Warm Training camp/venue for early February - Any Suggestion

ridgeracer
ridgeracer Posts: 8
edited February 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,
I'm looking for a suitable venue for a weeks road cycling 1st week in Feb. If anybody has any personal experience and knows of any companies that can be recommended I'd be very grateful.
Somewhere with warm climate/some hills/hopefully others to ride with and cheap flights from London area prefered.

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Southern Spain? Quick-Step were in Calpe recentlly,Sky were in Valencia and Girona is popular. Rabobank are currently in Almeria. Milram were out in Majorca at Christmas. Andalucia generally gets a good press
    M.Rushton
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I'm away to Majorca on 19th Feb. £350 thru Thomsons. That's including taking the bike. There are 16 from my club going over.

If you fancied an organised trip I'd recommend Sportactive. I've been away with them a couple of times & they are a good bunch.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Stuart Hall Cycling was recommended to me and they have extended their 'early bird specials' of £35 a day for some decent guided riding in Mallorca.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    We're off to Almeria 2nd week of Feb.

Get in touch with my clubmate Mark - http://www.bici-almeria.com/
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Andalucia by the coast or even inland - cold evenings but dryish .....Or australia!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Australian customs are very very strict on the cleanliness of your bike coming in, and will charge you a hefty sum should they decide it needs cleaning at the airport.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Australia? Have you seen the temps in the TDU reports??
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    spec was WARM! when does warm become too hot? 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andy162 wrote:
    I'm away to Majorca on 19th Feb. £350 thru Thomsons. That's including taking the bike. There are 16 from my club going over.

Is that just the flight or flight plus accom?
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Pokerface wrote:
    andy162 wrote:

Is that just the flight or flight plus accom?

That's all in. We've booked it through Ideal Travel (who used to sponsor our club). The flight and accomodation is about £320, bike on the plane is an extra £30.

It's a 4* hotel, half board so it's abit of a bargain tbh.
  • Tom1990
    Tom1990 Posts: 20
    +1 for calpe. Big english population, nice roads, mixture of terrain for riding.

About 18-20oC in February according to the ex-pro who I hired a bike from in the summer.

Check out http://www.solybike.com/
  • Essex
  • Essex
    Yep, the Maldon mud flats are positively balmy this time of year.
  • Just back from Tenerife, cant beat it, I go back every year. Sunny mid 20's and a mountain pass way over 2000m with numerous ways up.

Plus Radioshack will be there first week of feb.
  • Weather all over Spain and Italy at the moment is unseasonably crap - cold polar air has brought loads of snow and rain and temps have plunged. Majorca has been suffering from major rainfalls and serious winds this week - but it could all change in a day or two, that's the gamble. There isn't anywhere in Europe that can guaranteed good weather in Jan/Feb, only a higher probability. Sky chose Valencia because, historically, the Spanish Costa Blanca gets more dry days and warmer weather than anywhere else (according to their own team announcements). However when they were there it was pretty cold, windy and, on some days, wet.

Quickstep, Katusha and Astana were about 100 miles down the coast in Calpe and also experienced a real mixed bag - but, like Sky, they were there because the records say it is the safest place to be weather-wise (and also because it has great roads and plenty of climbing).

Tenerife and Lanzarote also had their fair share of biblical rainfall a few weeks back with huge mudslides and cars floating down the streets . . .

As they say on the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future performance - the weather is always a gamble, some places just have much better odds than others.
  • cjessop
    cjessop Posts: 36
    Just back from Lanzarote, weather was great so was cycling. 3rd time of going, would recommend.
  • I'm off to Cyprus on 24/2/10 for a week. Costing me £125 on easyjet including cost of bike and a case - the price is return as well !!! Staying with family so cutting costs, but I know of apartments/hotels open for around £125 for the week...
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Lanzarote for me too. Can be windy but temperatures typically 20-25C.
    Yes there was a very wet week leading up to Xmas but that is exceptional.
    During that rain the temperatures were, if anything, higher than usual.
  • claudb wrote:
    Lanzarote for me too. Can be windy but temperatures typically 20-25C.
    Yes there was a very wet week leading up to Xmas but that is exceptional.
    During that rain the temperatures were, if anything, higher than usual.

Not so exceptional - torrential rain, severe road flooding and 90km winds so far this week (1 February).
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Sorry to hear that. I'd still rather be there than here mind !!!
    Here's the BBC Weather forecast for the next few days - looks OK to me.
    [/url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/196
    Good Luck