Rain stops play

bigricky
bigricky Posts: 92
Morning all, got up this morning looking foward to going on my first club run in about 7 weeks, only to find out is pissing down!!! i am so frustrated with the weather, how am i going to get fit for the season when im never going on club runs? only training im getting is turbo, and the odd ride by myself, are we all in the same situation here?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's rain. Rain doesn't stop play.

There's no ice, or snow on the roads so I can't see the issue.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • i have always been told no training in rain ! can get you a cold!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,820
    bigricky wrote:
    i have always been told no training in rain ! can get you a cold!

stuffed if you live in the UK then!
  • THE iom MATE
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,820
    the sun is alway shinning then!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sunny but cold in Brizzle, will be out after dinner for a spin.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Pfft, it's character building.

Man up and get a coat.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I wouldn't worry too much about getting out if your turbo sessions have been quality.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    a cold is a virus, nothing to do with rain!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    bigricky wrote:

whoever told you that needs a good kick up the ar5e.....get out there....
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Pissed down for first half hour yesterday morning, went onto do total of 38 miles feet getting colder all the time I was out and hands got cold but recovered toward the end. First real ride out this year, but still total of 200+ miles this year. :)
  • agree with comments about rain - no excuse whatsoever for not getting out there
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Eh? You live in the Isle of Man and was surprised to see rain?! Better get very used to it and invest in appropriate clothing!

I lived in Onchan for 5 years and think I shrunk an inch due to the amount of rain! Still, it's beautiful when the sun does shine :)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Same for everyone.
    It is still early days yet, only takes 8 to 12 weeks to get race fit :D
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    bigricky wrote:
    A cold! Eeek!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad kit!

Invest in proper kit, and you wont get cold (or shouldn't catch a cold) in the rain.

For what it's worth, I think if you read the label, you are infact waterproof from birth :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    was out today at 8am in rain then snow..............brilliant as was on my bike!

Good kit = no cold!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • im not worried now! got tomorrow off so gpoing out for a decent ride tomorrow and Tuesday :D
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    Thats what gore-tex was invented for!

Get some gore-tex under socks and wear some good overshoes, gore-tex gloves and a good quality gore-tex cycling jacket and get out there, you'll be fine.

After a few miles I always feel great riding in heavy rain because I think that I am out while everyone else wants to be out!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get out.

What if your training for the season, and a race happens to be on a rainy day ?

MTFU and get out there. :)
  • dmclite wrote:
    Get out.

What if your training for the season, and a race happens to be on a rainy day ?

MTFU and get out there. :)
  • Anonymous
    eh ?
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, bigricky, that came out really aggressive, apologies, didn't mean to be a plank.

Riding in the rain is good prep though, good practice if a race is in the wet. :wink:
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    bigricky wrote:
    Morning all, got up this morning looking foward to going on my first club run in about 7 weeks, only to find out is pissing down!!! i am so frustrated with the weather, how am i going to get fit for the season when im never going on club runs? only training im getting is turbo, and the odd ride by myself, are we all in the same situation here?

Note to self, grow some b0llocks. :wink:
  • A friend of mine says to me "if it ain't raining, it ain't training". However.... if its already tipping down I don't go out I TT instead, but if it's only forecast I'll go out, the forecast is usually wrong anyway!

You don't get colds from getting cold, however if you get very cold your body goes into survival mode to protect your core body heat. This would then make your immune system wide open to any bug that you came into contact with.

Good advise above, dress well in layers, watch out for slippery white lines....
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    I dont mind the rain, but one thing that breaks my heart is this:

Ive done zillions of coastal rides round the ards peninsula and have been putting in great times , but there is this one bloody stretch from the right hand turn at the roundabout in ballyhalbert, through glastry, kircubbin , greyabbey and back into ards and its ALWAYS a friggin gale blowing straight between your eyes whereas wind was scarce on the rest of the ride :cry:

It really gets on my wick, there is wind and there is glastry to ards wind and its an uphill stretch as well. Because I have MS i cant grit my teeth and go hell for leather through the howling wind in my face. I keep going back because I know it will make me fitter in the long run , but I guess i just dont like howling wind that hits ya square between the eyes like I mentioned, and its 15 miles to home into that friggin headwind every time im there.

I dream of a tailwind kicking me right up the @rse when i get to that ballyhalbert roundabout........its never happened, :cry: