Meta 5.5.2 Lower Shock Bush

sam_commencal
sam_commencal Posts: 99
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My lower shock bush has just developed a little bit of play. There is a knocking when lifting the bike up by the seat and I'm sure its the bush, not the pivot bearings.

Does anybody know how easy these are to replace (would I need a bushing tool etc)
Also, what sort of cost is it likely to be if I took it to the shop? Just phoned up one LBS and they couldn't do it and another quoted £45! I was thinking £15 ish...?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the shock?

if a Fox and you want to do it yourself.

new DU bush and mounting kit £19,50 tool to remove and fit DU bush From £30.00
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's a fox RP2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see edit above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    If avail, recommend replacing with a "Strong" bush (reducer) kit and Nylon(??) DU bearing from BETD. If you are having to replace these often.

My normal alum reducers never lasted more than a few months on my dawg, primary reason being the split design of the reducers and the fact that the through bolt flexed.

With the BETD kit, have never needed to replace. The reducer is one piece through the shock, with a spacer on the "other" side just to keep the shock centred.

Re removal of DU bearings - you can use sockets and a vice. You will need to select a socket that is JUST the right o/d to push the bearing out and one on the receiving end of any suitable larger size.
    Giant Reign X1
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've recently replace mine on a 5.5.2, the parts came to £13.90 from T F Tuned and better than the ones supplied with the bike.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Additional-D ... Kits-127mm
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • its the teflon bush in the shock thats worn, ive gone through 3 in 8 months, my lbs charge me 5 quid to change it, you can do it yourself if you have the right jig
    andy
    anthem x with many upgrades