Pro-team bikes...

teagar
teagar Posts: 2,100
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Alright.

Is there any consensus, beyond PR hype and brand loyalty (ooo, it looks nice and the brand has been around for years, wow...), on which of the bikes used by the pro teams is better than the others?

I know cyclingnews.com every year ask what's the best pro-bike and they always come up with the Cervelo...

But I know I vote in that survey and I've never ridden any of them.

I remember a while back the Btwins were considered the worst, with a rider or two complaining they were carrying a fair bit more weight than their rivals.

Which teams ride what bike seems to be a red-herring, since that seems all about what brand will pay the most to have their team ride them (within reason).

So - which pro-bike(s) are the best, and which are the worst in terms of functionality?
Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Surely hundredths of percentages in it?

Anyway, how can you even ask which is the best with Merckx back :D

Mind you, disproving my earlier thesis, does Merckx actually make a properly light bike, or are they all built to carry Tommeke to his 4th Roubaix?

Strava is not Zen.
  • teagar
    calvjones wrote:
    Surely hundredths of percentages in it?

Anyway, how can you even ask which is the best with Merckx back :D

Mind you, disproving my earlier thesis, does Merckx actually make a properly light bike, or are they all built to carry Tommeke to his 4th Roubaix?

It probably is pretty small.

It's often crossed my mind.

I'm sure the stats are similar but perhaps some ride better over 7hrs better than others?

Surely Merckx will make more than one kind of bike for the team?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    This is an interesting bike, which Burke Swindlehurst is rockin at the moment:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... bike-22170
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its not about the Bike - theres not been one manufacturer that has totally dominated the cycling world in my living memory anyway.

If there was a major advantage in it - then the teams would be clamouring all over that supplier or even paying for the bikes themselves. I've not seen it happen. So basically - they're all pretty even. Its the riders that make the difference.
  • Merckx used to say that he forced Ocana into the crash that cost him the Tour in 1971 by descending like a mad man knowing that Ocana was on Peugeot, and that "Peugeots don't go downhill".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • teagar
    cougie wrote:
    Its not about the Bike - theres not been one manufacturer that has totally dominated the cycling world in my living memory anyway.

If there was a major advantage in it - then the teams would be clamouring all over that supplier or even paying for the bikes themselves. I've not seen it happen. So basically - they're all pretty even. Its the riders that make the difference.

Duh...!

S'not the point is it?
  • With Brailsford's attention to detail - perhaps the Pinnarellos have a miniscule edge
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    edited January 2010
    cougie wrote:

you've not been in a triathlon transition area recently then?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    :D

Yes, the Cervelo has rapidly become the BMW of the triathlon world...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    weight cant be an issue with any manufacturer these days, thought pretty much they all had to add weights to standard bikes to bring them upto the 6.8 UCI limit
  • shinyhelmut
    DaveyL wrote:

Yes, the Cervelo has rapidly become the BMW of the triathlon world...

exactly. Suits me just fine as it makes my Isaac easier to find :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    cougie wrote:

you've not been in a triathlon transition area recently then?

He said 'cycling world' :lol:
  • cougie
    And yes I have been in transition at Triathlon lately and I've kicked the ass of many an overweight Cervelo rider ;-)
  • teagar
    I'm sensing a consensus will be difficult to come by....
  • shinyhelmut
    cougie wrote:
    And yes I have been in transition at Triathlon lately and I've kicked the ass of many an overweight Cervelo rider ;-)

I bet most of them rode Zipps too?
  • cougie
    Zipps and aero helmets too. :D
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I don't think the bike matters too much.

I know some on forums would never ride a bike ridden in the pro tour but if it gets people into cycling then I can't see the harm. I had no idea what to get so ordered an entry level Trek as at the time some bloke from the US was winning a race in July on one
  • i think my favourite bike to ride would either be a pinarello or ridley with look and time very close behind. trek, specialized and ginat tt bikes seem a bit further ahead though, guess that due to them all being such massive companys
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Liquigas Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod

Cervelo's are overated, the geometry of the smaller bikes is pants. Cannondale is so much better.

And then there's the BB30 + Si SL, 11sp Record, and Mavic Cosmic Ultimates. Not exactly a fan of the green paint scheme though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    in terms of bikes the percentages are miniscule, almost nothing but in terms of tyres and wheels - then you have something which does affect a top pro cyclist
  • i suppose all the pro bikes will have some design feature that makes them slightly different.
    Team sky on the Dogma - the asymmetric chain and seatstays for better power transfer.
    Specialized Roubaix - comfort, obv.
    Cervelo tends to go for the more aero frame.
    and then everyone looks for lightness for the hills.

in conclusion, id give many a body part to have a pro team bike
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    This discussion is over:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/isd-to- ... es-in-2010

A Snuglife in 56 for me please! :shock:

Oh Mario, where did it all go wrong?

Strava is not Zen.
  • werent litepseeds the frame of choice at one point, just with another manufacturers branding over the top ( way before and beyond Armstrong used them in his 1st tdf win)
  • teagar
    To all the people saying the bike makes virtually no difference in the pro-peleton since the differences are so small.

I thought this was a given!!

I was hoping the discussion would go beyond that....Alas!
  • redddraggon
    teagar wrote:

Is it not obvious that Liquigas rocks up on the best (road) bikes?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • teagar wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming you ride a 'Dale? :wink:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • redddraggon
    teagar wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming you ride a 'Dale? :wink:

Nope.

I have a Planet X, Ribble, Specialized and a Carrera
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Would I be naive to enquire then why Cannondale don't simply sow up the sales from marketing through sponsorship by allowing every team in the peloton to use their machines?

Given their obvious superiority, they must all be beating a path to their door and prostating themselves in the hope of being allowed to ride the hallowed Super Six and the advantages it confers.. Or do some teams just know nowt about bikes?

@gietvangent
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Pro teams don't tend to ride a brand for free, they get money into the bargain too. Apparently Columbia doubled their demands after the 2008 season, and Scott only ended up sponsoring them due to the collapse of Saunier Duval that left them without a team.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    The cannondale is a superb bike,Sean Kelly used it and he really liked it good enough for me.