Gutted!!! Dent in frame on first ride :-(

bigdavep
bigdavep Posts: 64
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Went for a quick blast on my new to me bike. Put new chain on and carbon bars and went out. Had to lean it againts a wall for a second and it fell over. the top tube hit a sharp corner of wall and put a horrible lookin dent in it.. Gutted isnt the word..

img00122201001240903.jpg

img00123201001240903.jpg

Got some new forks comin tuesday as well!!!

I know you cant keep a bike lookin new forever and the frame will probably be fine but still well annoyed!!!

Comments

• Time for a sticker.Lost count how many frames I've marked.Kona on the way to paint shop right now.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    gutted for you
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Know how you feel, chipped my Stumpjumper putting into my workstand within days of gettring it. It's even more annoying when it gets damaged and it was not ride related.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    be thankful it wasn't a carbon fibre bike, you'd be looking for a new frame....
    Don't think, BE:
  • think if it was just a chip in the paint it wouldnt be so bad...the fact its a dent as well annoys me more..
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I did similar on a BMX frame I used to have, had it a week before bailing & it hitting a hand rail. I just filled the dent with car body filler & painted it, you couldn't tell it had ever been dented.
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    I managed to chip my new inbred frame on the top tube before I had even put the damn thing together. Found a sticker to cover it though. My own fault for not considering the possible outcomes of using the headset instalation lumphammer tool.
  • i know it's gonna bug the hell out of me now though...

can see me lookin for a new frame soon!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that would be new frame time for me im afraid, not because it needs it but it really would bug the hell out of me.

as mentioned above, its even more annoying when its not a proper battle scar. i feel your pain my friend.
  • off to look for a new frame now then!!!
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    man i know that sick feeling well. I ding the tank on my motorbike when i was parking it up, i feel for you man :oops:
  • first time I took out the fury the chain pulled the rear mech into the chainstay and chipped off the lovely white finish in about four points! ARGHHH. now has a lizardskin chainstay protector on it to cover it and prevent further damage if it happens again. I was so annoyed but my son said if you wanted an ornament why did you buy a bikeI After I finished beating him I figured in the life of the bike it's going to get more than that so just accept it.

I just wish bike manufactueres would do touch up kits to deal with this sort of thing. Some people spend more on a bike then they would on a car.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, that sucks. But it was going to happen sooner or later, at least you've got it over with!
    wobbem wrote:
    be thankful it wasn't a carbon fibre bike, you'd be looking for a new frame....

Cobblers.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RockingDad wrote:
    I just wish bike manufactueres would do touch up kits to deal with this sort of thing. Some people spend more on a bike then they would on a car.
    RockingDad

my bike came with a pot of original colour-matched repair paint.
    that is all.
    8)
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    just remembered , the paintwork touch up kits that halfords sell for cars work just as well
    on bikes.
    hundreds of colours available , so easy to match with bike.
    this may help fellow bike-tarts. :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thats a scratch, not a dent!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Thats a scratch, not a dent!

Trust me its a dent!!! only a small one though i suppose..

will try halfrauds for some touch up paint tomorrow!
  • Northwind
    Humbrol model paints are another good option for touch ups... Very very tough, and cheap, but not as much choice of colour.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I didn't think you could get Humbrol paints any more, didn't they go bust?
  • Northwind
    You might be right, I was meaning more generically enamel model paints, <insert name of model paint here>. Sort of like hoover ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sorry - I wasn't being picky, it's just I went to try and buy some recently at a small hardware shop and was told that. I thought maybe he was telling me porkies :)
  • Northwind
    Ah, Hornby bought up the paints business
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    really unlucky there :(
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The first scratch on a new frame is horrible, I got one on my Anthem when it was in my mate's van for a short hop to the pub after a night ride. It still irritates me now because it was so preventable!
  • I feel your piant mate, my 2nd ride of my new Cube at C-Y-B and dented the frame also :cry: I came off my old Trek loads of times but not one dent.

SDC10660.jpg
  • I feel your piant mate, my 2nd ride of my new Cube at C-Y-B and dented the frame also :cry: I came off my old Trek loads of times but not one dent.

SDC10660.jpg

ouch mate!!! kinda gettin over the dent now..suppose i'm lucky i got the bike cheap. anyway touch up paint tomorrow and maybe i wont notice the dent as much
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Are side effects one of the drawbacks of double/tripple butted and lighter frames?
  • Kiblams wrote:
    Are side effects one of the drawbacks of double/tripple butted and lighter frames?

Maybe?? might not have dented the same way if it had hit near the end of the tube where ithe alu is thicker!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm looking for a dent but can only see a scratch - something that any proper mtb should be covered in from wheel to wheel. I reckon I've head cable rub worse than that! 8)

Don't get me wrong - the first scratch is horrible, but it's just the way it is.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.