Cat eye Wireless computer problems

jetsstar1
jetsstar1 Posts: 53
edited April 2016 in The workshop
I've been having this problem with my Cateye wireless computer since Christmas and I thought I would share the solution just in case anybody has been having the same problem.

On my commute the computer speed etc. has been intermittent, working sometimes and most times not. So I replaced the batteries on the fork transmitter and the computer itself but to no avail. So then I start troubleshooting this weekend... but it worked fine with no problems. I ask myself what is different, perhaps temperature? Then it clicks, I haven't got my lights on. I switch my new Cateye light on flash mode, and there it goes, speed to zero. Turn it on solid beam and the computer works fine. It is basically the switch on the LED flasher that seems to be interfering with the wireless RF frequency. I always have my little light on flash mode for my ride to and from to work at the moment so hence why it was always bad.

So I now have a Cateye computer that will not work with a Cateye light adjacent to it :x . The computer is mounted on the stem and if I move the light out towards the shifters the problem goes away.

Anybody else heard of this problem?

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    jetsstar1 wrote:
    I've been having this problem with my Cateye wireless computer since Christmas and I thought I would share the solution just in case anybody has been having the same problem.

On my commute the computer speed etc. has been intermittent, working sometimes and most times not. So I replaced the batteries on the fork transmitter and the computer itself but to no avail. So then I start troubleshooting this weekend... but it worked fine with no problems. I ask myself what is different, perhaps temperature? Then it clicks, I haven't got my lights on. I switch my new Cateye light on flash mode, and there it goes, speed to zero. Turn it on solid beam and the computer works fine. It is basically the switch on the LED flasher that seems to be interfering with the wireless RF frequency. I always have my little light on flash mode for my ride to and from to work at the moment so hence why it was always bad.

So I now have a Cateye computer that will not work with a Cateye light adjacent to it :x . The computer is mounted on the stem and if I move the light out towards the shifters the problem goes away.

yes, its very common.
  • This is not that unusual im afraid. Many LED lights use an electronic circuit as a switching regulator or as you say when you set the light to flash, this emits radio frequency noise which can interfere with wireless computers. As you have discovered putting some distance between the two units helps. Digital computers are usually more immune to this effect but come at a price.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Oh yes, I have a cateye wireless and then bought a nite rider minewt light for this winter. Works fine when on Full beam, but freezes when on flash or dim modes. Because it is a powerfull light I have to move it about a foot or more away from the computer so I can't cure it really. Annoying but at least the full beam works which is the main thing. On my other bike I have a standard wired cateye computer, this of course is fine with the light in all modes.
    Chris
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • jetsstar1 wrote:

Yeah - I had it as well with my Cateye Strada Wireless and a fixed beam Cateye light. Suddenly my commute distance miraculously shrank to about 3 miles from the more usual 6 miles. Then I twigged that it was 6 miles on the way to work (in the light) and 3 miles or so on the way home (when it was dark). Hmmm.

I asked Condor how to fix it when I took my bike in for its first service and they did something which made it work fine - never did figure out what - they just nodded and smiled sagely, with a little tap of the finger to the side of the nose.

I did a temporary fix myself by moving the light as far to the left as I could (i.e. away from the line of sight between the sensor on the fork and the computer). Seemed to work, although it meant the light was in a slightly awkward position.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I have lots of feedback re interference on these computers. Keeping anything wiggly powered away from them is the cure.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My Polaris light renders the Cateye speedo useless. The Cateye light doesn't cause any problems at all. Grrr.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I have two bikes and each has Cateye that was experiencing problems. Showed 0 mph, less mileage as a result. I changed the battery, location of the sensors and still each was experiencing problems. The internet searches weren't producing results either...until I found this site.

It is fall in Seattle (getting darker) and I was using my Planet Bike lights on both bikes recently. The flash mode was screwing up the Cateyes. Today I rode w/o the light on and BINGO, no problems. Tomorrow I'll try the other bike.

This site was a God saver...I was going nuts!
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    And The Lesson We All Learn From This Is That Wired Versions Of Things Are Better From The Point Of View Of:

They Are Cheaper
    You Know What Has Gone Wrong When And If They Go Wrong
    They Dont Go Wrong As Often As Wireless
    The Battery Lasts Longer As A result Of Not Having To Send A Wireless Signal.

Over and out :twisted:
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Wireless Cateye Micro MC100 and Exposure Strada: no problem so far
    Wireless Cateye Micro MC100 and Smart Lunar 15: no problem so far
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Yep, I already knew the problem. Damn technology, I much prefer the old miners lamps. :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Before I take my bike in to the LBS and ask the the irritable wrenches, I wanted to see if you all could help me out. This is my second season using the Cateye Strada Wireless bike computer. Last year I didn’t have any issues with it, but now it doesn’t seem to be picking up a signal. I replaced the battery and reformatted it to the correct wheel size. I am having trouble getting a signal transmitted to the computer.
  • turekon
    turekon Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for this great information!! thanks to you guys I was able to find and get back on tracking with my Cat Eye Micro Wireless, I just move the battery from the front to under the seat (thanks to the manufacturer for the 4 feet cable), as soon as the battery was moved, the signal and the velocity tracking, came back again.

Thank you for the help!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    jetsstar1 wrote:

Yes, Cateye Micro Wireless with a Cateye Nano Shot+ headlight.

Worked fine on steady modes but as soon as I put it on flash the headunit read a constant 12mph.

Not much you can do as the computer is just very simple and relies on clicks from the sensor rather than properly encoded data.