hope pro 2 rear hub explosion

scottgeniusltd2005
scottgeniusltd2005 Posts: 575
edited January 2010 in MTB general
has anybody ever had a hope pro 2 mtb rear hub split across its length? mine just went bang on an uphill in granny ring. looked at it and it haas split completely across from spoke hole to spoke hole. it also has a few little cracks as well. its not under warranty but do you think hope will feel guilty and give a replacement hub?
Cotic Soul rider.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Oooh, another one!

Yes, been quite a few do this.
  • really? how many and how did hope react?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LOL

what year was it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 2006 i think
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Sounds nasty. I'm suprised there hasn't been a bad accident with the way these are breaking.
  • nicklouse
    scottgeniusltd2005
    be aware that the classifieds have been split into two.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Yeah this can happen - just call Hope, they generally replace them free of charge. Don't believe the hype that this happens often, or just to Hopes. It's rare and can happen to any hub.
  • nicklouse
    el loco pollo

maybe, but no other hub have hub braking/splitting topic raised on this forum.
  • nik young
    nik young Posts: 257
    my hub nuff said

101_1318.jpg
  • yep, i've got one of those in red. did you contact hope?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • nik young
    yep fixed it free of charge :lol:
  • nice one. did they rebuild the wheel or just supply new hub?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • nik young
    i just sent them the hub but they might build the wheel as its not your fault it broke
  • i'll be gld of a replacement hub tbh.mines 4 years old, tho that should not make a difference
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    nicklouse wrote:
    el loco pollo

maybe, but no other hub have hub braking/splitting topic raised on this forum.
    Not on this forum but I have also seen Chris King hubs do the same.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I've seen King hubs do this and XT, probably less than 5 times over a 15 year period though. Internet forums weren't around in the old days, arrr.
  • nicklouse
    strange that an XT could do it as it does not have the part that causes the problem.

yes i have seem hubs pull spoke holes out but the Hope problem is not that.
  • Dam i always swear by hope hubs :?
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • nik,

which part causes the problem?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • nicklouse
    this is what i have been led to understand what happens.

First lets look at how the ratchet ring fits into the hub body.

It screws in so it can be replaced.

now the action of pedaling tightens the ring (hard metal) into the hub.
    And if the hub does not have enough strength it splits.

just like a plastic bottle cap when it "pops" over the threads but in this case the hub splits and causes a the spokes to come out as well as the spoke holes open as well.
  • update:

you gotta love hope. rang them up. told me to get it to them as a wheel and they would sort it. bonus, i get my wheel rebuilt. i have had problems with my hope hid light, hope vision 4 led light, but the after market customer service is more than enough to make up for the slight inconveniences.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    update:

you gotta love hope. rang them up. told me to get it to them as a wheel and they would sort it. bonus, i get my wheel rebuilt. i have had problems with my hope hid light, hope vision 4 led light, but the after market customer service is more than enough to make up for the slight inconveniences.

Thats a good result then.

Although I'd rather buy stuff that was less likely to fail, even if that meant worse customer service. After all, customer service is no use 10 miles from home, in the dark and the rain when you've got no lights or your hub's exploded :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • but after 4 years use? not bad i don't think
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No I know, it just seems that when people talk about Hope, there's an awful lot of "Yes, that's a known problem, but they'll be good about sorting it out for you when it happens".

Which is good when something does go wrong, but it's better that things don't go wrong in the first place. As I said, good result for you though, excellent customer service :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • yep have to pick it up in the morning. they would have had it ready in an hour but i didn't have time to wait.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • update: picked up the wheel this morning perfectly built and is all nice and shiny. the only thing out of true is my schwarble mud shark evolution.

so to summarize....my hope rear hub exploded and split spoke to spoke. i rang hope who said either send or bring it to them. i took it in, it would have been ready in one hour but i chose to pick it up the following morning. they asked no questions as to how old it was or where i bought it or even if it was mine.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's almost as good as if they'd built a hub that doesn't explode :lol: Joking apart, very good recovery of what would have been a bad situation with many companies.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i'm quite happy. tbh they could have just buggered me off. so they have designed a possible dud and obviously care about image / reputation. it was the no questions asked that impressed me. i could easily have bought it second hand.
    Cotic Soul rider.