a problem with my avid elixier sl brake.

racefaceec90
racefaceec90 Posts: 120
edited January 2010 in MTB general
apologies if this has already been covered.this morning my front brake was fine,but coming back from the bike shop where i bought the bike from (a 2010 specialized stumpjumper fsr comp) i found that the lever had more movement before the pads bite the rotor.i just wondered what the cause of it could be? i'd just like to add that i am not having a go at the bike shop,(it was just the luck of the draw that it happened today/not the shops fault.)thanks :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the pistons need reseting.

there may be new pads in it.

the pistons may have been pushed home during the service.

have you had the wheel out?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for reply nicklouse.no the wheel hasn't been out for at least a fortnight.i have read on singletrack that a few people have been having similar problems with their new elixiers,some people suggested to return them (but to be honest i don't think i need to do that to mine as i haven't ridden the bike very much yet.) p.s i will push the pistons back in to see if that will sort it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there have been some issues with the adjusters on the CR and above. the SLs? do they have the same adjuster?

but i would be asking the shop what they did to the front brake /wheel as that may answer your question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yes i think they is the same adjusters.i don't think that the shop removed the front wheel (i took it in today as i thought that there was some play in the rear,and just wanted to get it checked out) i'm just wondering if it is a mix of new brakes/cold/snowy weather that might have caused the problem. i've just remembered another tip that someone suggested on st forum.they reckoned that you should tie the lever to the grip overnight to sort it,i might try that as well.
  • just wanted to say that i tried the tying the brake lever to grip last night (with an old shoe lace) and the problem seems fixed!!! fantastic!!! i would recommend trying it if your brakes go spongy :D