Lezyne alloy Drive pump... (Rant coming!)

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
Went out today, to meet up with a potentially new club, and a BR member, and do my first RT of the year.
Parked up, put the rest of my kit on, pulled the bike out of the car. Not too far to the start of the RT, time in hand, so I ate a flap jack.
Helmet on, I swing a leg over the bike :shock: ... front tyre flat ( was ok an hour earlier, when putting it in the car).
Pull Lezyne pump off the bike, to pump tyre up. Attach hose and pump... :D Tyre feels ok so, I remove pump... :evil: The fcuking hose removes the valve guts! B*stard, insert guts, tighten insert as best I can, re-attach hose, taking care not to tighten too much, try again... Doh! Same again. :evil: :evil:
On reflection:
I should have gone straight for a spare tube (I have two!).
I shouldn't have screwed the pumps hose on so tight to the valve.
I shouldn't have squandered time, eating a flap jack.
I should have taken my tool tray & track pump (normally do!).
I should periodically check valve inserts for tightness.
I shouldn't spit my dummy out and throw teddy in the gutter! :evil: I almost kicked the bike to death! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Faffing about, I missed the start time... Sorry Markos!

So, if you use a pump with a hose... Either check valve inserts, or don't tighten hose too much, or both. :wink:
On a plus, I saw Emma Pooley whilst driving home!... My God, is she petite!
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You're not the only one, Hopper1.

Got a rear wheel puncture which put a big split in the tyre. My useless cheapo combined Co2/hand pump went through all three cartridges without putting anything more than about 10lbs in the tyre and the hand pump bit was good enough to barely get enough air in to stop the rim bouncing on the road.

Some days just piss you off, more so as it was the first opportunity for a decent ride since Xmas. :x
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    <cough> Topeak Road Master Blaster <cough>
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It's a bit unfair to name Lezyne in the thread title isn't it? I've had that happen with my non-Lezyne pump and I wouldn't think any particular brand would be more prone to it than any other...?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Why not?

He didn't criticise Lezyne for it's product, just gave a report of what happened. If your chain broke you would surely mention what make it was.