Stripped rack eyelet thread

rhext
rhext Posts: 1,639
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I have one! Am using a Tubus disco rack on an aluminium-framed rockhopper for winter commute and occasional of-road touring. The thread is stripped off one of the rack eyelets and I'm wondering if it can be fixed. Are there some sort of inserts you can get to go into the stripped hole to make the screw bite again? If not, what's the best fix? I know I can mount the rack on the rear wheel skewer if I have to, but it makes the wheel a pain to remove if I get a puncture.

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    is there room behind the mount for a nut? If it's non drive side then you could just drill it out or use a smaller diameter bolt all the way though. That's also a possibility cassette side especially if you can get a thin net and hacksaw the bolt pretty much to length.
  • rhext
    No, unfortunately no room. But have tracked down product which would do the job: an M5 Helicoil seems to be the answer. Mind you, given my DIY prowess, I think I might have a go with the skewer mounting option and see how that goes for a while!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the problem.

is it an actuall hole that is now stripped or is it a rivnut that needs replacing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    If it is a stripped thread then you have three options:

Option 1: Helicoil, the best solution as it returns the thread to its original state.

Option 2: Tap it out to a bigger thread. Means that any standard equipment you wish to attach will have to be modified

Option 3: If it is a thread that can be drill right through, you could drill through and use a nut and bolt.
    A biking runner :)
  • rhext
    Thanks guys. It's the actual hole in the frame which is stripped. I spent a happy hour on Sunday mounting the rack on a wheel skewer. The rack is now rock-solid, but my mudguard no longer fits underneath it....and it's going to be a complete bugger if I need to do any trailside repairs. So now I need to ponder whether I practice removing the wheel without losing the spacers required to make the rack fit properly...or whether I take a drill to my bike frame and attempt to fit a helicoil. Me and drills don't get on, so I'll probably take the cowards way out...but I appreciate the help!