Training queries when using a turbo

weepiglet
weepiglet Posts: 75
Hi all,

Earlier this week, I jumped in and bought a Tacx Satori Blue (which CRC did for £179). I have got it all set up and the bike is ready to go but I am unsure as to how to start training and what additional equipment is needed! I got a DVD with the trainer but I'm not sure if I can use this as I can't connect my trainer to the tv so how does it know how fast I am going? Also, everyone is talking about heart rates and cadence but I don't have any equipment to monitor this so I was wondering if I should invest in these so I can keep up with what the DVD is telling me to do.

I have read NapoleanD's thread on training and he also mentions power, cadence, HR etc so I just don't want to get on the trainer, set it to resistance 5 and just go cause that's not really beneficial...is it?

many thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Not sure what DVD Tacx supply, but I doubt it is a virtual reality one, probably one with some training sessions on it, might be a good idea to watch it, and see what is on it.

Getting a HRM might be a good idea, at least you will have an idea of what sort of level of training you are doing, but to get decent HR zones, you will need to find out what your max HR is. You can do this on the turbo, and no doubt you can find information of how to do a max HR test on the turbo.

I wouldn't worry too much about cadence, I have it on my Tacx and my Polar HRM monitor, and I don't really train by it. I use it to check what sort of cadence I am doing, but I keep my sessions generally between 85 and 100, and once you have worked out the cadence, you tend to cycle at this from what I have found. If you did want cadence, get a HRM/cycle computer with cadence on it. I use a Polar CS200cad, it is fairly basic, but does the job.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Fit a rear wheel speedo (and cadence sensor if you fancy that too) and track your progress as your training moves from week to week with the rear wheel speed*.

Have a SEARCH on this forum - there are loads and loads of threads about workouts, videos to watch etc already.

* - provided you can replicate the setup each time - tyre pressure, roller pressure on the tyre, resistance setting on the unit
  • Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
    SBezza wrote:
    Not sure what DVD Tacx supply, but I doubt it is a virtual reality one, probably one with some training sessions on it, might be a good idea to watch it, and see what is on it.

The DVD is the Amstel Gold Race in The Netherlands and is a real life video. This is why I was asking about speeds etc because if I put it on and cycle at 17mph, how do I know if this is a good representation? I will have a hoke about and see if I can get other sessions.

I agree about getting a HRM, I think I will try and buy a cheapie in a sports store and try to keep a record of my progress and I suppose teh cadence thing will have to wait...I suppose I could count my pedals for 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to give me an idea!

Bronzie, I have a basic computer (Trek incite 9i) that gives speed so I can mount this on the rear wheel which will hopefully be enough to allow me to monitor how I'm doing.
  • I have the same trainer and DVD, although I haven't bothered to watch the DVD yet. I think this DVD is only really there to give you the feeling and atmosphere of being in a race in an attempt to eleviate some of the boredom of training in doors. I don't think it is intended as a training session as such.

I have just downloaded the sufferfest session which a lot of people in these forums recommend (you can find it easily on Google). It didn't cost very much and is an hour long work out that takes you through a structured session, telling you how hard to push etc etc.

I'm also tempted to look at the Chris Carmichael DVD's as well.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Not sure speed is that useful when the trainer has different resistance settings.

I've just been using the HRM to judge effort.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Slimbods wrote:
    Not sure speed is that useful when the trainer has different resistance settings.

I've just been using the HRM to judge effort.

If your trainer is stable (not always the case with fluid trainers) then a better approach would be to stick to one resistance setting on the trainer and use your gears on the bike to vary speed/effort. Your speed can then be used as a proxy for power. HR is crap for judging higher intensity efforts and there's also the issue of cardiac drift (e.g. if you stick to say 80% MHR for a 1hr session then its very likely that the intensity of the session will be slowly drifting downwards, which isn't ideal).
    More problems but still living....
  • Slimbods
    Thanks for the tip. I have a fairly basic turbo so can't change resistance on the go so do just stick to one setting generally and use the gears.

At the moment I'm using a combination of cadence and HR. I use a garmin forerunner gps rather than a fork mounted computer, so I'd have to buy another bit of kit to do speed.
  • amaferanga
    Slimbods wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. I have a fairly basic turbo so can't change resistance on the go so do just stick to one setting generally and use the gears.

At the moment I'm using a combination of cadence and HR. I use a garmin forerunner gps rather than a fork mounted computer, so I'd have to buy another bit of kit to do speed.

Cadence works as well. If your Forerunner has cadence though doesn't it give you speed as well?
  • Slimbods
    Sorry should have been clearer. Not got the cadence gadget, just the HR strap and GPS for speed when out and about. I measure cadence best I can with old fashioned counting.
  • Ok, so I fried to put my magnet on the rear wheel but can't get the computer to pick up speed as I think it's to far away from the pickup. Can anyone advise how to get the sensor closer to the magnet?
  • amaferanga
    weepiglet wrote:
    Ok, so I fried to put my magnet on the rear wheel but can't get the computer to pick up speed as I think it's to far away from the pickup. Can anyone advise how to get the sensor closer to the magnet?

Put a bit of rubber or something between the chainstay and the sensor before attaching it so it sticks out more? May not look pretty, but it worked for me in the past.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I have this turbo, and have now experienced on two occasions the 'old boy' going numb down there.

I have covered over 2k miles on this bike outdoors and never had a numb chap, any ideas why this might be guys, does anyone else suffer similar? :cry:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    found the best thing for keeping me on the boring thing earlier, my 5 year old sat on the bed playing with my iphone & I just kept going till he got bored!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Garz wrote:
    I have covered over 2k miles on this bike outdoors and never had a numb chap, any ideas why this might be guys, does anyone else suffer similar? :cry:
    Not unusual I think. Unlike the road (where the bike is moving around under you and you can shift around and get out of the saddle every so often) you tend to sit in pretty much the same position churning the pedals - the only solution is to lift your weight off the saddle every so often and move around as much as practical.
  • Garz
    Ahh O.K. thanks bronzie, I shall mix it up more next ride tomorrow.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Excellent. I'm glad someone else suffered from the same thing as I was hoping to avoid a marginally embarrassing trip to the docs. :lol:
  • I also sufferer similar numbness from the turbo. However, just because we now know 3 of us cyclist sufferer with this doesn't mean its OK. Maybe, we will all end up going to the doctors.

At least I have married a long time so any dysfunction in this area won't make much difference. What do not have, you do not miss, if you know what I mean.
  • Garz
    Well I included out of the seat minute intervals every 5-10 minutes today and it sorted the scary * I cant feel my manhood * sensation. 8)