training for sportive

ryan o donovan
ryan o donovan Posts: 41
hi all this is my first post!
i was just wondering if it would be possible to complete in a 45 mile sportive only if i have been training an average of 20miles on weekdays and just did the one 35mile spin on sunday just gone? i only got the bike before christmas!

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    hi all this is my first post!
    i was just wondering if it would be possible to complete in a 45 mile sportive only if i have been training an average of 20miles on weekdays and just did the one 35mile spin on sunday just gone? i only got the bike before christmas!

Of course it's possible, it's a sportive not a race you want to do :roll:

You'll be fine, have a go and get into it.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the forum 8)

I did my first 50mile sportive a while back having only ridden 30miles previous to that and I was ok doing the distance.

I got cramp a couple of times but that was more about not having the right nutrition and trying to keep up with a faster rider..... If you are riding solo or with someone of the same level as you, taking on the right food and drinking enough then you will be fine. Just dont try racing someone that is faster than you :wink:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • with energy drinks you should be able ride for nearly 4 hours without having an endurance base as long as you don't go mental. anyone except the chronically unfit/unwell should be able to knock out 45 miles at a sensible pace
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Sure you can do it. Pace yourself well, eat well and you will be fine.
  • thanks lads i am using this sportive as a sort of tester to level of fitness for coming races in the year. i have been using maximuscle viper drink for my rides so far can you reccommend anything better?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I use lucozade sport for longer ones, orange squash for shorter ones. Never really used anything else so can't say how it compares.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    SiS
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Gav888 wrote:
    Welcome to the forum 8)

I did my first 50mile sportive a while back having only ridden 30miles previous to that and I was ok doing the distance.

I got cramp a couple of times but that was more about not having the right nutrition and trying to keep up with a faster rider..... If you are riding solo or with someone of the same level as you, taking on the right food and drinking enough then you will be fine. Just dont try racing someone that is faster than you :wink:

Surely not moi? :D
  • i use high 5, fructose with electrolytes.