First set of modifications / buys

denty85
denty85 Posts: 48
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I'm looking at a pretty basic (compared to some of the amazing bikes i've seen on here!) Carrera Subway 2 for a starter commuter bike.

what i'd like to know is, with £50-£100, what would you buy to accompany this bike or upgrade it?

my only thoughts were upgrading the tyres to marathon plus' to try and reduce the risk of punctures. any other ideas? (bear in mind i'm starting out with nothing)

as a second part to this, does anybody have any pics of their carrera's? possibly modified to be more suitable for commuting. (older versions allowed)

Cheers

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do you get a lot of punctures, or ride on crappy roads? Cos you'd be making your bike heavier and less fun to ride and using up your spare cash in the process by getting M+ tyres.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The marathon pluses could be worthwhile, but maybe see how the standard ones fare. Spending the money on a decent track pump and keeping the pressures at decent levels might be a good idea. I think the standard kit on the bike is fine, use it and wear it out before replacing anything. I would be decent mudguards, a rear rack and panniers. A pump (topeak road morph) and puncture repair kit and spare tube, a multitool with chain tool, tyre levers, a spare chain quick link (KMC). Also some lights (see the What Lights thread for the correct ones to buy).
  • denty85
    good stuff. thanks,

Is the weight difference that noticeable with the tyres? it would be a fully road communte but you know what turns up on the side of the road! just wanted to play safe.

a track pump is something i hadn't thought of, so that's god advice.

please keep the suggestions coming
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    i found the standard ones fairly crap tbh , and not much good under high speed cornering have a look at swcable city jets i run 26x1.5s and they are a lot better than standard, they are not as good as M+ for puncture resistance but for around a tenner each they are grea
    t .

This is my subway 1

Rack for £7 ,Spd pedals £5 all second hand off ebay.

pannier bags for commuting i find it makes it a lot easier to carry stuff

bar ends for more hand positions, wider grips again for comfort, mudguards , already said about the tyres.(click for a bigger pic )

xmas09126.th.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd upgrade - nowt. Not unless something is causing you discomfort or problems.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd upgrade - nowt. Not unless something is causing you discomfort or problems.

+1.

Just get the necessary support kit for punctures and safety.

I.e.

Helmet
    Saddlebag
    Spare inner tubes (practice changing a tube at home so you know what's involved if you have to do it by the side of the road!)
    Puncture repair kit (unless you're prepared to spend £3 on a new tube every time you get a puncture)
    Multitool with chain breaker
    Frame pump (don't be tempted by those dinky little mini-pumps - they're sh1t)
    Lights

You won't have much change out of £100 for that little lot.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • denty85
    thanks for all of your suggestions. I've actually just put a deposit on a giant escape m2 so the plan's changed a bit. i got carried away in the shop and specified marathon plusses against everything that's been said! oh well, at least hopefully i'll be puncture free!