protein and carbs can be taken instead (like SIS Re-Go).

Thought you didn't drink Colin? At all!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

Eat, don't eat, drink, don't drink. Do what you will. I stand by my statement that it is water that you will need the most. Here's a little experiment. Take NO fluids with you and see how far you get on electrolyte tablets and power bars. Also note the IV in your arm after the ambulance drops you at the hospital. Then tell me water isn't THE most important thing.
    they dont put a water drip into you. Water alone does not rehydrate at all.
    It is a sline solution in drips
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

Agree 100%. But I am willing to bet that the major ingredient in this drip is water and water by a good margin. I'm also willing to bet that the major ingredient in every "sports" drink is water.
  • Pokerface
    jacster wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Thought you didn't drink Colin? At all!

Only indoors. :)
  • Pokerface
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

Agree 100%. But I am willing to bet that the major ingredient in this drip is water and water by a good margin. I'm also willing to bet that the major ingredient in every "sports" drink is water.

Water is indeed important. But saying ALL you need is water is being somewhat simplistic.

I bet you won't find JUST water in any of the pro's bottles.

For the average rider - water will do the job. But it takes more than plain water to properly rehydrate you, especially on longer efforts. Plain tap water doesn't replace your electrolytes, etc.

A better test would be to compare performance over 100 miles on water vs on a sports drink. The guy with the sports drink will perform better every time.
  • dennisn
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

Water is indeed important. But saying ALL you need is water is being somewhat simplistic.

For the average rider - water will do the job. But it takes more than plain water to properly rehydrate you, especially on longer efforts. Plain tap water doesn't replace your electrolytes, etc.

A better test would be to compare performance over 100 miles on water vs on a sports drink. The guy with the sports drink will perform better every time.

You're still talking about something that's mostly water.
    Are you saying that you couldn't possibly complete a 100 miler by drinking straight water and eating food? That you MUST have a foul tasting SPORTS drink or some sort of slimy wet gu? A banana or fig bars or an apple won't give you the necessary electrolytes to keep you going? We all must believe the pretty advertisements in the magazines that you can't make it without without filling yourself to the brim with sugary, salty sports drinks and eating sugar loaded energy bars that claim to light a rocket in you?
  • Cognac and speed
  • Tom1990
    Tom1990 Posts: 20
    I use orange high juice for both training and racing. I tried all the fancy powder drinks but honestly couldnt notice a difference, plus my stomach didnt like it!

After training I use High-5 Bannana Protein Recovery Powder. It tastes just like McDonalds milkshake :D
  • keef66
    OK ignore what I said about Gatorade, I must've been thinking about something else :oops:
  • Pokerface
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

Are you saying that you couldn't possibly complete a 100 miler by drinking straight water and eating food? That you MUST have a foul tasting SPORTS drink or some sort of slimy wet gu? A banana or fig bars or an apple won't give you the necessary electrolytes to keep you going? We all must believe the pretty advertisements in the magazines that you can't make it without without filling yourself to the brim with sugary, salty sports drinks and eating sugar loaded energy bars that claim to light a rocket in you?

I can see you're as obstinate in the Training section as you are in the Pro Cycling section.

As usual you fail to READ what others write and reply in kind, instead going off on your own tangent. :roll:
  • dennisn
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

I can see you're as obstinate in the Training section as you are in the Pro Cycling section.

As usual you fail to READ what others write and reply in kind, instead going off on your own tangent. :roll:

I know. In defence of myself I'm old and am developing an "I don't care atitude". I'm right, you're wrong, and that's all there is to it. Sad but true. :wink::wink:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    SIS stuff is on offer @ Tescos at the moment. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • jon514 wrote:
    I am new to the sport and am looking to get educated. I am training in a class on a simulator 2-3 times a week in preparation for the coming spring. I am not sure what is best to drink while riding. I am looking to get leaner while riding. Is water alone sufficient? Does Gatorade have too much sugar and not enough protein?

You might find this, and several of the other items on this website to be of help in sorting the wheat from the chaff (or the water from the sports drinks):
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... o_needs_it
  • keef66
    OK, now I'm interested in Gatorade, where can I buy the powder at a sensible price?? Googling just throws up lots of people moaning that they have to import the stuff.

Or the closest UK available alternative.
  • Pokerface
    keef66 wrote:
    OK, now I'm interested in Gatorade, where can I buy the powder at a sensible price?? Googling just throws up lots of people moaning that they have to import the stuff.

Or the closest UK available alternative.

I always buy mine off eBay - even if it has to be shipped from the US. I try and buy several big bags of it at once to save on shipping costs. I've managed to find it on eBay shipped from the UK also in the past.

• Water is indeed important. But saying ALL you need is water is being somewhat simplistic.

nobody said that though...!
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I use an electrolyte drink. It seems to get rid of after training muscle cramps.
  • Pokerface

I think if you read back over Dennis' threads, you will see that he is advocating plain water over a sports drink. There is mention of food at times, but the implication was indeed that water is ALL you need on a ride.
  • dennisn
    jon514 wrote:

You might find this, and several of the other items on this website to be of help in sorting the wheat from the chaff (or the water from the sports drinks):

I would play devils advocate and note that "This web page is brought to you by Gatorade".
  • dennisn
    Pokerface wrote:

I think if you read back over Dennis' threads, you will see that he is advocating plain water over a sports drink. There is mention of food at times, but the implication was indeed that water is ALL you need on a ride.

That's sort of like saying that you are proposing that ALL you need for long rides, and nutrition afterwords, Is a bottle of sugar and salt water, a few packets of gels, and a sugary energy bar. I don't think that was your intent though. Just as mine was not to say
    water was the ONLY thing. Just the main thing and the main thing in sports drinks is water. It's the main thing in all DRINKS.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    dennisn wrote:
    jon514 wrote:

I would play devils advocate and note that "This web page is brought to you by Gatorade".

http://www.maximuscle.co.uk/energy

This impartial guide is equally useful :lol:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

realy?

I know. In defence of myself I'm old and am developing an "I don't care atitude". I'm right, you're wrong, and that's all there is to it. Sad but true. :wink::wink:

you are also giveing out wrong information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

please read the bottom of the first paragraph

Im not or ever have said that you need a powder in a bottle to rehydrate properly.

apple juice mixed with water and sodium and potasium salts would do just as well. But saying just use water and water is what you need can lead to big big problems for some rides especialy if they go for long hot rides and are salty sweaters .

and to clarify

THE most important thing is to get have a balanced hydration of water and electrolites. Miss one or the other and you are scuppered.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dennisn
    THE most important thing is to get have a balanced hydration of water and electrolites. Miss one or the other and you are scuppered.[/quote]

I agree. You're preaching to the choir on that. You must have noticed though, that ALL
    of the drink mixes that are out there require a lot more water than anything else. Also ALL of the energy / hydration drinks contain mostly water. Although for some reason
    most manufacturers seem intent on putting foul tasting flavoring in them.
    Why is it that they do this(put lots of water in their drinks)? I can't believe that anyone couldn't just look around themselves and determine that plain water is pretty much on a par with air in the cycle of life. I think you have way underestimated water and it's importance to human life. Also if all these electrolytes are so good for you why can't you
    survive being lost at sea by drinking sea water? Plenty of good salt there. It's what you need??? Right???? Plain, fresh water won't help you if you're shipwrecked??? It's got to
    be Gatorade??? Sorry about the sarcasm. Couldn't resist. It's a problem with me.