Can a Boardman owner help please??

WiganWarrior
WiganWarrior Posts: 7
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
I've just ordered a Boardman Comp road bike and want to get some shoes to go along with the new purchase.

I know that the pedals will be SPD type, but can't find out if they are 2 bolt or 3 bolt - anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance......

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I think the comp comes with platform pedals (straps and clips according to the website). If spd's though, will be 2 bolt.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    If you are using 'spd' as a euphemism for all clipless pedals, then there is no guarantee that the pedals will be two bolt.

If they are actually Shimano SPD (as in the MTB pedals), they will be two bolt. If they are SPD-SL, or Look, or Time pedals, they will be three bolt.
  • APB
    APB Posts: 13
    It will come with straps as Slow D says so you will need pedals and shoes if you want to go clipless.

I bought these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5369

and a pair of SPD-SL compatible shoes which will most likely come with the cleats.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    APB wrote:
    and a pair of SPD-SL compatible shoes which will most likely come with the cleats.

cleats come with the pedals - not the shoes...
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    Yup - the Comp comes with rather poor pedals and toeclips... I replaced them with Shimano SPDs as soon as I could - haven't looked back since.

EDIT - all models above the Comp come "sans pedals" ;)
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • Thanks for the help so far folks - just found this on their Q&A though!? :?: Hmmmm

Q: i cant get both both feet to stay and the pedals are funny shapes
    7 months ago
    by Ginny

Answers

A: Yes the pedals are spd style pedals that you cliip into. You can eaither purchase flat pedals that you can ware any shoes on (Halfords Caged Alloy Bike Pedals Cat code: 121700) or visit your local halfords store for details of SPD shoes
    7 months ago
    by HalfordsWebTeam
  • What is the difference between 2 and 3 bolt systems (apart from 1 bolt!) ? I suppose mean in terms of riding and which is better. Is one more forgiving in terms of foot movement?

I know that in Febuarys CW, it has a review of various shoes, it said against most that they were compatible with both 2 and 3 bolt systems. Does that mean that if you get such a pair of shoes, it wouldn't matter if the pedals were SPD or SPD-SL?

Thanks
  • On a road bike 3 or 4 bolt is much more comfortable as the surface area for pressure is larger. On 2 blt spd pedal/ shoe combo a lot of people suffer from hot spots and numbness of certain toes depending on where the pressure is generated.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    What Fungus said^

But, if you opt for the two bolt MTB type SPD's you can walk normally in these shoes when off the bike, as the MTB SPD cleat is recessed, rather than standing proud as it does with the three-bolt systems.

I use the two-bolt system as I crossed-over from having that system already on my MTB bike and haven't suffered with the 'hot-spots' some report.

...you pays yer money...

<edit> And I can confirm that the Comp comes with poxy toe-clips & straps when sold.
    Cycling weakly