Anybody fitted suspension forks to a Genesis IO

dafoxster
dafoxster Posts: 49
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I was wondering whether other IO owners have fitted suspension forks and what your reasons were. Or if you've changed to different rigid forks.

I've just found that the trails I've been riding recently have been punishing me with the original forks.

cheers

D

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I can't see why you can't fit suspension forks on it? Maybe check with Genesis that the frame will still be under warranty?

If they give you the all clear, the thing to do is measure the axle to crown (A-C) measurement of your current forks. This should be about the same as a new suspension forks A-C measurement minus ~25% sag.

eg if your fork measures 44.5 cm this roughly equal to a 100mm suspension fork. This will help keep the geometry the same.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    I ran a Recon 351 on my iO and it was fine. It had U-Turn and I mostly ran it at around 100mm as I found that kept the handling quick enough. Any longer and it slowed down to much for my personal preference.
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    I Changed mine recently for an exotic rigid carbon. I haven't had a chance to give it any beans yet to see if it smooths things out or not, but generally the bike is ace!
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I was shocked at Cannock on Sunday when I saw an astonishing amount of rigid Genesis' (7 IIRC) sitting outside of the bike shop.

I am used to being the only person around without suspension and gettin very odd looks, this time though there were no odd looks as we probaby outnumbered the suspended lot :lol: either that or I was so fixated by the beauty of the Genesis' and didn't notice. :shock:

I have been wondering if they all work fr Genesis, or hired the bikes or ar some kind of club :?
  • I love the ride on the IO and I find the rigid forks so responsive in tight turns and climbing. I was amazed how I could climb on it even with SS.

I've just bought some Recon Race forks from Ribble so I'll be keen to check out how it handles with suspension.