Marmite Inbred (Updated with ride report!)

big_southern_jesse
big_southern_jesse Posts: 729
edited February 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Yeah, I know, not enough gears, not enough suspension, the wheels are too big, the frame is the wrong material, and the colour scheme is wrong. But I love it!
Picturea013.jpg

Shiny shiny! Picturea012.jpg

Picturea011.jpg

Picturea009.jpg

Picturea008.jpg

A fairly standard spec:
    21" On One Slot Dropout Inbred 29er in Steel On One Carbon Forks On One Wheelset with Kenda Small Block 8's for now. Magura Julies 180/160 On One Fleegle bar in inadvisable GOLD! FSA Crankset with On One 32t chainring, KMC 10 Gold chain and 16/18t sprocket. On One twelfty seatpost and Inbred saddle.

Does it count as a marmite bike if I'm the *only* one that loves it? Or does it have to be a 50/50 Love/Hate split?
Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
The world's ultimate marmite bike

Comments

• If it's a love/hate thing I'm sorry to say I'm hating :evil:
  • If it's a love/hate thing I'm sorry to say I'm hating :evil:

No worries, as you can tell, I'm not surprised! :wink:
  • BSJ - I love it mate - its very different, but cool!!! :D

how does she ride???
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I quite like it - so it can't be a Marmite thing
  • BSJ - I love it mate - its very different, but cool!!! :D

how does she ride???

Cheers Big Cheese! I think that might be the best compliment I'll ever get! I'm just happy I've got what I wanted. I did also get a full set of SLX shifters, derailleurs, cassette and FSA chainrings for if/when I want some gears.

So far I've only been on the tarmac, doing the very short run from home to work. I was a bit canny mixing On One's recent 20% sale with the c2w scheme for purchasing, so it's great for buzzing to and from work.

It is extraordinarily lively! Very light, and very quick. The steering is quick and light. I've left the bar uncut at about 680mm, so nice and wide for now. The wheels look HUGE on their own, but seem in proportion to the frame, certainly more than my old bike. We'll be going for a proper play or two at the weekend, and I'll see what she's like then. Might have to swap out the Kenda SB8's, I'm not sure how they'll cope with the mud!

Also loving the LUU light too, nicely made, and powerful, tiny and light compared to what I had before. Just waiting for a dry night to really have a blast around our local loop, see how different it is. Just makes me smile to have it! :D
  • alfablue wrote:
    I quite like it - so it can't be a Marmite thing

Now you are just being difficult! :wink:
  • Mancunianfightingcat
    Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
    edited January 2010
    why is there a small turd by your skirting board?
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    sweet ride matey.....
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    It's like a 70s disco / glitter ball / my little pony / thing.

it's daring.

I like it.
  • I like it. sadly though, SS would never work where I live (well, it would, but I'm too lazy to try)

I also like how you've not gone overboard with the gold bits.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Must admit BSJ, I like that too.. :oops:

:wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice all you need now is some purple chain ring bolts and your finished
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    for someone more into stealth bikes, i love it!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I like it, very tempted by something similar myself for commuting and touring/exploring around to replace the Stumpjumper. Have to say though, I'd personally stick to gears and go for the orange one ;)

How tall are you just out of interest? 6'6" here and I was just pondering how it would fit.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    that's actually very nice, i'd like to do a similar build but in 26" and with some rebas up front :) i like the colour too, i'm trying so hard not to buy one in that colour! :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • why is there a small turd by your skirting board?

That will be a small stick the dog carried home... Damn, I thought I'd purged the background of "toaster pic" items... :oops:
  • Hey, thanks everyone for those positive comments.
    It's like a 70s disco / glitter ball / my little pony / thing.

it's daring.

I like it.
    :D:D:D

Well, I definitely wasn't taking it too seriously! I wanted something that would make me smile every time I looked at it! The choice of bar colour was pure impulse!

The hills around here aren't too steep, apart from one, I usually had a couple of spare sprockets to change down to when seated, so out of the saddle, the singlespeed gear out of the saddle works about right. I've still to experiment how much I need to change the sprocket size to counter the larger wheels. I'll do the measurements and maths tonight...

Toasty, I'm about 6'5", and it's seems pretty good, plenty of post still in the frame even with 37" legs, and a reasonable balance. There's plenty of flexibility, the stem is only 80mm with a 6 degree rise.

ilovedirt, I'm not sure if you'll get this colour in the 26", but it is really nice. I had hoped the decals would be a closer match to the bar, but I'm not too fussed really. I probably would like some suspension eventually, but couldn't afford the ridiculous prices for 29er forks. Maybe in a year or two.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I love it, even if it is a proper fashion victim bike :lol:
  • Damm it! I thought I was over lusting after another beautiful steel 29er, then what happens? THIS! Damm you! :twisted:

p.s. I ran 32/16 on mine....worked for me off road.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    awful.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    you'd like that you would if it had gears, front spring and a spring thing at the back.
  • Damm it! I thought I was over lusting after another beautiful steel 29er, then what happens? THIS! Damm you! :twisted:

p.s. I ran 32/16 on mine....worked for me off road.
    Beautiful? Awww, shucks! :oops:
    awful
    Now I know you don't mean that! :wink:
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i like marmite but hmm its single speed. 8)
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Loving It :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Not my cup of tea I'm afraid, would be a nice commuter but i wouldn't fancy riding off road on it...

Kinda looks like you won a blindfolded trolley dash through the on-one warehouse... :lol:

Each to they're own though and if you like it then fair play to you
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    Kinda looks like you won a blindfolded trolley dash through the on-one warehouse... :lol:

Well, after gazing at the perfection of your Inbred, you certainly are very qualified to say that. But as you say, each to there own... :wink:
  • BSJ, not a bike I would have for myself but I actually quite like it, for some strange reason it all comes together and just works :D:lol:

But the best thing I get from your posts is that you are chuffed to bits with it, which is what really matters, so good on yer 8)
  • That is a sweet bike! You were definitely ahead of the curve with that beauty-now everyone's playing catch-up. Mint!
  • Okay, thanks to everyone for your comments, the best will be passed to On One for their entertainment!

I finally got out for a proper ride on Sunday morning. We did our usual South Downs loop up to Kingley Vale if you know it. 14 miles, a bit slower than usual because we had a larger group and the dog with us. (The dog only slowed us down for crossing roads, never whilst moving... for 14 miles! And he still wanted to play more fetch when we got home :shock: :D )

And OH MY GOD!!

So I've done this route for a long time on a geared alu 26er, and a couple of times on a very old single speed 26er running 32:16.
    I'd done the maths, and found 32:18 on a 29er is a similar gear, but it was delivered as 32:16 so I thought I'd try it. The big climb was great. Without riding for a month, I cleared it no problems, with just one stop in the normal place. The stop allowed me to feed my lungs back into my chest, and everyone else to catch up. So that's easier than the old SS, where I had to stop several times. The lighter bike, better frame, bigger wheels and general bling-ness all make it so much easier :D

And down hill, it rolled so very, very fast! I had to work hard to keep it reined in, with just too much mud around to really let loose. But, ye gods, it's going to be quick! :shock:

And as far as my experience goes, it's more nimble and easier to control than anything I've ridden before. Possibly a little bit tougher on the arms downhill than my old hardtail, but a barely noticeable difference. And the Kenda Small Block 8's coped very well with the mud, far better than I expected.

I was intending to rig it fully geared for the Goodwood Spring Challenge at the end of April, but judging by yesterday's performance I'll be going faster uphill and down than any of my riding buddies by then so probably won't bother. I'll only lose out on long flats or very slight downhills.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, to sum up:

It's Sodding Spectacular! :D