456 passes CEN test

fcumok
fcumok Posts: 283
edited February 2010 in MTB general
After all that talk of getting rid of them it seems that they passed the test anyway :roll:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=21537

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's quite funny. Legendary On One marketing ahoy! "Buy it now, it's the last one!" "This sort of steel frame is dying!"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    That's pretty cool.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    "While other manufacturers have redesigned, added weight..."

They weigh enough!

What about the standard Inbred?
  • fcumok
    I think I read that they didn't have too many worries about the inbred. The trouble with the 456 was that it needed to withstand a 6in fork under pressure.
  • why are they stopping the production of them?
  • fcumok
    There was talk of them not passing the CEN tests. I guess now it's passed they'll carry on.
  • fcumok
    Turns out the inbred is going :shock:
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=21555
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    fcumok wrote:
    Turns out the inbred is going :shock:
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=21555

Shame, used to love mine, only a severe excess of bikes made me sell my rigid singlespeed.

Hmmm must sort me another singlespeed
  • Just received my slotted Inbred frame yesterday, so I would be interested to know how/why it failed.

Not had thorough look as yet, but it does look a lot nicer in real life than in the pics. Going to run it as a singlespeed for now, and then geared in the Summer (if we ever bloody have one again).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • fcumok
    Just received my slotted Inbred frame yesterday, so I would be interested to know how/why it failed.

Not had thorough look as yet, but it does look a lot nicer in real life than in the pics. Going to run it as a singlespeed for now, and then geared in the Summer (if we ever bloody have one again).

I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's not like we've seen loads of Inbred frames failing. I would have loved to have bought that frame you've bought but don't have the money/space for it in the collection. Hope you enjoy it :D
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Don't know how the CEN tests works but do they put lines on the results where some types of frames are allowed fail at a certain pressure?

I mean the inbred for example should withstand at least 30 (whatever) and the Summer Season, 80?
    Or do they both have to withstand a pressure of 50 (Pa, KPa, whatever)?

Bit stupid the description, but do you get my point?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Xtreem wrote:
    I mean the inbred for example should withstand at least 30 (whatever) and the Summer Season, 80?
    Or do they both have to withstand a pressure of 50 (Pa, KPa, whatever)?

It's a standard test for all so you don't get to say, frinstance "that's an XC bike so we'll test it more gently than a DH bike". But, the tests do include a "fork" of equivalent size, so the inbred would have been tested with the shorter bar presumably while the 456 got the long one- more leverage means more strain. A frame might pass with the short bar but fail with the long.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I would have loved to have bought that frame you've bought but don't have the money/space for it in the collection. Hope you enjoy it

Cheers! I'm hoping to get it built this weekend! :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    good news all round.. . bloody love my 456 :)
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!