How far do you like to ride?

hilza
hilza Posts: 43
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
On a standard training ride, what distance do you like to do? I tend to find for a plain day 30/5miles is right for me, but I don't do super training sessions for races though, just enjoyment.

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I prefer to look at time instead.

For example, most of my rides are about 2 and a half hours long, which could be anywhere from 55-70km. If i'm out for less than 2 and a half hours, it just doesn't seem right, I don't feel tired enough, no matter how hard I go.

5 hour rides are also good, especially if venturing off into the hills. Again, for some reason, most of my long rides miraculously end up being at the magic figure of 5 hours. No idea how this works!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Usually between one to two hours normally, which works out roughly to 30~60km or so. Has been over 100km before.

Tend to go further in the summer, but if i start racing that might change.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I prefer around 65miles in North Wales. Generally around 40/50 in Manchester.
    teagar wrote:
    Usually between one to two hours normally, which works out roughly to 30~60km or so. Has been over 100km before.

You've done 50kph average over two hours?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima

That's possible in a very fast Elite level criterium.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:

That's possible in a very fast Elite level criterium.

Have you averaged 50kph over two hours?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Nope. Averaged it for 15 minutes down a hill though.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I prefer around 65miles in North Wales. Generally around 40/50 in Manchester.
    teagar wrote:

Yes :shock:...

You know what I meant!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I only get more than a couple of hours once in a blue moon.

So it's usually 2 hours tops.

Usually about 35 miles.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    68 miles or around 3 hours 30.. In the summer I'll probs up it to around 80-90.

I only do shorter ones when I'm short for time or just cba going on the bike so at least drag myself out for some riding.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    30 - 50 km, depending on the number of hills. Back home by 8.30am latest, before all the blind, deaf and ignorant take their cars out on the roads. I see a lot of sunrises....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Anywhere from 15 - 100+ miles.
    I try to vary my training, so, it could be a hard/fast 15 - 20 miles, or a nice steady 100 miles, depending on work/family commitments.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    In the summer, most of my weekday rides are fast 30-45milers, usually with one longer ride (60-75miles) at the weekend. I want to start doing longer rides more regularly, as I do notice that I tend to lose a bit of power towards the end of longer sportives etc.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    In the summer, most of my weekday rides are fast 30-45milers, usually with one longer ride (60-75miles) at the weekend.

+1. I want to do a century ride, but I run out of gas around 80 - 85 miles.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    hilza wrote:
    On a standard training ride, what distance do you like to do? ...
    Is there such a thing as a 'standard' training ride? Surely it depends on which aspect - hills, power, endurance - that you're training for and what your goals are?

If I'm doing intervals, 40 - 50 km, endurance, 80 - 100 km. This year I want to build up to a 200 km endurance ride a week so a 'standard' ride will change from week to week as the distance builds up.

My preference is for longer steady rides of around 5-6 hours to a full day in the summer (although this rarely happens).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Generally 20 -30km. :D
    I don't sleep with my bike really!

002-2.jpgSummer Bike
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Mid-week I can only get out for a max of 2hrs so my rides are currently up to 48km or so. Weekend rides are the same if I am training on my own. If I train with others, it's more of a social thing so we might stay out longer.

Before children I used to do 100km rides but don't have the time for that now.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    3-4 hour road rides is what I do atm.
    Generally solo, steady, hilly rides, try and clock up around 50-70 miles in that time.
    No cafe stop.

Great use of a morning, although a couple of hours after you get back you start to feel a bit tired...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Building back up at the moment so I'm at around the 40 mile stage but would normally be more like 60 miles on a Sunday when I'm fit.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    In the summer, most of my weekday rides are fast 30-45milers, usually with one longer ride (60-75miles) at the weekend.

Are you eating/drinking enough on the ride, or before?

If so, what about the day before?

If you can do 75 you can easily do 100. Sounds to me you've run out of glycogen.

Time allowing my rides tend to be in the 50-80 range, depending on whether they are flat or hilly and I never stop, although saying that I did a hilly 48 yesterday.
  • bobtbuilder
    edited January 2010
    sampras38 wrote:

Time allowing my rides tend to be in the 50-80 range, depending on whether they are flat or hilly and I never stop, although saying that I did a hilly 48 yesterday.

The day before I eat a cereal brekkie, sandwich or similar for lunch and vast pasta feast for dinner.

For brekkie on the day I would have a lrage bowl of porridge or muesli.

On an 80 mile ride (5 hours) in medium temperatures, I would probably eat 2 energy bars, a sandwich, 2 energy gels. I would try and drink 750ml NUUN drink per hour.

I reached 80 miles 10+ times last year, but never reached 90 miles :cry:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:

The day before I eat a ceral brekkie, sandwich or similar for lunch and vast pasta feast for dinner.

On an 80 mile ride (5 hours) in medium temperatures, I would probably eat 2 energy bars, a sandwich, 2 energy gels. I would try and drink 750ml NUUN drink per hour.

What happens to you at the 80 mile mark? Is it your legs or are you just done aerobically?

Do you wear a HR monitor while riding?

Perhaps you're riding too hard in the wrong zone.

If you genuinly think you're getting enough food and drink on the ride, try keeping the gels until the end. It's all they're really good for anyway. Your body will absorb them a lot quicker than food for when you really need them.
  • bobtbuilder
    sampras38 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

The day before I eat a ceral brekkie, sandwich or similar for lunch and vast pasta feast for dinner.

What happens to you at the 80 mile mark? Is it your legs or are you just done aerobically?

Do you wear a HR monitor while riding?

Perhaps you're riding too hard in the wrong zone.

If you genuinly think you're getting enough food and drink on the ride, try keeping the gels until the end. It's all they're really good for anyway. Your body will absorb them a lot quicker than food for when you really need them.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's always the legs that go. They end up heavy and lifeless. At that point I struggle along the flat in 34/25.

I'm not sure whether my food on a ride is enough. I always find it a real effort to eat during a ride.

I don't wear an HRM, but I got a Garmin 705 for Christmas, so I will start using the HR function of that.
  • sampras38
    You're welcome.

That does sound like a possible bonk but only you will know that.

And lastly, what about your bike position?

Do you think it's right?

I've played around with mine quite a lot and found a more efficient position with a lot of experimenting. Still think there's a little room for improvement but it's close enough.
  • bobtbuilder

Do you think it's right?

It was done as a bike fit many years ago but I have changed it slightly over the years. It feels comfy when riding, but is a lot different to the bikefit I had done in June for my new Summer bike.
  • sampras38

Do you think it's right?

It was done as a bike fit many years ago but I have changed it slightly over the years. It feels comfy when riding, but is a lot different to the bikefit I had done in June for my new Summer bike.

Again, this is purely guess work on the back of what you've told me, but if I was a betting man I'd say you're bike position is fine if you can do 80 miles with little discomfort. Sounds like the problem can easily be fixed.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Training rides vary so much according to time/intensisty needed. If I'm doing hill repeats then its 1-1.5 hours distance not important, same with interval training and tempo rides(2x 20mins). At the weekend then the club ride will form my endurance ride, usually 3-4 hours unless I'm training for a century then I will go out midweek and do another 3-4 hours. as others have said its more about quality nowerdays than distance and I find myself using a HRM more than a computer.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Weekends prefer to do 90 miles sat and 70 to 80 sunday, midweek 40 mile rides and up to 65 if weekend rides rained off.
    This is pre season.
    rarely do less than 35 miles, not sorth getting all my kit and bikes out for that. :D
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    On my own, Saturday just I rode 40 miles in 2.5 hours. With my club I can ride 65 miles in three with the help of sitting on a wheel and pulling at the front. Big difference, but I am getting solitary miles in ready for spring and club tempo....

I have ridden 85 miles on my own, hard ish work, but great times.