what does Integrated Seat tube mean ?

sibike
sibike Posts: 257
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
looking at buying a new bike and it says its got a Integrated Seat tube but what does that mean ? is there any difference or do all bikes have Integrated Seat tubes.
what are the pros and cons if any ? bike is a scott addict r4

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Post is cut to length and not adjustable. Saves weight and is more aerodynamic I guess.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Integrated seat tube means the seat tube goes all the way to the saddle - no need for a separate seatpost.

Pro's - Lighter, stiffer, no seapost to slip
    Con's - Cut the tube wrong and you could end up with a scrap frame, harder to sell on
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    dont really get what your saying .when i look at the picture of the bike it looks normal to me and adjustable - take a look :

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... --ec016330
  • I think the description on the Evans website is wrong - it has a conventional seat tube and separate seat pillar.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    blackhands wrote:
    I think the description on the Evans website is wrong - it has a conventional seat tube and separate seat pillar.

+1
    That's not integrated :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    your better off with that post. unless you are a pro its bullmuck. if your not at the cutting edge body wise its more trouble than its worth. im all for low weight but not at the expense of to fragile and unreliable.a couple kilos of your weight is better than off the bike.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I was under the assumption that it meant the seat post was built specifically for the seat tube. I.e. not just a simple tubular one that can be interchanged but one that is shaped differently like on many TT bikes like the one on here Onyxx_Alexxo_side_lo.jpg what would that be called then?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Proprietary Aero seatpost
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it says integrated seat tube not seat post. ? :?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Surely, all conventional bikes have an integrated seat tube! I've not seen one where you can remove it when you feel necessary. :lol:
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    it means the seat tube of the bike replaces a seatpost you have to cut it to size and then your seat mounts on a cap that clamps straight to the top of the seat tube cutting out the need for a seatpost and saving a load of weight. but as has been said b4 it lowers resale value and if you cut it wrong your left with a scrap frame.
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    And to confuse you even further, there are also semi-integrated seat posts as on the Trek Madones - see sig for pic .....(note, shameless plug to get you to look at my bike :lol: )
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • look for a picture of a scott addict ltd, then it will see exactly what a integrated seat tube is, (some giants are the same, as are some looks and time bikes), looks great, real pain in the ass- practically no adjustment,nightmare to put in the back of a car and if you want to box or bag it up for travelling- forget it.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Sorry Tri-sexual bit of a thicky here but why is it a mare to put in the back of a car?

I've never had to take off seat or seat post for that purpose. Can't comment re bagging up as haven't needed to do that yet but would be good to know.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Most bike cases require the seatpost to be removed.