Pereiro tests positive

nochain
nochain Posts: 5
edited January 2010 in Pro race
According to Eurosport Oscar Pereiro tested positive for a banned substance during the 06 tdf, read all about it here:
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tour ... 9188.shtml

Comments

• nikopro
    nikopro Posts: 21
    Not good,definately not good[V]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    He's not positive under either WADA or UCI rules. It's a nonsense, just the French making a (cheap) political point.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

He's not positive under either WADA or UCI rules. It's a nonsense, just the French making a (cheap) political point.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    It's a little more than that. No, he won't be positive under WADA or UCI rules, but he could still be stripped of his placing (whatever that ends up being) and excluded from racing the Tour next year. That could be serious for him.

See http://procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2600 for more.

---
    Jeff Jones

European News Editor, Bike Online Project
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This is pretty much what Lance would claim happened [:)]
  • Forgive me for being cynical, but asthma does seem to be very frequent among these very strong and fit athletes. Is salbutamol also used as a masking agent?

In any case, the problem with Pereiro is that his documentation explaining why he should be allowed to take salbutamol was incomplete. I suppose all the paper work will soon be in order.

Robert
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It would be interesting to compare elite athletes against the general population for things like asthma. Perhaps they suffer from it more because they can turn themselves inside out more than others and get exercise induced asthma.

Or perhaps asthma affects certain types of people more, certain types of people are more likely to become elite cyclists etc.

Or it could just be a masking agent.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • good to see he's been cleared, now we can get on with this years fiasco, I mean race
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    The only way to clear this up is for each rider to be tested for asthma by an independent respiratory physician. Only those riders with asthma then to be allowed to take the medication.
  • MSAIZ
    MSAIZ Posts: 6
    To all.

There are several issues with what is being alleged against Pereiro. First Salbuterol is a beta agonist. It helps you breath better by relaxing the airway that can become inflamed by exericse, hence the diagnosis exercise-induced asthma. This is actually quite common and you can see tons of professional atheletes in high school through the professional ranks use some type of this medication (there are several forms) before and after severe exercise.
    However, this can be used to open the airway even more and your body will process the oxygen. However, I have not seen any studies that demonstrate how much extra lung capcity this would generate in a normal athelete.
    The problem is whether or not this is a valid excuse. The answer is that it is. This would be similar to the finding that Armstrong used a steroid cream for his saddle rash. This again is legitimate--the cream Armstrong used was I believe triamcinalone. There is not any atheletic advantage to using this cream. And for someone to suggest otherwise would be spurious. The same can be said of someone acusing Pereiro of doping with the product he supposedly tested positive for.
    You can't just not treat a person for asthma because someone thinks that they are lying. A further problemm with this argument is you would have to use this inhaler all the time and over a 4 to 5 hour stage this just isn't going to provide an advantage over another athelete who trains at altitude. And, if used incorrectly these drugs can be potentially fatal (very rare). The same can be said of amphetemines (greenies). Professional baseball players in the US have used these for the last 30 years. None of them have ever died. However, you look at Tom Simpson and these same drugs killed him when he put his body under too much stress on mt ventoux.
    I hate to play the Yankee card here but I think the French have some major issues with anyone winning a race that they claim a rightful heritage too. You Brits are more familiar with this than most. Pereiro is a good rider but Dessel or Voeckler could have potentially done something gutsy like his move.
    What this comes down to is that the French have realized that they will never be able to prove without a doubt that thier top two podium finishers were or were not drug free. What they fail to understand is that the Tour is won by not only those racers who were physically superior, but mentally superior as well. That is why all the great riders like mercx and hinault and armstrong were so awesome, they exuded a sense of confidence that destroyed other riders sense of superiority. The Tour is awesome because of its history, its routes, and it level of difficulty. Unfortunately, the arrogance that the French demonstrate by the way they run thier race, thier quest to weed out anyone that may even hint of cheating will only cheapen their race and cause the money to go elsewhere. (Yanks demonstrate the same attitude toward Basketball--Once we started getting are tails handed to us in the olympics it lost some of its luster). They will have cut off thier nose to spite thier face.

Cheers.
  • Anonymous
    +1
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    NapoleonD wrote:
    +1

Holy molly thread revival!!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I thought Pereiro's form was a bit good when he got into Yellow. In the same respect in which Chiapucci's form went through the roof after he accidently found himself in Yellow many moons ago.
    A lot of bike riders find they have asthma after they retire as they pack up the Steriods. I remember one rider saying such things. I think it's not taking Asthma drugs that is the problem; it is the amount. Igor González de Galdeano Aranzabal (what a name) got in trouble for using over the prescibed dose for Salbutamol. He too was in the Yellow Jersey.
    Miguel Indurain used the same drug but was never over the limit as he was proved a medical need for the drug.

-Jerry

PS- Oscar was supposed to be almost retiring due to depression. This isn't going to help.
    Maybe he knew that all this would surface at some point.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,778
    Posted Wed Feb 7, 2007 4:36 am
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    :wink: Well, I've just gone onto the official Tour Down Under website - no mention of him not starting next week's race.

There goes Alberto's defense
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited January 2010
    MSAIZ wrote:
    I hate to play the Yankee card here but I think the French have some major issues with anyone winning a race that they claim a rightful heritage too...
    A bit late maybe, but as Brit who has lived in France for a number of years I can categorically say that MSAIZ is talking out of their arse here. Most people in France couldn't give a monkey's about The Tour these days, other than as a diverting ‘soap opera’ involving doping. They care even less about professional cycling in general. This is not the 1950’s any more!
    MSAIZ wrote:
    The Tour is awesome because of its history, its routes, and it level of difficulty. Unfortunately, the arrogance that the French demonstrate by the way they run thier race, thier quest to weed out anyone that may even hint of cheating will only cheapen their race and cause the money to go elsewhere.
    Yet more ‘Yankee’ anti-French xenophobia. (The sort of thing Armstrong has both fed and exploited for years). Move on a few years and the ASO - the people who run the race - have decided to all but turn a blind eye to the doping issue, have sacked Patrice Clerc and have teamed up with the UCI in order to ensure that no 'embarrassing' doping-related stories marred the return of his (going by the available evidence still blood doped to the gills) Holiness..
  • Anonymous
    WTF is going on here?!? :o
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's fantastic. It's like April 1 all over.
  • mididoctors
    NapoleonD wrote:

either/////////

you revived a 2 year+ old thread

or

your account was hacked and someone dd it for you?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's fantastic. It's like April 1 all over.

well you need to explain The Kaisers comeback it seems

me thinks something is bruk
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Fantastic. I thought I was going mad for a minute there, with Nap D +1ing that bonkers Yank.

Can we revive some other long-dead threads about whether Armstrong dop....

Eh?

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • hockinsk
    hockinsk Posts: 100
    Have I been in a coma?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    No, we've all been kidnapped in a time space continium thingy.

I'm confused.

Has Oscar been rumbled in 2010 or not?

Is Napoleon well, or resting in a psychiatric clinic with an older femme fatale?

Have Greater Manchester Polis found his password?

Bet it's Josephine anyway.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... :shock:
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    afx237vi wrote:
    Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... :shock:

don't blink
  • Anonymous
    It's an old forum trick.

See how many people you can get to post serious replies on a dead thread...