Tyre repair

camerauk
camerauk Posts: 1,000
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
is it possible to repair this split in my rear tyre ?
maybe a strong patch inside the tyre!!!! I fitted a scab patch just to get me back to the trail centre which you can see coming through
the tyre is new only rode it for 15 miles and it split(Wiggle are sending me a new tyre free) but just wanted to know if I would repair this one to use as a spare
would it be better to run it on the front if I could repair it?
3ce772ff.jpg

cheers
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    im not sure abou that , as its on the actuall tread are. but my back tyre got a split in the sidewall, and i used a proper (glue and patch) puncture patch, along with a piece of duck tape and its been fine for the past three months....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Ahhh duck tape never thought of that may give that a go if nobody has any other ideas
    cheers
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    google vulcanising rubber repair
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mmacavity wrote:
    google vulcanising rubber repair

why?

that will not replace the damaged cords/fibers.

I would bin the tyre yes it is small but it wont take long to get bigger. and as you say you have another on the way.

Park do a sleeve for a get you home and it is quite stiff to stop the tube pushing through any hole.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    nick, i would say a repair is viable for use as a spare, its a shame to chuck a almost new tyre, if you use a big (so it coveres the hole, and a good area around it.) puncture patch, and apply it super well, then add a layer of duck tape, it will stop it spliting, iv done it, and it works fine.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    It seems to be small. I would inflate the tyre to more than what you would be doing ordinarily and check if it "lumps".

If it does then it won't be very nice to ride.

If you want it as a last resort sort of thing / cant bear to dump it, try fixing it with an auto tube patch which is thicker than a bike patch. Ideally though as NIck says re the fibres, you would want a repair that has fibres in it. Probably duct tape (which is fibrous) may keep the inner from going outer but the adhesion is not strong enough to afford any structural strength ie it wont stop the tube from "lumping".

Some rubber sheeting does contain fibres however so if you are willing to try on a nothing to lose basis, maybe try a patch of that, who knows, maybe attached with cyanoacrylate? It's quite good on rubber. Just a thought.
    Giant Reign X1