Training for Century Ride?

copperthorpe
copperthorpe Posts: 82
Done Lap the Lough last year which was aroung 80+ miles and this year I would like to complete my first Century before end of August but I'm not sure how to go about setting up a training schedule........any tips/advice appreciated.
C49

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    it's only 20 miles longer than the previous one you did - just keep doing whatever you're doing.....
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Yeah, a century just requires you to have a load of time available really.

My first I think I just used to build up my long ride on a Saturday or Sunday, initially doing say 50 miles and just keep adding to it until once I was happy covering 75 to 80 miles on a weekend ride, a concerted effort to just add the last bit seemed to be quite easy.

I think there can be a mental block to a century, once you have passed that distance you realise there is not much to it other than time really.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Its just another long ride. If you can do 80 miles fairly comfortably then you can probably manage double that. So 100 miles is easy :D
    More problems but still living....
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... oals-15345

You could adapt one of the training plans on the above
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • It can be useful to look for local sportive rides. Having an organised ride is a good start. I'm hoping to do the British Heart Foundation ride in Norwich http://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunt ... rides.aspx with my partner.
    You get the choice of 50 or 100 miles. On the 100, there is a stop at felbrigg hall, where you can have tea, coffees, hot chocolates, cakes, scones, bananas, etc before you do the last half. You get a certificate when you finish.
    The roads are fairly flat, views lovely and plenty of people take part in the ride. And you get to support a charity too.... :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Will just dig out my plan from last year and add on an extra week or two..........your positive replies have convinced me to go for it ( and maybe get rid of some Chrimbo weight at same time!)

Thanks.
    C49
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    It can be useful to look for local sportive rides. Having an organised ride is a good start. I'm hoping to do the British Heart Foundation ride in Norwich http://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunt ... rides.aspx with my partner.
    You get the choice of 50 or 100 miles. On the 100, there is a stop at felbrigg hall, where you can have tea, coffees, hot chocolates, cakes, scones, bananas, etc before you do the last half. You get a certificate when you finish.
    The roads are fairly flat, views lovely and plenty of people take part in the ride. And you get to support a charity too.... :wink:

Hmmmn there's a fair few hills along the coast before you get to scoff all that grub and I wouldn't set your heart on stopping at Felbrigg, last year it was held in Sheringham High School's main hall with a non too picturesque view of the surrounding housing estate.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    amaferanga wrote:
    Its just another long ride. If you can do 80 miles fairly comfortably then you can probably manage double that. So 100 miles is easy :D

To be honest I don't recall ever riding a 100 miler that was EASY. :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    dennisn wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

When you get used to riding VERY long distances then 100 miles does become easy :)
    More problems but still living....
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    amaferanga wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

When you get used to riding VERY long distances then 100 miles does become easy :)

Last year I got to 85 miles a couple of times, but I was dead on my ar*e. No way I could have done an extra 15 miles. I was riding in 34/25 on the flat by that point.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    amaferanga wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

+1 Amaferanga. Or riding 100 miles regularly. Takes a bit of effort to get there, but less to make / keep it easy.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    amaferanga wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Last year I got to 85 miles a couple of times, but I was dead on my ar*e. No way I could have done an extra 15 miles. I was riding in 34/25 on the flat by that point.

I know the feeling, I didnt the same last year and it was a major effort but this year im planning a few 100's :wink:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    A couple of us are riding around all of our branches this year for sports relief, four days of circa 110 miles - got to get my arse in gear!

Time to read up on those training plans - thanks!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    amaferanga wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Depends on how fast you ride one, 100 mile general ride, fairly easy, 100 mile TT at racing pace was f-ing hard work, and in alot of pain afterwards.