Bike geometry

LazyBoycp
LazyBoycp Posts: 320
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
I am thinking of getting a new commuter/winter bike to replace my MTB. The Kinesis Decade Tripster seems to meet all my requirements (road bike frame with disc brakes and the possibility of attaching mudguards/rack) but I'm getting really confused about whether or not I can set one up to fit me properly - I have a Specialized Roubaix that fits me more or less perfectly (according to me, and a bikefitting.com bike fit that I had done today) and its geometry seems pretty different.

So, what I'm wondering is...

Is there any online calculator (or other resource) that I can use to work out what stem length, etc I'd need given the frame's geometry and the shape of my body? I can find several geometry calculators, but they don't seem to do this.

Had been thinking of going down the custom route and getting something made in the same size as the Roubaix, but think this may end up being expensive enough for me to worry about leaving it in the bike shed at work!

Any help gratefully received...

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tell us what you have now (frame size, stem length/angle, number of spacers inc the spesh conical thing, saddle height/setback) and I'm sure someone good with maths and bike geo tables can help you.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • LazyBoycp
    I have a 56cm 2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert (geometry can be found here: http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0) with 4cm of spacers, 21.5cm from top of seat tube to top of saddle, don't think there's any set-back. The stem is 110mm and is 8 degrees below perpendicular to the head tube, I think, though I'm too tired to be certain and don't have a protractor!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I reckon you'd get a decent fit on a 57cm - you'll probably need to flip the stem to avoid too many spacers though.

A 60cm would work with a 9(ish)cm stem too with less spacers - depends whether you are willing to go that short.

I reckon you are best getting a bikeshop to work it all out as Kineses don't give much geo data.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • LazyBoycp
    Cheers for the advice. As you say, I think I'll have to go to a bike shop to find out for sure. Does anyone have any experience of Bike Shak in Altrincham, or Cycle Centre in Congleton (cyclestore.co.uk)? They appear to be Premier Dealers of Kinesis, so hopefully they'd be helpful. (I think Popette used Bike Shak for her new bike recently.)