Trainer time

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
For lack of anything of any merit to post today(so far) here's the results of an informal poll I took at our clubs annual meeting last night.

1.) Most people queried gave one hour as pretty much max. time on rollers or a trainer.
2.) A few claimed upwards of an hour and a half, but felt that this amount of time increased their risk of brain damage.
3.) One person claimed to watch Oprah(a girl).
4.) There is only one person in the club who likes Oprah. No one else would admit to this.
5.) Most people felt that if you can make it through the first 20 minutes of a session, without going mad, you can finish out the hour, no problem.
6.) Most members claimed to "hate those d*mn things".
7.) Everyone I talked to said they wanted to race MORE this year.

Comments

• Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    "For lack of anything of any merit to post today"

What do you mean today? :)

I've only ever done an hour on the turbo. I'm trying to do less miles/hours and more intensity so I'm mainly doing 2x20's, but I did my first full one hour effort last night to try and get a figure for FTP, and that was horrendous. I don't really see the point of trying to replicate long steady rides indoors, either wait until the weather improves or devise other sessions to improve fitness.

I actually want to race less this season, as I did too much last year and ended up getting worn out with very few results. The idea is to structure the training, avoid overdoing it and peak for a few events. Will see if it works.....
  • dennisn
    Edwin wrote:
    "For lack of anything of any merit to post today"

What do you mean today? :)

Now wait a minute, I have never claimed to have posted anything of merit. Today is no exception. :oops: :oops:
  • One of the reasons I developed the HOP workout was to maximize my quality training time on the indoor trainer in a compact fashion.

This year I purchased a number of videos from ergvideo.com and have no problem doing 2+ hour rides and those feel like 45min. previously on the Computrainer. Tremendously diverting and productive with the web-designed workout feature.

Best,
    Bill Black
  • Unfortunatly, i have to afmit to being sad enough to complete various 3 + 4 hr rides on the turbo.
    commited or stupid? i dont really know but what i do know is theres proberbly not many people who can say they bonked on a turbo :D

gotta keep it up even during the snowy weather, thats what i reckon.
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    The reason why people cant spend very long on their turbo/rollers is that they are not doing a planed season so getting bored.

If my coach has given me a good session what targets specific areas then a i can easily do 2.5hrs with out noticing. Also get so good music with a strong beat like dance
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I'm doing around 90 minutes at the moment. 15m warmup, 60m tempo, 15m cool down. Put on some cycling videos and it's fine. I figure cycling is half about mental strength so it's good practice for doing stuff you don't always enjoy because you know it's good for you.
  • dennisn
    phreak wrote:
    I'm doing around 90 minutes at the moment. 15m warmup, 60m tempo, 15m cool down. Put on some cycling videos and it's fine. I figure cycling is half about mental strength so it's good practice for doing stuff you don't always enjoy because you know it's good for you.

I agree about the mental thing. Learning to deal with a bit of boredom or tedious exercise
    is a good thing.
  • dennisn wrote:
    phreak wrote:

I agree about the mental thing. Learning to deal with a bit of boredom or tedious exercise
    is a good thing.

To be honest I don't think it's boredom on a turbo, I think it is knowing you can hop off at any point & have a bacon sarnie, relax on our sofa and watch Eastenders. If you're out in the country (or on the track) you're there to ride, so you ride - because you have no sofa, or bacon sarnie, or Eastenders at a stones throw from you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What % of MHR are people working at ? I've heard of triathletes doing 6 hours on a turbo - but I'd be interested to know if they're actually just tootling along or working properly for the duration ?
  • My standard endurance session on the turbo is 90 minutes at 80-85% MHR.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    reppohkcor wrote:
    relax on our sofa and watch Eastenders
    That's the best reason in the world to be on the turbo every night between 7:30 and 8:30 :lol: