£1200 ish to spend on a bike

mkirby
mkirby Posts: 365
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Ok guys need you to spend my money for me :lol:

Looking for a new road bike in the £1200 price range, all i want is something that is light and can go up hills bonus points if it looks the bees knees. Prefer to have something from a non mainstream brand as like to be a little different but more concerned with getting a good bike this time around.

So far i am drawn too

Orbea Onix
Viner Magnifica
Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Any opinions on these bikes? Any suggestions on other brands i should be looking at?

Cheers

Comments

• EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Take a look at the ribble gran fondo. Ordering mine next week. :D
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    mkirby wrote:
    Ok guys need you to spend my money for me :lol:

Looking for a new road bike in the £1200 price range, all i want is something that is light and can go up hills bonus points if it looks the bees knees. Prefer to have something from a non mainstream brand as like to be a little different but more concerned with getting a good bike this time around.

So far i am drawn too

Orbea Onix
    Viner Magnifica
    Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Any opinions on these bikes? Any suggestions on other brands i should be looking at?

Cheers

I have an Onix(07 model) defo a good climber, can't comment on the others, Viners always get a good response on here. You can't really call a Bianchi non mainstream.
  • Bianchi's are the Raleigh's of Italy!

Anyway check my signature for my choice :lol:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Cannot comment on anything else, but am chuffed to pieces with my Boardman Team Carbon (Ltd Ed)
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • markos1963
    Cannot comment on anything else, but am chuffed to pieces with my Boardman Team Carbon (Ltd Ed)

I thought he wanted something non mainstream? :wink:
  • Thought about the Argon 18 from Epic Cycles.

The Veloce version in red looks great:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Argon18_Radon.html

I'd be sorely tempted if I was in the market for a new bike.
    Mens agitat molem
  • ive got the 09 onix, great bike.Not the lightest though but at my level it dont really matter.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bazbadger wrote:
    Thought about the Argon 18 from Epic Cycles.

The Veloce version in red looks great:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Argon18_Radon.html

I'd be sorely tempted if I was in the market for a new bike.

That one!

Or get a Cinelli Xperience built up...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    As you might guess from my sig, I'd go for the Magnifica (I have the previous frame design). Very comfortable all-day ride, climbs well enough (and I'm a weakling). Not twitchy- an acquaintance has compared it to a Volvo (she thought it was a bit safe and predictable for her, went for an Orca). It's a really quick Volvo, though....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • mkirby
    Not sure about the argon. The cinelli looks nice too. Think im leaning towards the orbea at the moment. Dads going in for a fitting at the lbs so will see what they can do for me, doubt they can match epic-cycles but if its not too much more id rather support my lbs. Sods law it will be hundreds more in which case epic are getting call.

Find out on the 9th i guess.

Thanks for the suggestions even though i really still dont have a clue what to get :)
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    If I were you I would drive to Epic (weather permitting) and try a Magnifica and snap up their current offer if the bike suits you.

My short-list in August was Bianchi C2C 928, Orbea Onix, Viner Magnifica and Look 566. I bought from Epic (300 mile round trip). The Viner, Look and Bianchi were all a class act and my preferences may not be relevant to yours but all were a step up in class to the Orbea.

Mine (Magnifica) has SRAM Rival by the way and is currently on duty on the rollers. I leave the old steel Roberts to the Turbo Trainer.
  • prod_28043.jpg
    Frame: Alu Superlite 7005 Double Butted, RFR-Geometry
    Fork: Dedacciai Black Blade Carbon
    Cranks: FSA Gossamer Pro Megaexo 50x39x30Z
    Bottom Bracket: Integrated
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra FD-6703BL 3-speed, clamp 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra RD-6700GS
    Shifters: Shimano Ultegra ST-6703 10-speed
    Cassette: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 12-25Z., 10-speed
    Chain: Shimano Ultegra CN-6700
    Hubs: Fulcrum Racing 7
    Rims: Fulcrum Racing 7
    Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo 23x622
    Brakes: FSA Gossamer
    Handlebar: FSA Wing Compact Oversized
    Headset: FSA No.10 semi-integrated
    Stem: FSA OS190 Oversized
    Saddle: RFR Natural Shape 0.1 R
    Seatpost: FSA SL280 31.6mm
  • OR (Wilier La Triestina Mirage Bike (2010) )

prod_26093.jpg

Frame: Aluminium with carbon seatstays
    Fork: Carbon With Alu. Steerer
    Cranks: Xenon 50/34
    Bottom Bracket: Miche
    Front Derailleur: Mirage 10 Speed
    Rear Derailleur: Mirage 10 Speed
    Shifters: Mirage 10 Speed
    Cassette: Miche 12-25
    Chain: KMC
    Front Hub: Fulcrum R7
    Rear Hub: Fulcrum R7
    Rims: Fulcrum R7
    Tyres: CST RIGIDA 700-23c Steel bead non-folding
    Front Brake: Veloce black
    Rear Brake: Veloce black
    Brake Levers: Mirage
    Handlebar: Ritchey Alu.
    Headset: FSA Intergrated
    Stem: Ritchey Alu.
    Grips: Unknown
    Saddle: Selle Italia XR
    Seat Post: Ritchey Alu.
  • mkirby
    If I were you I would drive to Epic (weather permitting) and try a Magnifica and snap up their current offer if the bike suits you.

I dont have a car :( so i would have to cycle or get the train, and the cost of the train fare would mean i wouldn't have enough for the bike :(

Roger there nice bikes really like the Willier. More food for thought, shall fire up google and see what deals are on then its a phone call to the LBS to see if they have anything.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I made that Argon18 Radon with Veloce (in red) a "Favourite" recently. Thankfully Epic don't just have a "buy now" button. :lol:
    The Viner Magnifica looks pretty special too.

Also very tempted by a CAAD9 (105) but eventually to lob Campag on it (idiot question - Campagnolo an issue with the 2010 frames having BB30?) but Cannondale might not take your fancy.

What about a Lapierre?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    signed by phill collins.
  • Hi, orbea onix is bobbins, i had one as a trainer and didnt like it, didnt handle well was heavy, and the finish was poor!!

I would get a bargain off ebay, maybe a look 585 or Argon, ridley, supose depends what you want it for. If to race on, i would get a ridley dammocles/09 noah or look 585/595, giant tcr wilier, BMC racemaster or pro machine or something like that

sportives or general riding scott cr1/addict focus cayo, felt, litespeed mira, planet x. Right im bored of nameing random bikes now!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    edited December 2009
    Also +1 for CADD 9, awsome bike for the wanger, and unbeatable for the price!! Stiff, light, good climber, fast acceleration, and the looks the dogs in silver!
  • wheeler585 wrote:
    Hi, orbea onix is bobbins, i had one as a trainer and didnt like it, didnt handle well was heavy, and the finish was poor!!

I would get a bargain off ebay, maybe a look 585 or Argon, ridley, supose depends what you want it for. If to race on, i would get a ridley dammocles/09 noah or look 585/595, giant tcr wilier, BMC racemaster or pro machine or something like that

sportives or general riding scott cr1/addict focus cayo, felt, litespeed mira, planet x. Right im bored of nameing random bikes now!

:lol::lol::lol: With that word I can tell you're from the wrong side of the Pennines

• Ha your from the darkside, all the bad weather always comes from your way and spoils our fun! :lol:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I will be predicatable and plug my own Kuota Kharma. Only because you said not main stream and looks the business.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    I will be predicatable and plug my own Kuota Kharma. Only because you said not main stream and looks the business.

That Kuota is nice

• mkirby
    I'm provisionally going to go with the Viner if my LBS can get one in. I would go to epic but i dont want to buy it without at least sitting on it. Due to the 2 day trip and £100 train fare to go see epic its not really an option.

If the LBS can get me one in and arn't too much more than epic, which i doubt, then its a Viner otherwise it'll be what ever they have in the shop i guess.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    mkirby wrote:
    I'm provisionally going to go with the Viner if my LBS can get one in. I would go to epic but i dont want to buy it without at least sitting on it. Due to the 2 day trip and £100 train fare to go see epic its not really an option.

If the LBS can get me one in and arn't too much more than epic, which i doubt, then its a Viner otherwise it'll be what ever they have in the shop i guess.

Triangle in Leeds are a Viner dealer. It's obviously nearer than Epic! If you give Adam a ring he might be able to sort a test ride out on a Magnifica (he doesn't have one in the shop but might be able to sort something out).

• mkirby
    mkirby wrote:

Triangle in Leeds are a Viner dealer. It's obviously nearer than Epic! If you give Adam a ring he might be able to sort a test ride out on a Magnifica (he doesn't have one in the shop but might be able to sort something out).

Thanks thats much more doable. Im getting so excited should get to the LBS this weekend to have a chat. Im soo looking forward to a new bike.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    mkirby wrote:

Don't let your local bike shop limit you - fair enough if they have the have the bike you want. But don't just spend £1200 - because your lbs happen to have it.

Why don't you get a' bike fit' done then you could go mail order. Shops like wiggle give you 7 days to change your mind (you can't use the bike) - but this has to better than just accepting the LBS offerings.
  • mkirby
    ok my LBS cant get a Viner in for me but they do have a rather nice looking Kuota Kharma that they can do me a deal on. Im going to go up on the weekend for a test ride and see what its like.

Has anyone any experiance of these bikes?

Ta
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I tried the Kebel and it went from dream bike to blimey no in 2½ miles. It just didn't work for me - pretty as a picture but as a bike it didn't do it. Don't let me stop you though. Try it yourself.

If you fancy something a bit less mainstream, take a look at the BMC range in Evans. Nice bikes, Swiss, mix of alloy & carbon and generally c/w 105 or Ultegra g/s. Very nice. I have a Race Master at the minute; v good bike - stiff, responsive, off the wall design, Ultegra, Fulcrum wheels etc.

BMC at Evans. Don't ask me about Evans customer service or PDI on the bike though. :(
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    markos1963 wrote:
    Cannot comment on anything else, but am chuffed to pieces with my Boardman Team Carbon (Ltd Ed)

There are only 500 Limited Edition models available (now all sold AFAIK)... how non mainstream do you want ? :wink:

TBH I would probably be putting my own bike together for £1200.
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • markos1963
    amnesia wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

There are only 500 Limited Edition models available (now all sold AFAIK)... how non mainstream do you want ? :wink:

TBH I would probably be putting my own bike together for £1200.

TBH I was refering to the name on the downtube rather than the model.