Is there a doctor in the house? Not for the squeamish.

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
I've discovered an egg sized swelling inside my groin, it is tender to the touch. I wonder what it may be.

Comments

• a testicle?
  • it sounds like a hernia
    dont only ride a bike
  • Cressers
    i'd considered that but I've not done anything to get a hernia recently...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Go to the Dr now mate, prob nothing major but always best to get stuff like that looked at ASAP :wink:.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well instead of giving a long list of possiblities - get to a doctor - quickly!

Phone him now and get the first appointment you can - today if possible. If it starts aching or being tender when you're not prodding it - get thee to A&E - there are a couple of nastier things that could be torsioned - and they can cut off the blood supply and drop off like a lambs tail.

Get it looked at - can't stress that enough (but don't put the pics up here)

Lads - Groin + pain = medical attention, Pronto!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Cressers
    It's not painful as such, just I've noticed it 'intruding ' for the first time. My Betty Swallocks seem unaffected but I may well risk those cold fingers examining it. What I fear more though is that they may decide it needs surgery, the thought of sharp instruments 'down there' is a right shriveller...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just make sure they clearly mark which bit they need to take off before they put you under.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • It could be a swollen gland - have you had any cuts or grazes on the leg on that side? If it's that, it's probably just an infection and no scalpel's necessary. In any case, phone the doctor and get her to warm up her hands ready for the appointment...
  • Cressers
    No cuts or grazes. You want to 'be a man' at he examination but for some reason that part of you vanishes, although it appear to be further 'up' and 'inside' that the family jewels...

Infection? I've been a good boy, I wonder how I may have picked one up? From a public toilet seat?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Cressers wrote:
    the thought of sharp instruments 'down there' is a right shriveller...

To be fair I think we'd all be more worried if that wasn't a right shriveller!!! :shock:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Prostatitis?

Anyhoo, get to the docs!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go to the doctors asap, matey.
  • Cressers wrote:
    No cuts or grazes. You want to 'be a man' at he examination but for some reason that part of you vanishes, although it appear to be further 'up' and 'inside' that the family jewels...

Infection? I've been a good boy, I wonder how I may have picked one up? From a public toilet seat?

He he, not that kind of infection! Maybe something as minor as a spider bite could get toxins into the blood and cause your glands to go into overdrive, but I'm not a doc so I can't say. Phone them.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    get it checked, hopefully and probably nothing to worry about and you might even have the same experience I had, found lump on the right one, panic, doctor, referred for Ultrasound at local Bupa (thank you Company Health Scheme) next day. Turn up for appointment, shown to consutling room by very attractive nurse, behind screen, drop em on couch etc, then doc comes back with said very nice nurse, again doc is very attractive late 20s looking lady, very nicley attired, and pull ultrasound trolley over and off course get tube of gel for use with ultrasound scanner and of course have to rub it onto the area being scanned. I spent the next 10 minutes of so concentrating very hard (perhaps the wrong word) on not embarrassing myself.

Sadly the story ends there as they were both uber professional, polite and discrete in their task although I am sure they knew exactly what they were doing to me from a teasing point of view.
    fay ce que voudres
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    +1 for medical attention pronto.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    nodule_oncho.jpg

If the lump looks like that it could be Onchocerciasis :-P Somewhat unlikely though I think, unless you've been Africa recently.

By the way, don't google it unless you want to scare yourself / aren't squemish :-)
  • you're asking us for a diagnosis? :shock:
    we cant even agree on the whats causing punctures on a bike :lol:
    go see the doctor