what effect changing stem profile ?

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited January 2010 in MTB general
wot would happen if i went from 90mm lenght 15 deg , to 45mm , 0 deg ?
had a look at the stem comparison chart in the FAQ section to study the relative positions
of the handlebars between current and considered stems , but ....
how will this affect bike handling in real terms , out on the track / road ?
any pro's / con's from your own experiences ?
all feedbck welcome.

Comments

• KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    Your handling will seem more immediate, or even twitchy. You would have to try it for a bit I suppose to see if you like it. I almost changed to a 70mm from a 90mm but have decided to stay with 90 as I often do long streches on tarmac sometimes and like the stability
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Quicker steering, but less twisting from the trail, also change riding postiton to further back on the back and effectivly reduce the distance from saddle to bars and drop the bars down quite a bit too.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • biff55
    captainfly wrote:
    Quicker steering, but less twisting from the trail, also change riding postiton to further back on the back and effectivly reduce the distance from saddle to bars and drop the bars down quite a bit too.

guess this would alter where body weight is on the back / shoulders huh ?
    how would it alter hill climbs / decents ?

KT1973

you suggest longer stems comfier for long road rides ? hmm , your prob right , though
    you would gain sharper steering on techy rides.
    cheers guys.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I went from a 90mm 15degree to a 50mm 0degree stem, but also have wider higher rise bars and a fair old spacer stack on the steerer tube now. If it weren't for U-turn forks climbs would be even more miserable, but on the decents or rough stuff I much prefer it, while people say a shorter stem is twitchy I disagree,imo it's quicker but heavier and this has the effect of not feeling so fierce when the trail knocks you off line and there is a bit less load up front, it depends on what you do and how you like your bike to feel.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    personaly i runa 60mm stem, i prefer the handling the shorter stem gives, its alot better in the air, and feels better on tech stuf, esp compered to my old 100mm one.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • biff55
    cheers dude..
    thinking about it theres no reason not to use both ( existing and proposed stem )
    long = road cruise , short = tech trails , only takes 5 min to swop them round.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    What bike is it for? 45 mm is really very short.
  • biff55
    GHill wrote:
    What bike is it for? 45 mm is really very short.

felt Q520 , 17.5" frame.
    i agree GHill , its half the current stem length and with no rise
    just interested in the effects of the change in the saddle.
    i expect to lose and gain in some ways but wanted actual opinions rather than reading
    pages of technical bumpf.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Will probably make the handling very twitchy - may be good downhill but will wander off line uphill. Personally, going from 110 mm to 90 mm made a huge difference in this regard.

The change in reach can mean that you're less stretched out, which can have an effect on power/endurance. Could also lead to a sore back on extended rides as your position on the bike will be more cramped.

Cockpit setup is such a personal thing that the only real way to find out is to try it. I'd go for a cheap stem, just in case it's horrible. :wink:
  • 45mm is shoooorrt.

I use 50mm on the NS, but the bike handles is well because of the geometry and how its supposed to be ridden.

in contrast, i'm going for either 80mm or 70mm on the P7.