Burning rubber on a turbo- is this normal?

shieldsman
shieldsman Posts: 58
Hi Guys,

New member here- first post. Just bought a turbo (Tacx Satori) and seem to be burning a lot of rubber which is going off the tyre and onto my floor. I've got a training tyre on so that seems a bit odd- any ideas what it could be? I suspect the contact point between the turbo and the tyre needs adjusting in some way but not sure how/ where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RTFM.
  • Civility costs nothing. Would you laugh at a stranger who asked a (presumably) dumb question in the pub? I'm guessing the answer to that is 'yes'.

Thanks guys- you've confirmed all my prejudices about this kind of forum. Think i'll go and speak to a human being at my excellent LBS (look- abbreviatons, how clever!) and let you guys waste your lives with your in jokes on here.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    So, just to confirm, you've already followed all the instructions in the manual before asking that question have you?

and yep, go in your lbs instead, that way they can laugh behind your back when you leave :lol:
  • Pokerface
    shieldsman wrote:
    Civility costs nothing. Would you laugh at a stranger who asked a (presumably) dumb question in the pub? I'm guessing the answer to that is 'yes'.

Thanks guys- you've confirmed all my prejudices about this kind of forum. Think i'll go and speak to a human being at my excellent LBS (look- abbreviatons, how clever!) and let you guys waste your lives with your in jokes on here.

Reading the instructions that came with your turbo (and has the answer you are looking for) also costs nothing.

But in case you don't have them, go here:
    http://www.tacx.com/service/handleiding ... ainers.dot

Download them and READ them.

SHort answer is - the flywheel is probably pressed up too tight against your tyre.

Under the little lever that you step on the lock the flywheel against the tyre is a big, round dial. You can turn that to lesson the pressure of the flywheel against the tyre.

IF that doesn't work, come back and ask again.

Better? :roll:
  • I haven't tried out your 'remedy' but you'll notice if you read the manual that it states that the flywheel should be 'firmly' against the tyre. Nowhere is there a 'trouble shooting' section or anything of the kind. Posting a link that doesn't prove what you think it does doesn't strike me as very helpful but I suppose that's up to you.

When I set up the turbo I did fiddle with the 'big wheel' and it either burned rubber or didn't provide any real resistance. I was hoping someone might have alternative suggestions.

Essentially, you're taking the mickey not because I haven't read the manual (I have) but because you think I know less than you. That is almost certainly true. Congratulations. I almost certainly know things that you don't know although probably not about cycling. That's the way the world works. I came on here looking for some advice but perhaps I didn't frame the question properly and explain what I'd already tried.

Anyway, I'll be going into my LBS tomorrow in an attempt to resolve the matter.

Take care!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    shieldsman wrote:
    I haven't tried out your 'remedy' but you'll notice if you read the manual that it states that the flywheel should be 'firmly' against the tyre. Nowhere is there a 'trouble shooting' section or anything of the kind. Posting a link that doesn't prove what you think it does doesn't strike me as very helpful but I suppose that's up to you.

When I set up the turbo I did fiddle with the 'big wheel' and it either burned rubber or didn't provide any real resistance. I was hoping someone might have alternative suggestions.

Essentially, you're taking the mickey not because I haven't read the manual (I have) but because you think I know less than you. That is almost certainly true. Congratulations. I almost certainly know things that you don't know although probably not about cycling. That's the way the world works. I came on here looking for some advice but perhaps I didn't frame the question properly and explain what I'd already tried.

Anyway, I'll be going into my LBS tomorrow in an attempt to resolve the matter.

Take care!

Chill out a little...
    First post and you got short shrift. It's not the end of the world. Lighten up and you will find what a valuable source of info this forum is.
    I have a different turbo, but similar in practice.
    My twopenneth... Adjust fly wheel until it just touches your tyre (big round dial), then step on the lever to lock the flywheel in position. That should be the right tension.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks- you're probably right. Maybe I'm not cut out for this type of thing. Too sensitive.

Incidentally, where on the Norfolk coast are you? Was brought up around Fakenham and visit every summer
  • Pokerface
    shieldsman wrote:
    Congratulations. I almost certainly know things that you don't know although probably not about cycling.

There's nothing I don't know. 8)
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I have just read this thread and can't beleive that someone asking a genuine question has received such unhelpful responses. Surely if you have nothing constructive to say then its probably better to say nothing at all.

Anyway, I have a tacx flow on which I use a specific turbo tyre. You can calibrate the tacx flow so I am reasonably confident that I have the correct adjustment for the contact between tyre and turbo freewheel yet I still have a small amount of rubber debris on the mat on which my turbo sits. I therefore don't think there is necessarily too much to worry about to be honest.

Is your tyre hot when you finish your training session? If it is then it is likely that you do have a bit too much pressure on the tyre and you should slacken the resistance off a bit.

I would probably ask your LBS anyway as they will be able to advise you properly.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I had a similar problem when i first setup my Tacx Fortius - copious amounts of finely shredded orange rubber all over the floor. It was due to insufficient tension on the tyre which seems a bit counter intuitive.
    The tacx manual that came with the trainer was pretty useless in finding a solution to this. I think i found the answer on the Tacx forum.
  • I have a Tacx Flow and had same problem initially. It turned out i didnt have enough pressure in the rear tyre. So get the pressure up to 120, engage the flywheel roller so its touching the tyre, disengage and give the adjuster 2 full turns and then engage it again. should be sorted.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    As others have said, I had the same with a Tacx trainer tyre on my Fortius to start off with, which didn't happen with a standard road tyre. It stopped after a few hours of riding and hasn't worn any further since.

My standard procedure on the Fortius is to put 110psi in the tyre, then adjust the roller to just touch the tyre, drop it away from the tyre and do 3 and a half turns of the adjuster then re-engage.

It needs to be pretty firmly against the tyre, as the main source of wear is the tyre slipping against the roller, so tighter is, within reason, better.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Keep posting shieldsman..
    There will always be one or two members who rub people up the wrong way! :lol:
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    I thought you were supposed to use less pressure? I'm new to turbos as well and did exactly the same thing, after a few minutes I could smell burning and there was black dust sprayed all over the living room! I dropped down to about 90 PSI and tightened the roller against the tyre as others have suggested, and it's fine now. If it rubs then it's obviously slipping. I just use an old tyre so not bothered about it wearing out, but you probably need it tighter than you'd think.

Good luck, and don't take it the wrong way when people are sarcastic on the forum, it goes with the territory when you ask for advice on the internet. This is a useful resource if you can ignore the odd unhelpful comment!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Pokerface
    I run mine at 80PSI. Anything more and I risk the tube overheating and exploding.
  • jacster
    jacster Posts: 177
    Pokerface wrote:
    shieldsman wrote:
    Congratulations. I almost certainly know things that you don't know although probably not about cycling.

What about rehydrating properly? :wink:
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    jacster wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    shieldsman wrote:

Damn.... beat me to it :evil:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Pokerface
    jacster wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    shieldsman wrote:

Nice one. But knowing....and doing are two very different things. :lol:
  • you are just a beast!!! you are stronger then you think you are!! lol
  • Pokerface wrote:
    shieldsman wrote:

You don't mind the fact I'm having your missus 4 times a week then? :wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Couple things -
    Have the right pressure on the tyre - think 100psi or so will probably do
    Have the right roller pressure set - too much or little can cause excessive wear. You might be able to find the correct time to coast down to a stop which might help here.
    Have a turbo-specific tyre fitted to the wheel you for turbo'ing if you can do so - will not wear out, will preserve your normal tyres, will be quieter, won't overheat and thus risk explosion of inner tube.