Forks - Fox or Rock Shox?

covelove
covelove Posts: 209
edited January 2010 in MTB general
just thinking of posts in the buying catagory and thought i'd start a fight - Fox or Rock Shox? i thought i'd leave it at two as they are the most popular forks but is there really much difference in quaility etc
IMO fox have the upper hand on decals and looks but rocks are solid.
any thoughts?
does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Think it depends on application TBH.
  • RS.

The price hike on fox's doesn't seem to have a reason... they are no better than RS.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on so many things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of course the Dart is a better fork than the Van 36.
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    edited January 2010
    lets go for looks and build quaility on like for like forks?
    sorry should have made it more clear but just talking generally.
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • nicklouse
    covelove wrote:
    lets go for looks and build quaility?

again both have crap and good forks.

so neither.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    If we take two comparable models, say the Fox 32 Float R and the Revelation Race, the latter is lighter, cheaper and more adjustable, with generally better quality bushes and seals.
  • nicklouse
    and the boxxer or the 40? the 40 is just the better ( using the 2009 boxxer as comparison).
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    tbh i reckon that without the blackbox motion control, rockshox would be wayyy behind fox in terms of damping. having ridden afew fox forks and having ridden rebas/revs and owning toras, fox are by far the better fork imo, the only bad thing fox have done was the terralogic lockout, which was shite.

also have a look at what manufacturers spec on bikes, and all the "base" bikes, for example cannondale rize commencal meta have revs, whereas the rest have fox :wink:
  • supersonic
    Fox is viewed as expensive, top end kit, so some manufacturers bend over backwards to fit them on the bikes for the consumer. Often to the detriment of other parts, when generally RS are cheaper and lighter.

Orange crush is one example - nice fork, horrible wheels. A Rev and better wheels would be a far better package IMO.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    DT swiss 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Definitely magura.
  • lawman
    RealMan wrote:
    Definitely magura.

magura's feel like frozen dog shite :roll: :lol:

the WORST forks i have ever tried
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    edited January 2010
    ive used a few diffrent models ove both brands and id buy rockshox everytime unless fox sort a few things out ie bushes and prices.

if you had asked me 18 months ago it would of been fox but RS overtook the competition with there 09 range and blew them away with the 2010 range
  • I've had Fox 32RL's, Fox F90's, RS Pikes, Indy's, Judy's and used Reba's. I'm in the Fox camp. And Mojo are so so so good for back up (and local)
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • I voted fox as they are better in terms of action and plushness on the different models I've compared. However if you're talking in terms of value for money then that changes things. Often the differences between the two companies is minimal but Rockshox regularly beat fox on price.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Haven't ridden Fox forks yet so I can only comment on the look.

Fox are borring. They all have the same sticker and most of them have the ugly grey colour.

Rock Shox forks have different paintjobs and stickers and you can tell what fork a guy is riding 1mile away. :shock: They do have grey forks but not that much. Plenty of colours too.

Magura's look the best. 8)
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I own both and the Fox feel miles better and weigh the same, but they weren't cheap.
  • supersonic
  • grumsta
    Pike Coil U Turn vs Fox 36 Vanilla
  • supersonic
    A bit different lol. The Lyrik or Totem is more in keeping with the big Van.
  • lawman
    a lyric is always gonna be heavier than a 36 tho tbh, the difference between the solo air lyrik and 36 van is about 50g :shock: and the float is about 200g lighter than the lyrik, and dont forget the issues rs have had with 2 step :roll:
  • supersonic
    Yeah, 2 step is not very good. But the Mission Control damper is fantastic, the most adjustable damper on the market. Seems to add a bit of weight though.

The Lyric Solo Air is lighter than a Van, about nearly half a pound! Especially with the top damper installed, not just the R. Infact the Lyric IS coil is the same weight as the Van R.
  • grumsta
    A bit different lol.

Except that they weigh almost exactly the same - therefore the 36 is miles better. :)

Also cost not much more at the price I got them for. :P
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    lets go for looks and build quaility on like for like forks?

DT Swiss :wink:
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • interesting to see that no one has mentions a zochhil as their fav fork :lol:
  • nicklouse
    well any from 2007 and before is fine. 2008 to 2009 are interesting and we will have to see how things pan out in 2010.
  • yup they had quite a shocking year in 08/09. Moved factory and everything went to pot didnt it?
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    I have Fox RP23 rear shock which has been great and I'm just about install new Rock Shox Reba Team 120mm Maxle Lite which I reckon will be the dogs and I'll get a review up once my new bike is built