how often do you train/ride

teamtalairan
teamtalairan Posts: 175
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
How often do you ride and how long/how far?
Casual or training?
Summer?
Winter?

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    In Winter I only ride once per week at weekends. Usually 55 - 70 miles.

In the week I do a couple of turbo trainer sessions.

In the Summer I still do one weekend ride. Usually 65 - 90 miles and 2 or 3 evening rides of 35 - 50 miles.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Commute 4 days a week in the winter 6 mile each way and a 1 hour turbo session. Try to do an all day and a 1/2 day club ride each month but this has been slipping.

In summer stretch the commute out to 15 miles each way and one long evening ride (2hr+). Occasional weekend tours and club runs.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    with the exception of when it is icecy out, I then half the road time and do it on a turbo

8-10 hours a week (have no young family... yet so can get away with it)

During the week:
    commute to work 6 miles 3 times a week
    1 tempo ride for 2 hrs
    1 hard ride on the TT bike (road bike if weather bad) for an hour, hard pace
    1.5 -2 hr club ride

Then on the weekend either

Saturday 2 hr tempo ride, sunday 3hrs gentle pace

Sunday only - 4-5 hr club ride

Ironically wish I was faster :) keeps the weight off lol
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Try to ride 6 days a week
    Winter during the week 2 one hour interval sessions on turbo plus 2 high tempo one hour roller sessions. Weekend two 30 to 40 miles(sometimes a bit further) rides or ride plus cross race or 2 cross races(like this weekend coming)

When its gets warmer substitute indoor for outdoor including chain gang and circuit session

Sometimes swap road for mountain bike to keep it interesting as well
  • My rides and resultant training is more dictated by distance and season.
    I have a long commute so in winter months I do 3-4 turbo sessions (1-2 hrs each) in the week and then 2x38mls rides Saturday & Sunday. In winter I also do at least 1-2 lunch time spinning classes per week alternating with 4-6mls lunch time runs for x-training and keeping Xmas weight at bay.
    I dont trust car drivers to clear their windscreens enough early morning in winter and as half the commute is on a b-road and ice is can also be a problem.
    Mar to Oct/Nov I do the 41mls each way commute at least 3 times a week and the same 2x38mls on the weekend, but regularly substitute for club rides I tag onto or a sportive. Occasionally (usually a Wednesday) I will take the long way home turning the total day mileage into a 105mls round trip. I regularly clock up around 320mls p/week in summer, but have to make a conscious decission to do interval training on the commute or I become a 1 pace rider. I also mix it up by once a week doing the commute on my single speed, makes the hills more interesting.
    Needless to say I am now also 5.5 stone lighter than 2 years ago, with a wife that quite unreasonably keeps telling me I have become cycling addicted.
  • OMG Chunky, where do you get the time? From Chunkycyclist to Junkiecyclist, think you should rename yrself!
  • I generally ride as often as I can, work and weather permitting. It may only be a short 12 mile circuit during the week before/after work, but I'll go at this with everything to get the most out of it.
    Weekends tend to be Sunday only as the Mrs works Saturdays and I have our little boy to look after, so when I get out on Sunday it's usually for 35-40 miles. I ride alone at the moment, but looking to join a club when I feel a bit fitter and more ready, Local Sunday ride with them is usually 50-60 miles.
    No turbo or rollers for me, yet, so roll on the summer when I'll be out every day.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Commute to work 5 days a week - thats 9 miles each way on a bike that weighs over 30lbs when loaded with rack, guards, panniers, laptop & clothes.

Now it's getting warmer, plannign on one 35-50 mile road ride per weekend.

Or a 3-4hour mountain bike ride, which ever takes my fancy
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Winter
    Two weekend rides on Saturday and Sunday anywhere between 30 and 60miles.
    Midweek, I go running in the evening. Three nights for about 5miles.

Summer
    Midweek every night bar one on the bike for 20-40miles
    The night I don't ride, I'll go for a 5mile run to keep my bones and ligaments strong
    Weekends again Saturday and Sunday rides at around 50-60miles
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    At the moment I try and do at least two long turbo sessions during the week plus a drills session, with some longer rides at the weekend. Normally commute as well but haven't done much of that at all yet this winter.
  • Slowlane Haha like the suggestion for name change.
    Each way on the commute takes 1'40"-1'50" so get cycling at 5 in morning have a shower and at desk before 8, leave before 5pm and home by 6:30pm. Same for weekend rides, up early and home & showered 2 hours later.

Best way to train is to make it part of a routine and it becomes more difficult to find excuses not to do it - if you commute you have to get to work, no choice :-)
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Winter training/rides consist of Sunday 4hr + club run or MTB's. I do 2xspin sessions on Wednesday. Monday & Friday are turbo sessions, maybe Sat too. All told between 7/10 hrs. Thursday maybe a night ride on MTB too.

Summer, Sunday club run or race/sportive. I'll ride to work regular from March. 22miles each way. Tuesday/Thursday are chaingang nights. I'll defo do one but it's 50/50 on doing
    both. This year I'm racing in a Tuesday road league followed on Wednesday by MTB races if the legs'll take it. All told anything between 10 & 20 hours.

If Mrs Andy has got plans I'll sneak a Saturday ride in, always easy. But it's usually Saturdays off.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do a 2-4hr 30-60 mile ride 6 days a week, always having one day off of the bike and the diet per week. On the days where the weather is too bad to ride I go to my local gym and do rowing and weights for 2 hours. I am lucky though I am a househusband :D and my wife works nights, so when she sleeps I drop my kid of to the creche in the gym and either do my cycling or a workout... ahh bliss :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Summer typically I'll do either a chaingang, club 10 or a ride of some sort on Tuesday. Wednesday if I'm not working I might go out in the day - otherwise nothing. Thursday chain gang or ride with mates from club. Friday off. Saturday long ride with a group - fairly quick - maybe 50-70 miles. Sunday if I get up in time do 30-40 solo early morning. Monday probably off. In Winter I might substitute a turbo session for either Tues or THurs or one of the other rides if the weather is bad.

So basically it's Tues/Thurs and one weekend day and then whatever else I can fit in around it. Throw in a couple of sportives, a few road races and a few longer rides and that's about it. Last few years that's been about 5-6,5000 miles a year.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Maybe people could say whether they have kids under 10 so I can feel less (or probably more) inferior!
  • Summer
    How often do you ride and how long/how far? : 6 days, 5 at 30 - 40 miles 1 at 80 - 100
    Training x 4 ave 18 - 20 mpph
    Casual x 2 ave 15 - 17 mph

Winter
    How often do you ride and how long/how far? : 3 - 4 Days 2 - 3 at 20 - 30 1 at 50 - 60
    Casual mainly well ave 15 - 17 mph
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Commute 5 days, 10 miles each way. Dependent on time of years longer / more intense loop home for training, or evening race. I find it a lot easier to do this as I'm already on the bike, and it saves time etc.

Weekends up early on Sat 3 hour ride or occasional race., Long club ride, or race on Sunday.

No Kids yet, down to one cat.
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Out on Tuesdays around 30 -35 miles / Friday club run around 50-60 miles / Sunday club run around 40-50 miles,that is I have got time for being RETIRED !!
  • I have 2 daughters just under 10 - with so much estrogen in the house it is no surprise I cycle so much :-) I will probably have to set off cycling round the world when they become teenagers & the wife hits the change at the same time...
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I have 2 daughters just under 10 - with so much estrogen in the house it is no surprise I cycle so much :-) I will probably have to set off cycling round the world when they become teenagers & the wife hits the change at the same time...

I'n exactly the same! It's great having girls, the wife takes them shopping/training every weekend leaving me free. So glad I didn't have boys where I'd have to spend the weekend watching pointless football/rugby matches. :) and as you I am getting worried about the future, if you cycle round the world they'll still get at you. Let me know when you're planning the trip.

Also agree on the commuting bit you wrote earlier.
  • Summer 30 to 40 miles plus each day.
    Winter (this year) 30 mile loops on the bike (only been out twice so far). Remainder of the time I have been going to the gym every day.
  • I'm new here, and new to road biking.

I thought the road beginners forum was where I should be, but apparently I should be in the road virgin pre-begginer useless idol thinks 20 miles is a long way forum.

Can someone forward me a link :shock:
  • Sorry plankton, I was not trying to be clever or bragging, but I just answered a question. I do go out plenty because I can and enjoy it. It does not mean I am any good either. Stick with forum.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I cycle between 40-50 mile 4 times a week. Ride to work twice in a 4 day shift pattern which is a 46 mile round trip. I would commute more but I have to cross the dartford crossing to get to Essex and it can be a ball-ache sometimes with delays. At the weekends I usually do a club run of 70-80 miles on a saturday if I am about. This year will be different as will be racing every weekend I am free. :wink:
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    I'm new here, and new to road biking.

I thought the road beginners forum was where I should be, but apparently I should be in the road virgin pre-begginer useless idol thinks 20 miles is a long way forum.

Can someone forward me a link :shock:

Don't worry. All this will help you understand where you're at when the next "What's your average speed?" thread arrives.
  • Haha very funny guys.
    I think it demonstrates that anything is possible, you just have to decide what your goal is and find what routine works for you.
    What wasnt in my post is that I have only been cycling just over 2 years and was so unfit when I started, I was out of breath going up a flight of stairs (following a bad back injury). And if work was closer I probably would hace to work very hard to do as many miles.