World Cyclo Cross Champioships 2010

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know if this event is being shown in the UK via Eurosport or any other provider?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Eurosport aren't showing it as far as I'm aware. You're best bet is to find a web stream, and there are some good links here;

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =4&t=67973
  • Who do you reckon to win? Albert, Nys and Stybar are all looking strong, could be any one of them. But for the women's I think I'd have to go for Vos!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's gonna be a close call and could be down to conditions on the day and how many of Nys' fans are prepared to sabotage his opponents and whether the Belgians are prepared to ride as a team - which frankly is unlikely. It would be nice in some ways if Stybar gets a shot, but he'll be heavily marked so suspect it will still go to a Belgian - expect that 7 out of the top-10 will be Belgians too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    When is it guys?
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    When is it guys?

This coming weekend, not sure of the times, men's race will be on Sunday afternoon...
  • andyp
    A frozen course is likely to suit Stybar, given that's what he was raised riding, but as MD says, he'll be heavily marked. If he can overcome that, and the pressure of being the home favourite then he should be in with a very good chance.

The Belgians have strength in depth so if they can avoid infighting, and that's a big if, then I'd expect Nys or Alberts to figure in the results. But, as has been shown to be the case in recent seasons, quite often a lesser name can win the race by getting a gap early and then benefitting from the chase being slowed by team mates behind.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I reckon Albert is the main favourite, together with Stybar. Don't underestimate the Czech strength in depth, at home, with Simunek, Dlask and Ausbuher.
    Pauwels is going very well too now, and could well profit from Albert and Stybar looking too much at each other, although Pauwels is definitely beyond just being an outsider.
    Nys, not sure. What was that last weekend in Hoogerheide, Nys being knackered and too old to follow the youngsters getting into top shape, or being smart and taking it easy halfway just before the Worlds?
    andyp wrote:
    But, as has been shown to be the case in recent seasons, quite often a lesser name can win the race by getting a gap early and then benefitting from the chase being slowed by team mates behind.
    OK, many years with Nys not winning despite being top favourite, but I can't think of any lesser names winning the Worlds the last 10 years or so.
  • andyp
    I'd say that Boom and Alberts were surprise winners at the last two Worlds. Both were good strong riders but neither was classified as a favourite beforehand. Last year Alberts definitely benefitted from making an early break and then having the Belgian team close down the race behind him.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yes, very often the top favourite beforehand hasn't won, like Boom last year and Nys the year before (and a whole range of years before that), but it has always been one of the other favourites winning, never a 'lesser rider'. Albert in 2009 and Boom in 2008 were not the very top favourite, but they were among the 5 or so riders with a serious chance for the championship.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Niels Albert was mega at the weekened.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Odelay!
    Odelay! Posts: 58
    Albert looks strong as.
  • What a finish!
    A wheel in it. Oh for another 5 metres.....
    Yes, much snow and ice. Tomorrow should be spectacular.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Seems that British Cycling have a live feed tomorrow from noon tomorrow.

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/sport/article/cyc20100125-UCI-Cyclocross-World-Championships-0
  • I have a blank screen.
    Sporzas is working for the Ladies CERA Challenge. :wink:
    http://bvls-feed.blogspot.com/2009/11/ch-3.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Try these:

http://voetbal-kijken.blogspot.com/
    http://bvls-feed.blogspot.com/2009/11/ch-3.html

Haven't tried them out cos my internet planned is capped cos i went oveer the download limit, but i found them on another site.
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stybar rode pretty well a perfect race - pressed hard mid-race and left the others to sort out the placings - I think Vantornout, Nys and Bina racing against each other might have been to Stybar's advantage. The course looked fast, but grip appeared marginal in places- a few times there were some slides on the 180 turn and all riders appeared to tumble or slip at one stage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Think Vos rode a pretty good race too. Interesting that Annie Last was the first British finisher, could make next weekend's nationals a bit interesting.

Hold on, that's a double interesting :D