best heart rate monitor ?

GregC
GregC Posts: 65
I've got a Garmin 305 Forerunner which is great but it has to be recharged every 8-10 hours or so .
I'm doing an End to End later in the year and want a HRM that has its own battery ,i.e like the Polar ones ,and preferably with GPS for mileage accuracy , but not essential , time in zones and I'd like to download my info .
What do you use ?
Has anyone used the Mavic Wintech computers ?

Comments

• GregC wrote:
    I've got a Garmin 305 Forerunner which is great but it has to be recharged every 8-10 hours or so .
    I'm doing an End to End later in the year and want a HRM that has its own battery ,i.e like the Polar ones ,and preferably with GPS for mileage accuracy , but not essential , time in zones and I'd like to download my info .
    What do you use ?
    Has anyone used the Mavic Wintech computers ?

Have a look at the Suunto HRM's. I bought a Suunto T6 in 2006 and it is one of the best pieces of kit I own. The feature list is as long as your arm and used with the Bike Pod and Foot Pod gives and the Training Manager SW it gives you heaps of usable data that helps you see the quality of your training sessions and how your performance is getting better / worse over time.

I can't recomend this highly enough, I wouldn't be without it.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I recently bought a Garmin Forerunner 310XT HRM/GPS. Its one of the running models and can be worn as a watch, but the strap can be removed completely to mount it on the bike. Its a great piece of kit and the battery life is about 20 hours (and its compatible with ANT+ power meters).

Can I ask why HR is so important for your End-End? Are you trying to do it as quick as possible or something?
    More problems but still living....
  • GregC
    I want HRM to use for my normal training and it'll also serve as a bike computer if possible. I can't use the mains to charge it up though , so I'll have aook at the Sunto one.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I've a Polar S625 with the speedo and cadence attachments which does all that and the battery goes on for days.

GPS needs a lot of power so unlikely you'll find anything that will last a whole end-to-end that isn't the size of a brick

The Garmin 705 does about 15 hours at a stretch though, and does all the things you want in one unit.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    GregC wrote:
    I want HRM to use for my normal training and it'll also serve as a bike computer if possible. I can't use the mains to charge it up though , so I'll have aook at the Sunto one.

Are you going to carry several spare batteries on your end-end then?

Have you thought about using something like a power monkey (or similar external power running on AAs) for your Edge?
    More problems but still living....
  • GregC
    I've heard about a power monkey but don't know how good they are .But that would be an option for my 305 .
    The Polar batteries last for months as far as I'm aware ,but the GPS is supposed to be poor as reviewed by bike radar of the 300 model a few weeks ago .
    I think I'll have a look at the Polar 625 though and ditch the GPS idea unless something else comes out in the next few months .