Merlin wheels pleeeeaassseeee

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
C'mon then... which rim do I go for?

Want em strong enough for some nice trail riding, but light enough for a bit of xc.
UST maybe, but i'm not too fussed. i prefer tubes :)
must bare in mind that i'm 16 1/2 stone but i think i'm a fairly light/smooth rider.

B

Comments

• Stans Arch/ Flow Tubeless, or Mavic EX721Tubed version
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    depending on your weight I've been told the Stans Flows or 355's are good.
  • Mavic Xm719 - great wheels for the heavier rider, and light enough for XC
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the D521 is pretty much the only light indestructible rim, according to an acquaintance who is a semi-pro, i've seen what he did to a pair of 819 rims (many many flat spots with the rim flat, not just out of radial true as well as breaking them at the seam :shock: )

However you cannot get them any more :( the 719 has been great for me so far, but i want to try some of the stans rims next.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Mavic Xm719 - great wheels for the heavier rider, and light enough for XC

Agree with the 719`s, superb rim for strength vs. weight. DT 5.1`s also worth considering.
  • 719s or Flows
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    Are xc717's too lightweight for this application? If so, at what point or weight are they not suitable?
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Can't fault the Stans ZTR Flows that I got Merin to build. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone
  • pdid wrote:
    Mavic Xm719 - great wheels for the heavier rider, and light enough for XC

Agree with the 719`s, superb rim for strength vs. weight. DT 5.1`s also worth considering.
    I was also thinking the xm719. NOt too expensive either.

SS... i've done a search for the DT5.1 and a lot of people say the ding very very easliy!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Xm719 (on Hope Pro II) from Merlin have been faultless for me.

Definitely recommended.
  • MarkDon wrote:
    Are xc717's too lightweight for this application? If so, at what point or weight are they not suitable?

I currently weigh over 14 stone and have been using 717s on my hardtail for a couple of years.They are pretty tough.

I doubt that they are much weaker than the rims mentioned above,its just that being realatively narrow they only support tyres up to a 2.2,meaning you are more likely to damage the rim via a pinch flat.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • MarkDon
    MarkDon Posts: 200
    Cheers for clearing that up spidey, think i'll stick with the 717's and 2.1 tyres.
    2009 Kona Blast Deluxe - W.I.P Started...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12693279
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    719s are good - I did the Mega on them and I weigh 16.5 stone, they only needed a few spokes tightening up afterwards.

My new Stan's Flow rims are pretty sweet though, but I've not tried them out properly yet. Very easy tubeless setup though.
  • Just got a reply from the merlin wheel builder (I only emailed last night so I'm very bloody impressed!).
    He's recommended the 719rims so i'll go with them :)

Just need to gets paid nowwwwwwwwww!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i had pro2 with db spokes and xm819 rims. they were very tough and weighed 1900g (which is a bit heavier than they are "supposed" to be) if you dont want ust though you might as well save 100g and use the 719.
  • ahh so thats the difference between 819 and 719!

Not sure I want tubeless.... i'm not convinced by it :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you ever wanted to give it a go the rim strips add up to about the same as the difference between the 2 rims anyway.

im under the impression that the xm819 is more tough though as there are no holes in the bed of the rim so the rim should be stiffer and whatnot,
  • hmm fair enough... something to think about!cheers for putting even more ideas in my head :P
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    sorry to thread jack, but how strong are the stans ztr flow's im thinking about a merlin build of ztr's on xt rear hub and a pro2 15mm front (is the pro2 15mm adaptable to 20mm?) how light would that be? it would come to about £180 and i recon that that is awsome value for a very good wheelset.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    sorry to thread jack, but how strong are the stans ztr flow's im thinking about a merlin build of ztr's on xt rear hub and a pro2 15mm front (is the pro2 15mm adaptable to 20mm?) how light would that be? it would come to about £180 and i recon that that is awsome value for a very good wheelset.....

Flows are a pretty burley rim, certainly all mountain strength. The Pro II hub is convertible, but you need to buy a kit. Weight will depend on spokes etc., with DT Comp I would think about 1950 g. That's with the XT M756.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    GHill wrote:

Flows are a pretty burley rim, certainly all mountain strength. The Pro II hub is convertible, but you need to buy a kit. Weight will depend on spokes etc., with DT Comp I would think about 1950 g. That's with the XT M756.
    1950 for both wheels?!?!?!? thats not much more than my back wheel alone at the moment! WOW! might have to do some sabving...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Both wheels, without tyres, tubes or cassette.

Probably worth getting some cone spanners too, for the XT hub.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    ProII with Flow DT DB spokes and brass nipples =
    880g Front
    1006 Back

1886 for the pair

If you want to go tubless then have alook here :
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheels_info.php
  • I have XM719s on Hope Pro IIs from Merlin and I'm very happy with them. have taken a beating on my Stiffee with only a little tweaking needed from my friendly wheel builder.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Go with the Mavic D521. I have a set and they aren't as light as my 717s but they are stronger with the bonus of being relatively light in comparison to other rims for the money!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got Merlin to make me a set of 717s on XT, they've been very good, but I did end up regretting not getting 719s- the weight and cost difference isn't that big but the wider rim would have been worth it. And maybe 819s for tubeless for that matter.

Still, my 717s have needed only very minor tweaks and they've been thumped pretty hard. I put it partly down to the build, a mate of mine has the exact same setup from a competitor and he's forever having me retrue the wheels.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    For the price of building on a Stan's rim (current rrp £90) I'd look at the price of a pair of Hope Hoops on Flows, get a nicer rear hub than the XT one, and quite possibly for less money!

819s are a bugger to build on, I'd far sooner have a converted Stan's rim than a UST one too, particularly if you're not wanting to use UST tyres. 719s or Flows for my money.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I gather Stans rims convert to tubeless in the same way my Traversees do (since the Traversees are a blatant stans ripoff as I understand) so it's just tape round the rim to seal it, is that right? If so, it's a brilliant way to do things, light and simple.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I've had a set of D521's on my Marin HT for about 8 years. I'm over 17 stone and after light XC rides, local quarry shenanigans and more than the occasional foray into the Peak District they are still as straight as the day I bought them. No idea how much is left on the braking surface tho!!!!!

I've just put an XM719 (on Hope Pro II) on the front of my Specialized FS after I stuffed the original one into a tree. Not been out on it much but I'm happy with it so far. Bought it from Merlin after recommendations on this forum.

Just need the rear one to match it now....... :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.