Rivington and Nab rides.

Whytepeak
Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
edited April 2010 in MTB rides
Rivington is one of the more popular natural mountain bike destinations in the NW, and quite a few of us webbos ride there.
Venue for the 2002 Commonweath XC, there is a selection of good routes on The Pike, along with the brilliant trail at Healey Nab close by, and the technical descents off Winter Hill, there are many routes to be ridden...

Now that all this pesky snow is on the way out, Rivi is rideable again, so I thought it might be time to get planning some meet-ups.

Any takers?
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• One day I'll ride out up there, I'll also bring the stick with me :lol: Going tomorrow for a walk, Mother needs exercise :lol:
    Caz xx
  • ChunkTT
    ChunkTT Posts: 39
    Every tuesday night mate, ussually from rivvi or abbey village and taking in darwen tower.
  • Ohh cool, I've no lights so my night forays are only summer :(.
    Caz xx
  • Whytepeak
    Ohh cool, I've no lights so my night forays are only summer :(.
    Caz xx

+1, my lights are pathetic :lol:

Speaking of tuesday, I'm thinking of going up rivi :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • ChunkTT
    ChunkTT Posts: 39
    Nice one, think a few of us are going up at 7 http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=3110

Welcome to join us.
  • Whytepeak
    ChunkTT

Doubt if I'll be around at that time - (got the day off), but if I see you, I'll say hello :)
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Whytepeak
    Am also thinking of going up on Tuesday as I have the day off (well you knew that bit :P )
  • compo
    Right - theres a ride going on this Saturday

May I be as bold to suggest that we meet at 11am at the lower barn unless anyone else hs any ideas?
  • Whytepeak
    compo wrote:
    Right - theres a ride going on this Saturday

May I be as bold to suggest that we meet at 11am at the lower barn unless anyone else hs any ideas?

Would have gone for a 10am start compo, as that has always been best, and there will be people travelling a lot further than you who always make that time - plus trains.
    If you need a lift there, just say compo.

If anyone can't make that time, shout out...
  • compo
    u drivin up there Whytepeak?

Forget my earlier fb warblings - saturday is fine :)

if anyone is coming furhher perhaps they could stipulate the time as it is harder for them
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    Yeah, I'll be coming, I still don't know where Lower Barn is though
  • I could be up for this. What's the plan, how far and what sort of time scale are we thinking?
  • Went up to Rivington for a walk today, it's still very icey on the main paths from the ice cream run/ van, but towards the Horwich side of the hill it's not as icey but there are still a few ninja patches just waiting to catch you :lol:
    It's not too bad down at the Japanese gardens either, just be careful as it IS rideable with care, there were quite a few bikes out and about up at the Dovecote and the pike today.
    Caz xx
  • compo
    We are thinkin of meeting at about 10:30 at the lower barn in the car park - map to follow

we will be ridin til about 3 - as StealTheR has to be away for then and it will be getting dark anyway

we aim to ride whatever anyopne wants to. It depends on who is coming and their skill level , we can always decide on the day as between us we know our way around well. However there are some good trails at heally nab. There is always the slab to consider, the pike and the decents off winter hill at 2 lads, although this is a bit further away given the time we will have.

Bring a waterproof and anything else you normally would on a ride as it will be fairly cold and blustery up there. If it is raining we still plan to ride but if it gets snowy and icy check back on here on friday night for a final decision

Anyone have any problems with this or anything else they want to add?
  • compo
    Directions to Rivington lower Barn:

1. Leave M61 at J6 and follow signs for Bolton/Horwich on A6027
    2. Follow to large roundabout at the end and turn left onto A673, signposted Horwich/Chorley
    3. Follow untill there is a small roundabout and go straight through it onto a minor dual carriageway
    4. Almost immediately turn right up a shallow gradiented hill signposted Rivington. There is also a brown sign pointing to great barn
    5. Follow this road unitl youmsee a brown sign - LOWER BARN LEFT/GREAT BARN RIGHT
    6. turn left into the lower barn/Go Ape car park
    7. If there is no room park on the gravel track across the road leading to the Great Barn

Hope this helps and noone gets lost :lol: I would recommend looking up the route yourself aswell but his should give you a general idea
  • If I can get a pass out for the day, I should be there.
  • compo
    Good - thats 4 then Mancunianfightingcat, StealTheR, Whytepeak and Myself

As I said - check back on heer later in the week for final times and arangements
  • Whytepeak
    compo

Calm down dear.

We doing the nab aswell, or the descent off winter hill?
  • This sounds interesting :)

I'd be up for some rides once I've got the P7 running... I hate riding with others when in the NS..... its slooooowwww up hills lol!
  • Whytepeak
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    This sounds interesting :)

I'd be up for some rides once I've got the P7 running... I hate riding with others when in the NS..... its slooooowwww up hills lol!

Sounds good benji, you should try riding an NS B*tch up a hill, with 66s on the front :lol:

Be good down off winter hill though.
  • Well my riding to work starts tomorrow so I'm hoping my fitness will improve, then i'd be more willing to give it a go on the NS haha!
  • Whytepeak
    If you do it on the NS, I'll do it on the blender :roll:

The Blender looks like a mini version of you're bike now. :lol:
  • StealTheR
    Anybody fancy giving me a lift?? :D:D

I really don't know where Lower Barn is. The only car park I know of at Rivi is like right in the middle of it with a road running through? That narrows it down :P It's pretty small aswell, thats where we usually start from.
  • I'll have get the train if you wanna meet me?
  • Whytepeak
    StealTheR wrote:
    Anybody fancy giving me a lift?? :D:D

I really don't know where Lower Barn is. The only car park I know of at Rivi is like right in the middle of it with a road running through? That narrows it down :P It's pretty small aswell, thats where we usually start from.

Hi Stealthy, I could give you a lift, otherwise I'll be riding there, depends how the weather is tbh - hate road riding in the rain :roll:
  • StealTheR
    If you ride there I'll join you so I know where it is for the future by bike.
  • Whytepeak Road ride as i don't fancy the ride from Horwich Parkway to Rivi on me own :(
  • Whytepeak
    Ok ok, I'll ride :)

It'll take quite a while StealTheR, and bwfc4eva868, could you give us some info as to where Horwich Parkway is - I'd be happy to ride with you, safety in numbers :wink:
  • lol wimps :P

I used to ride my bike through parts of Hounslow in London! Fast... but I did it haha.