705, 500 or CPU?.......

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
Ok, I've read all the recent posts on here, and still really none the wiser!
Anybody willing to push me off the fence?
Considering a wireless Powertap SL+, so, either will work with it.
Considerations:.....
There's a few good offers at the moment, for either model.
At present, I'm not really into maps, but I may want to use this facility at a later date.
Not prepared to splash £359 on a Joule!
Is the 500 much better than the Powertap CPU, or not?
How does the readout size on the 500 compare to the 705. I can sometimes struggle to read Powertap CPU, especially in the rain!

Ok..... Somebody push :shock:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    hopper1 wrote:
    Ok, I've read all the recent posts on here, and still really none the wiser!
    Anybody willing to push me off the fence?
    Considering a wireless Powertap SL+, so, either will work with it.
    Considerations:.....
    There's a few good offers at the moment, for either model.
    At present, I'm not really into maps, but I may want to use this facility at a later date.
    Not prepared to splash £359 on a Joule!
    Is the 500 much better than the Powertap CPU, or not?
    How does the readout size on the 500 compare to the 705. I can sometimes struggle to read Powertap CPU, especially in the rain!

Ok..... Somebody push :shock:

I often exaggerate and I'd say a million times better!.

500, customisable screens so you can display anything and at any size if you want. Honestly the 500 is so much better.

Can you go to a shop and play with one? You can see how great the displays are then.

My only concern, if my powertap starts going wrong, I am not sure how the garmin will be able to check this. I'm led to believe that the lyc has a diagnostic screen. Saying that, these days, there's enough people and forums so that you could get hold of a lyc, or help so don't know if that is a problem.
  • hopper1
    Ah.... So, can't customise screens on 705?

Good point about the CPU head, but I could borrow one :wink:

Thanks Chris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hopper1 wrote:

Thanks Chris

You can customise the 705 display.

You can get a 705 for 230 quid...
  • chrisw12
    hopper1 wrote:

Thanks Chris

Yeah sorry I was comparing the lyc and the 500. i have no experience of the 705.

Nap, where can you get a 705 for £230?
  • Anonymous
    chrisw12 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

Thanks Chris

Yeah sorry I was comparing the lyc and the 500. i have no experience of the 705.

Nap, where can you get a 705 for £230?

Stand by...
  • hopper1
    From here :wink:
  • hopper1
    Bugger!
  • hopper1
    Ok, NapD, so you obviously come down hard on the 705 side of the fence?
    As I said above, I don't use maps right now, but I would hate to discover I want to use them, at a later date, and then need another gadget!
    Do you have to have the map on the screen all the time, or could the screen be customised to just show relative data?
    That deal at Foot Steps makes the two models much closer in price, so easier to choose 705... :roll:
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    As I said above, I don't use maps right now, but I would hate to discover I want to use them, at a later date, and then need another gadget!
    Do you have to have the map on the screen all the time, or could the screen be customised to just show relative data?
    That deal at Foot Steps makes the two models much closer in price, so easier to choose 705... :roll:

You can have the 705 display whatever you want.

You can even have it display power in Massive-O-Vision and just have small numbers for other things, or none at all.

I have a 305 and it's great for that.

However, I'd be sorely tempted by the joule because it displays NP and TSS and what have you...

But the 705 at that price is very hard to resist.

Shame my PT is wired :(
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

You can have the 705 display whatever you want.

You can even have it display power in Massive-O-Vision and just have small numbers for other things, or none at all.

I have a 305 and it's great for that.

However, I'd be sorely tempted by the joule because it displays NP and TSS and what have you...

But the 705 at that price is very hard to resist.

Shame my PT is wired :(

Sell me your 705 cheap and then you can upgrade your PT and go wireless. :)
  • hopper1
    My PT is wired, too. But I read on CPM site that they're going to start offering a wireless conversion. :wink:
    Also, considering getting a SL+ on a different wheel build.
    I don't like the price of the Joule! Compared to the £230 for a 705, it seems extortionate, maybe you could find a law against it :shock: :wink:
    I'm really new to the PT training, do you think having TSS and NP on display (real time) would assist during a session, or be too much info at one time?
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    My PT is wired, too. But I read on CPM site that they're going to start offering a wireless conversion. :wink:
    I don't like the price of the Joule! Compared to the £230 for a 705, it seems extortionate, maybe you could find a law against it :shock: :wink:
    I'm really new to the PT training, do you think having TSS and NP on display (real time) would assist during a session, or be too much info at one time?

The wireless conversion will be about 500 quid...
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

:shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol: :shock: WTF!
    What is the point?
    I'll just go ahead with initial plan then... Get a PT+ from Wheelsmith :wink: then sell my wired PT.
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

:shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol: :shock: WTF!
    What is the point?
    I'll just go ahead with initial plan then... Get a PT+ from Wheelsmith :wink: then sell my wired PT.

You will end up with an SL+ spec though, that is the reasoning behind it...
  • Pokerface
    Oh dear. Now I want a Joule. :oops:

I like the idea of NP and TSS on the readout. Plus it looks WAY nicer than the yellow unit and is smaller than a 705:

4183981766_58808be0c8.jpg
  • hopper1
    Pokerface wrote:

I like the idea of NP and TSS on the readout. Plus it looks WAY nicer than the yellow unit and is smaller than a 705:

Cheers, Colin!

But, you are not helping me :shock: :wink:
    I'm trying to be sensible, and you are putting temptation in my way :shock:

I am weak................ :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:

I thought the same when I compared my head unit...

PTJoule.jpg
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

PTJoule.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ....
    Top job.... I had to look at that 3 times, before I saw the difference :wink:
  • chrisw12
    hopper1 wrote:

My view (and this really is going to be a debatable topic) is having np and tss while you ride is a waste of time and for me would be a negative.

1) I like to look at these things latter. There's the fun. I see np as a bonus, fun thing to look at. If my ap for a ride is say 220w and then I look at my np it's always higher and then I feel great about myself. :shock:

2) tss on the bike and you'll have people using tts as a target for their ride. i don't think that's a good training idea. My view, you should try as hard as you can and not limit yourself by one number.

3) IF. If you can't work out (approx) your IF as you ride then you're probably too stupid to use a power meter anyway. That;s a bug of mine though as I spend hours each day teaching kids how to calculate 10% and 5% in case they become powermeter users. :lol:
  • chrisw12
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

PTJoule.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ....
    Top job.... I had to look at that 3 times, before I saw the difference :wink:
    :lol::lol:

fair play. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I'd probably go for the 705. The only thing that would put me off it is that a few people have reported issues with data loss / drop out.

But having mapping is a mega-bonus.
  • hopper1
    Hmmmm, but when you see the two together, the Joule does look the Daddy.
    Especially the Mk II, with the extra 12 Watt readout :wink:
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'd probably go for the 705. The only thing that would put me off it is that a few people have reported issues with data loss / drop out.

Why?
    Do you ride away from home, or is that then an option with maps, or is there something about maps that I am not seeing? :roll:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    chrisw12 wrote:
    My only concern, if my powertap starts going wrong, I am not sure how the garmin will be able to check this. I'm led to believe that the lyc has a diagnostic screen. Saying that, these days, there's enough people and forums so that you could get hold of a lyc, or help so don't know if that is a problem.

The 500/705 doesn't give you any raw Torque values to enable you to do static tests or similar. However you can do that with a computer and an ANT+ USB stick (30 quid standalone, or you get them with the Garmin Forerunner 405/50/60) and as it's only something you're really likely to do in the comfort of your own home, that's fine.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Why?
    Do you ride away from home, or is that then an option with maps, or is there something about maps that I am not seeing? :roll:

??

Sorry, don't understand.

I like the idea of mapping out rides to areas I've never been...
  • Pokerface
    I can't use WKO+ - so a head unit that shows things like NP and TSS would be a bonus (even if only viewing them after the ride).

Unless someone can recommend some analytical software that shows these things that runs on a MAC?
  • chrisw12
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can't use WKO+ - so a head unit that shows things like NP and TSS would be a bonus (even if only viewing them after the ride).

Unless someone can recommend some analytical software that shows these things that runs on a MAC?

fair point, didn't think of that. :wink:
  • hopper1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Why?

??

Sorry, don't understand.

Sorry, Nap, that's what I meant, didn't phrase that very well, though.
    Is maps included, or an added extra?
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Why?

??

Sorry, don't understand.

Sorry, Nap, that's what I meant, didn't phrase that very well, though.
    Is maps included, or an added extra?

You just put some on a memory card. You can download them for nowt and the mammary card is about 4 quid.