Hello all ....new to forum

Robie P
Robie P Posts: 39
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Thought I would say hello as Ive been lurking on the forum. Just got back on the saddle again after eight years :roll: ...only been out on the trails the last couple of weeks, done a 16 mile slog yesterday and my legs still feel pumped :cry:
Im currently riding a Carrea Kraken...but looking at a Cube Acid or Kona Blast delux, just cant make my mind up !!!
A mate told me today that Im a bit old for that push bike lark :oops: ( 40+ )
Any way I will stop gasing on...just thought I would say Hi to fellow MTBers

Rob

Comments

• Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    Hi. If you're too old, what does that make me? I haven't ridden a pushbike regularly since I was 16 (34 years ago!) I'm really looking forward to getting out into the country this year 8)

Good luck :D
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Welcome from another teenager give or take a few decades. What does your helpful mate suggest we should do at this age?
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    Hello from another the wrong side of 40 (or the right side, depends which way you look at it).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are never to old to be throwing yourself down a hillside.

well that is what I keep telling myself.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fatwomble
    nicklouse wrote:

Although there does eventually come a day when you're too old to drag yourself up.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I'm 27, but I regularly ride with a few guys over 40 who can kick my arse all over the trails anyday! You're never too old!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fatwomble wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Although there does eventually come a day when you're too old to drag yourself up.

nope, why do you think i moved to Sweden, chair lifts/drags etc :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fatwomble
    nicklouse wrote:
    fatwomble wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

nope, why do you think i moved to Sweden, chair lifts/drags etc :wink:

Fair point, so instead of looking for a bungalow to retire too, I need to find somewhere with a chair lift or uplift service :lol:
  • I'm 27, but I regularly ride with a few guys over 40 who can kick my ars* all over the trails anyday! You're never too old!

I remember going out with my day when I was about 16. He must've been about mid 40s at the time but used to pushing himself a bit from weight training. Christ, I've never been so knackered! But I couldn't give in to the embarrassment of lagging behind, while he's enthusiastically shouting at me 'come on, this is the bit the really works you!'

He could barely walk for about a week afterwards though. Which is the real difference in age. You just need to ease yourself into it a bit at first as recovery times become longer.
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Hey, welcome! I cant comment on the age thing! ;D
  • Welcome to the forum 8)

As for being to old........ im 28 my dads 46 and he runs rings round me on the trails!! :cry:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    ello. I have the last model of the Blast and it's been a great bike. Kona do make some great frames.
  • Robie P
    Robie P Posts: 39
    Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Hope to get into town ( Winchester) and test ride a Cube Acid this weekend if Im not working, also need a new pair of cycling shorts as my current ones do seem a bit tight after 8 years of non use ,,,,, they must of shrunk....cough cough!!
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    I'm 46 and i kick my son's ass on the trails uphill... but that's only because he's spent too much time glued to an XBox. (my fault i guess). Anyhoo he's 17 and really loving mountain biking so hopefully i will have got him into an exercise he really enjoys.

But yeah... anyone who says you're too old at 40+... what a saddo!

Only difference nowadays is that I'm probably a bit more circumspect about risk than i was 30 years ago.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk