Alpine trip

strudelpus
strudelpus Posts: 71
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Anyone toured Alpine regions without a car for bike transport, using trains/Postbuses etc? Was a car a necessity for getting around or the efficiency of aforementioned services enough?

Comments

• It all depends where you're going. Some places have great train connections, others none and local buses aren't all great at taking bikes. Contact tourist offices where you're planning to stay, or the hotels etc you're thinking of using.

For example, we're in Morzine, there's no train here, but we have arranged pick up from guests from the Cluses train station 30 minutes away, and from geneva too.

Switzerland generally is pretty good with trains, and there are some good deals on long term passes. In France, the trains are fast and good, you just need to check if they go where you want! The SNCF website is pretty good for working this out.

Happy planning.
  • It all depends where you're going. Some places have great train connections, others none and local buses aren't all great at taking bikes. Contact tourist offices where you're planning to stay, or the hotels etc you're thinking of using.

For example, we're in Morzine, there's no train here, but we have arranged pick up from guests from the Cluses train station 30 minutes away, and from geneva too.

Switzerland generally is pretty good with trains, and there are some good deals on long term passes. In France, the trains are fast and good, you just need to check if they go where you want! The SNCF website is pretty good for working this out.

Happy planning.
  • Cheers Sara. After gaining some headway with my insurance issues it looks like i'm likely to use a car after all, so the problem has been resolved (hopefully...). I was looking at your site recently and was wondering what is the earliest practical time in the season for a trip to your area for some trail riding?
  • Hi, a car can make travelling around a bit easier, even though it seems a nice idea not to use them.

Some lifts open on the 5th June, full Portes du Soleil area open from the 25th. It depends how long you're staying for and what you're after. Town and trails are quieter in June, and prices cheaper. There's still lots of great riding to do off the Morzine and Les Gets lifts, but even more when the other resorts open.