white rose challenge

Rehnquist
Rehnquist Posts: 32
Anybody know if this is running this year? Think I had entered by Xmas last year. This is the sportive from Ilkley (not the white rose classic from Hawes)

Comments

• I've been wondering myself as it was open by this time last year. I keep checking the website but no updates on it. Shame, as it was a good one.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Derek...are you out there??

Any news on this years event?
  • I did hear on Friday from someone who'd been talking to someone who was involved with organising last year's (if that makes sense) that they are intending to do it this year - early June was mentioned, as the Pendle Pedal's now moved to 26th June, which I guess would be the equivalent weekend to last year.
  • I guess the orgainiser, Derek Boocock, may have had other things on his mind. Anyone who entered online last year got an email from sportident in late July 2009, which contained the following information:
    Now for some bad news...

Friends will know that both myself and Caroline have been fighting Cancer since 2005, but we have received news that Caroline is now terminally ill with secondary stage breast cancer and has only months to live. With treatment we may be able to extend this and are taking comfort in the way Jane Tomlinson beat the disease for many years.

I don't have any up to date information, I'm afraid, but clearly the last 8 months or so will have been a difficult time for Derek.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I guess the orgainiser, Derek Boocock, may have had other things on his mind. Anyone who entered online last year got an email from sportident in late July 2009, which contained the following information:
    Now for some bad news...

Friends will know that both myself and Caroline have been fighting Cancer since 2005, but we have received news that Caroline is now terminally ill with secondary stage breast cancer and has only months to live. With treatment we may be able to extend this and are taking comfort in the way Jane Tomlinson beat the disease for many years.

I don't have any up to date information, I'm afraid, but clearly the last 8 months or so will have been a difficult time for Derek.

**** . Cancer is one b*****d of a desease, I lost 3 friends to it last year alone. I first met Deeck and Caroline on the RR recci ride a couple of years ago. Why is it always the good ones.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Didn't Derek organise the Classic ( Hawes/Pig pen one), the Challenge may be someone else????

Regardless, it's an absolute shame nonetheless.
  • The Classic is BC, the Challenge is Derek.

I think I read on his photography website some months ago that he was nursing his wife and was not checking the web that often as a result.