Fred Whitton Entry changed - its a Lottery!

Comments

• AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Superb..........I'm in!!!!

Cant wait.............let the sun shine on may 9th!!!!

:P
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Booked my place, after three years of trying. If there is anyone out there from
    North London/South Herts who fancies a training partner, let me know.

It aint going to be easy :(

'A state of war only exists as an excuse for domestic tryanny.....'

I've sent you a message re training
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I'm in too. Yikes!!!!.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Crikey, I'm in too

After 3 years of failed entries.....I can hardly believe it :shock:
  • You will enjoy it.....hopefully.

I'm not in but i'm not bitter.....much!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    How's the training going? Havent done my usual milage this year but have been attacking all the big hills around here at least once a week. Feel a bit stronger climbing and feel I can go up even when tired. How about you all? :)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Holmeboy I also have not done my usual miles this year due to the snow but was down your neck of the woods last week and I know the roads well and feel that I am going okay and improving.

I am doing the Lakeland Loop next week and will try out my legs on Hardknott a month before the Fred.(4th Fred in a row) :lol:
    Brian B.
  • holmeboy
    Brian B wrote:
    Holmeboy I also have not done my usual miles this year due to the snow but was down your neck of the woods last week and I know the roads well and feel that I am going okay and improving.

I am doing the Lakeland Loop next week and will try out my legs on Hardknott a month before the Fred.(4th Fred in a row) :lol:

Let me know how you get on with Hardknot, having been looking at it on google eye and it looks longer than what I remember.
    The roads around here are in a terrible state after the Winter battering, have been unable to get across the Lammy's a few times because of deep snow. :)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Have you received your rider pack yet? I'm on the start list but nothing through the post as yet.....
  • holmeboy
    No nothing Yet
  • AndyD2574
    When do you think we will recieve anything
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Last few times I've done it I have received something in Feb. Guess they're just running a bit late this year.... Will be more patient
  • MrZ
    MrZ Posts: 55
    i didn't get in this year in the ballot - and i'm not bitter (much! - no really, will give me something to try for next year....)

Was wondering out of interest if anyone knew how many people actually entered the ballot. i heard talk that it was 4 times oversubscribed but the thing is i'm the only person i know who didnt get in.

3 mates entered separately and all got in and i follow 6 cycling and triathlon blogs and every single one of them claim to be doing it too.....! Given those odds surely it wasn't hugely oversubscribed?

Good luck to all those doing it anyway, hopefully the odds will be with me next year...
  • Brian B
    My paperwork arrived yesterday!!
    Brian B.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have had to bale out. I am really struggling to crack 25 miles after having pneumonia in January. I really thought I would be getting there by now but I guess the Docs and SHMBO were right, its going to take time. I did 26 undulating miles on Sunday and was totally wiped. Not good.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • AndyD2574
    Got my pack in the post..................its all a bit real now!!

Did the Lakeland Loop.....................changed my rear sprocket today!!!!

was a 11/25....................now a 13/29!!

Hardknot and Wrynose here I come!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • holmeboy
    Yeah got me pack too, fitted an 11/28 hope that's enough!
  • Pack arrived today. Mixed emotions realy, Fear+Excitement. Cometh the hour... etc!!!
    My biggest concern for this length of ride is nutrition. How much and when?
    I cleared Boots out of Lucozade sports drink and gels, will carry energy bars and bananas too.
    Just dont want to over/under eat,drink. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Good luck to everyone, lets hope its not wet!!!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    For a 7 hour ride, I carry 2 energy bars and 4 gels. I consume 1/2 an energy bar per hour for the first four hours and use a gel an hour for the the last hours. Ideally I save a caffeinated gel for the last hour. I usually budget for 500ml of carb drink per hour so I would start with two full 750ml bottles and carry spare powder for another 3 bottles. That way I'm independant of feed stations (apart from water), but pick up bits and pieces there if there's something I fancy. This is what works for me on my 5 or 6 hilly sportives a year.
  • Nickwill wrote:
    For a 7 hour ride, I carry 2 energy bars and 4 gels. I consume 1/2 an energy bar per hour for the first four hours and use a gel an hour for the the last hours. Ideally I save a caffeinated gel for the last hour. I usually budget for 500ml of carb drink per hour so I would start with two full 750ml bottles and carry spare powder for another 3 bottles. That way I'm independant of feed stations (apart from water), but pick up bits and pieces there if there's something I fancy. This is what works for me on my 5 or 6 hilly sportives a year.

7Hrs!...What about 10!!!...Seriously though thanks for that.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Nickwill wrote:

7Hrs!...What about 10!!!...Seriously though thanks for that.
    Sorry I haven't got close to 7 either. For a longer time out just increase the gels and the drink powder pro rata!
  • MrZ wrote:
    i didn't get in this year in the ballot - and i'm not bitter (much! - no really, will give me something to try for next year....)

Was wondering out of interest if anyone knew how many people actually entered the ballot. i heard talk that it was 4 times oversubscribed but the thing is i'm the only person i know who didnt get in.

3 mates entered separately and all got in and i follow 6 cycling and triathlon blogs and every single one of them claim to be doing it too.....! Given those odds surely it wasn't hugely oversubscribed?

Good luck to all those doing it anyway, hopefully the odds will be with me next year...

From a very reliable source I believe the number of rejections was no more than 400. It looks like some people self-selected out when they saw it was a ballot. Therefore the chance of getting in was better than 2/3. Also I think places available for those guaranteeing £250 sponsorship stayed open for quite a while afterwards. Definitely try again next year.
  • Brian B
    I just got a private message from a Dr Cath on this Forum about me being to ill to take place. I have replied that you must have me confused by somebody else and I am looking forward to taking place in the event.

Transfers are not allowed as my mate George could not transfer his place this year to somebody else but is guaranteed entry next year though since he gave his place. Somebody else from the reserve list then gets a chance.
    Brian B.
  • AndyD2574
    Hotel sorted.................rear casette changed................bike ready!!!

Looking forward to this!

Did the Lakeland Loop so I know what to expect on Hardknot and Wrynose..........hence the changed rear casette!!

This wil be the first 100 mile+ sportive so still working out my fuelling / food!

Only trouble is I am having to tinker with my shoe set up as fitted new cleate and knee giving me jip!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • Anybody going to stick their necks re the weather for next Sunday.

Metcheck seem to be doing a very good impression of sitting on the fence.

Being a 'southern softie' I may well leave the shorts at home.

'Mankind has invested more than 4 million years of evolution in the attempt
    to avoid physical exertion' - PJ O'Rourke
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Mmm... mud guards still on the bike I intend to ride.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,169
    Anybody going to stick their necks re the weather for next Sunday.

Metcheck seem to be doing a very good impression of sitting on the fence.

Being a 'southern softie' I may well leave the shorts at home.

'Mankind has invested more than 4 million years of evolution in the attempt
    to avoid physical exertion' - PJ O'Rourke

It looks like a washout, doesn't it? Better you than me then... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Something just come through our work e-mail about a large oil spill on the cold fell descent. Be careful out there folks!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • StuWalker
    StuWalker Posts: 9
    Something just come through our work e-mail about a large oil spill on the cold fell descent. Be careful out there folks!

On the weather front, just got this off the Met Office Site Lake District forecast for Sunday:

Sunday
    Mainly dry and bright with sunny spells. Scattered or isolated light showers, these wintry over the summits. Light to moderate north or northwest winds. Freezing level near the summits.

A bit cold - but I'll definitely take that - is it too much to hope for!

On the route - I had a ride round with a mate on Sunday - potholes galore - and posted the report with the organiser, they've put it up on the website here:

http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/RiderNotes.php

If anyone has anything definite on the oil spill though, let me or the organiser know as this can also go on the rider briefing.

Cheers
    Stuart
  • AndyD2574
    Good luck to everyone riding the FWC!!

Cant wait!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche