are these "proper" track wheels

HillClimber101
HillClimber101 Posts: 149
edited March 2010 in Track
are the Halo Aerotrack/Arorage wheels ment to race on the track or are they for fixie's.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They can be used fixed or free so yes but the exposed thread might breach track rules. Don't know anything about the complicated rules so can't offer any other advice. They might be too heavy for track use also. Good wheels though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    They’re more aimed at the road fixed market despite the Areotrack having no braking surface but if they are strong and well built there is no reason why they can’t make good training/ track league wheels. The front wheels particularly, are a touch on the heavy side but then so is my carbon 5 spoke front wheel!!!

There is nothing precluding the use of a double sided fixed/fixed or fixed/free hub. My Planet X outdoor track league rear wheel (which is a fixed/fixed) has two sprockets fitted – one for warm-up, the other for racing. As far as I know, only Manchester Velodrome doesn’t permit riding while having two sprockets fitted.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • so for that money (£50-£100) are there any other wheels more suited to the track

EDIT: what part of the wheels make them not suited to the track? / what makes them not proper track wheels?
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    so for that money (£50-£100) are there any other wheels more suited to the track

EDIT: what part of the wheels make them not suited to the track? / what makes them not proper track wheels?
    Refer back to my comment “if they are strong and well built” – what you should be looking for are wheels built to a known quality standard, not down to a price. I’m not saying that doesn’t apply to the Halos but I don’t know anybody that uses them on the track.

Consider the forces a wheel goes through on the banking of an indoor track. What you have to think about is trusting those wheels with your safety and your life. This may sound a bit dramatic but that’s the essence of my purchase choices for track riding.

In this price range, have a look at the Navigator Pistas from Dolan/Italian Solutions - http://www.italian-solutions.co.uk/product.php?productid=161651&cat=290&page=1
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Well said EddyS.

The Aerotrack is also a clincher I believe, you may prefer to ride a tubular to get a higher tyre pressure and if you get that dreaded puncture the tyre should stay on the rim and not weave itself through your bike when sprinting for the line. Saying that, one of the Keirin heats in Cuba/Columbia worlds a few months back? Mens, big crash caused by a tub flying off...not sure Iif the mechanic made it home that day......
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    Cranks wrote:
    Well said EddyS.

The Aerotrack is also a clincher I believe, you may prefer to ride a tubular to get a higher tyre pressure and if you get that dreaded puncture the tyre should stay on the rim and not weave itself through your bike when sprinting for the line. Saying that, one of the Keirin heats in Cuba/Columbia worlds a few months back? Mens, big crash caused by a tub flying off...not sure Iif the mechanic made it home that day......
    here you go: SireaucrashWCT32909064.jpg
  • I'm pretty sure that you cannot ride with 2 sprockets at the newport winter track leagues for safety reasons.

Recently a 12 yr old lost his finger testing the tension on his chain - you know spinning the wheel and tapping the chain as it rotates. The coaches have been instructed to ask any rider who is seen doing this to leave the track immediatley so be warned!