Will I benifit from buying a new bike?

jaysenbudd
jaysenbudd Posts: 10
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Ok here's the score I ride 4 miles to work everyday on a merlin malt 1 I changed a few bits on her and she is about 12 half kilos. I Just started getting into riding down the woods and around the southdowns normally do about 10 miles but want to do more in the summer.I love riding my hard tail its fast uphills and is so much fun coming down but I cant help but looking at all them sexy fs bikes. Confused and dont want to spend 1500 quid or so and be disappointed. my first post please go easy on me[/i]

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    keep riding it.....

try and get a shot on a full susser or two....then save up your cash.

but keep both bikes.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the only way to know is to ty one but id wager that you will very much enjoy the fs experience. you dont even need to spend as much as you think to buy a good one these days.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you can get to a branch of Leisure Lakes you can access their demo fleet which is allegedly the 'biggest in the UK'. FS bikes are comfortable and allow you to ride technical terrain without really thinking about it but there's still a place for the classic HT - and it's not in the canal :lol:

I'd keep the Malt 1 for the commute and get a FS rig exclusively for off-road.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    .blitz wrote:
    If you can get to a branch of Leisure Lakes you can access their demo fleet which is allegedly the 'biggest in the UK'. FS bikes are comfortable and allow you to ride technical terrain without really thinking about it but there's still a place for the classic HT - and it's not in the canal :lol:

I'd keep the Malt 1 for the commute and get a FS rig exclusively for off-road.

OP - I don't know where abouts in the South Downs you are but Quest Adventure in Worthing also has a small number of demo bikes, including a Marin Mount vision I think which might be a good tester for you.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • The thing is Hard Tails can do almost all of what mountain biking is about.

Yes its true full sussers are more comfortable over longer rides and you can get higher downhill speeds because you gain more control. But you do still need to pay a fair wack to get a decent one, and you will have more maintenance time and money.

So it costs more, but you can squeeze out some extra fun on technical trails while saving some aches and pains.

I agree with 'cee' try out a full susser but keep your hard tail.

It's all good.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain
  • Cheers guys for all your replys.And i dont think i could part with my merlin anyway so she's definately a keeper. I think I will spend the next few months trying a few different fs ones out there's just so many to choose from thou :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Spurious test rides ftw :lol: The Bikeradar demo days are brilliant if you can get to one.

Not to start another endless ht vs fs debate, but some people do prefer hardtails. You might be one. But you might not. Depends on so many things really. But your Malt will be capable of everything that most UK mtbers will ever do, really. I wouldn't want to ride one on a proper DH course but then, most people never do that anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You will probably want a fs after testing one. Took me 3yrs tho of trying them and finally buying one. But I ended up buying one that was not on my wish list, simply because it was not talked about much on places/forums and mags

Bit like a woman and her shoes try, try and try again.

As has been said above some fs bikes can cost a bit to maintain. Check on things like how long do the bushes and bearings last and how much to replace. Some need special tools apparently.

If you have just started offroading spend another year on your ht and develop your skills. Upgrading your forks will make a big difference.
  • Well if you've got £1500 notes, I guess you could get yourself an Anthem X 2. You could go for a Whyte 905 (which sounds a fantastic package) but you've already got a reasonable hardtail.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    My full sus was an ex test bike but was originally about £1250, its great on the ups and downs but it weighs about 15kg, so dont get caught up on weight!

btw... Shorten the stem on your merlin. i dont know what length it is now but thats always the solution! :D
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,887
    new bikes always make me smile :)