Kinda new to this bike lark

C6SSYBOY
C6SSYBOY Posts: 27
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, I have been cycling for probably 35 years on and off, nothing serious, just to school when i was kid, then when i left school and got a job i would cycle there, maybe not everyday, but i've always had a bike of some sort.

Well about 5 years ago i bought a pinarello angliru, rally loved it, probably didn't use it as much as i liked though, well, more recently i have been thinking about doing cycling abit more serious, you know, new year new me, i really fancy doing the dartmoor classic, only 65 miles though, only he says :)

I have changed my diet some what, porridge for breakfast, fish on ryvitas for dinner and if the wifes cooking it will be a roast, during the day i will eat lots of fruit, blueberries, grapes, apple, bananas, pears, an orange, oh and nuts with raisans, muller rice, i've also started eating olives, oh don't forget my egg whites :)

I've done a bit of research into haveing a protien drink and bought myself some whey powder, i've also bought a cycling training pack from lucozade.

Now all the time i rode the pinarello, i never really had a routine for the food, i would just take two bottles of a lucozade and ride, so my question is am i doing the right thing with regards the food side of it now, is there anything esle anyone would recommend to eat to help me ride better.

Also, i like to go cycling early morning, say 6 - 6.30 what do you recommend i eat prior to the ride either the night before or in the morning.

I've since sold the pinarello and bought myself a 2009 Specialized Tarmac pro, it's such a lovely bike, easy to ride, quick, smooth.

Thankyou for your time and i look forward to you answers.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I wouldn't eat anything before a ride that early - if you want just eat a bowl of cereal or porridge - nothing special, and I wouldnt worry about what you eat the night before either.

I also wouldnt get too worked up about what you put in your bottles, I generally use water or ribena, and thats for hard 50 miler training rides.

Post back with some idea of what sort of rides you are doing length/time wise.

Dont get too bogged down with what you eat - its time on the bike you need/want. One of the plus sides of decent mileage on the bike is that you can eat all sorts of crap and still be thin. :)
  • Hi Simon, thanks for your reply, with regards to the drink i use, i went out on the bike last saturday with the lucozade, i felt pretty good, well the next day i went out (sun) and just took water, i felt like i had no energy.

I've been riding about 25 miles, the first 5 miles is fairly flat, then i hit a hill which is about a 4 mile climb, maybe a bit more, the rest of the ride is again, fairly flat, i take about an hour and a quarter.

I weigh about 13 ~ 11, ideally, i would like to get my weight to under 13 stone.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    C6SSYBOY wrote:
    Hi Simon, thanks for your reply, with regards to the drink i use, i went out on the bike last saturday with the lucozade, i felt pretty good, well the next day i went out (sun) and just took water, i felt like i had no energy.

I've been riding about 25 miles, the first 5 miles is fairly flat, then i hit a hill which is about a 4 mile climb, maybe a bit more, the rest of the ride is again, fairly flat, i take about an hour and a quarter.

I weigh about 13 ~ 11, ideally, i would like to get my weight to under 13 stone.

Not a bad pace, 25 miles in 1 1/4 hrs, where in the country is a four mile climb? Thats a long old hill. I train in Peak District and there arent too many like that round here.

I still wouldnt bother with anything other than water for 25 miles, but if you feel better with something then OK, maybe once you build up some more you wont find it so necessary.

Just re-read your original post - fish on ryvita??!!!! :shock:
  • SheffSimon wrote:
    Just re-read your original post - fish on ryvita??!!!! :shock:

:lol: i know, a bit strange that one, it all started with me getting very bloated when i was eating bread, so i thought i would try the ryvitas instead, i still have bread on the odd occasion, granary :wink: peanut butter sandwiches :D

I appreciate your time simon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am with Simon, you don't really need anything other than water for your first hour or so.

I then sip Torq Energy Drinks (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Torq_Energy_Powder_Drink_15kg_Tub/5360026376/)from then on as I usually feel low energy after about 90 mins. If I have plannned to do more than 3 hours riding then I only take torq, no water at all. I feel better on the bike and more importantly feel better once I have finished, no big energy drains. Also if I am doing the longer rides I eat torq bars or any other carb type bar just to keep the energy up and help recovery and immune system after the ride is over.

On return from all my rides I take a recovery drink, at the moment I am using http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/onestoppromo.html and http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/boditronics+profusion+reloaded.html I think these have helped me the most, good recovery and energy levels for the next ride and also maintains muscles mass and strenght whilst getting rid of the flab. I've gone from 21st in April last year to 15st just now. Another 2st to go and I will be very happy.
  • If your anything like me you will be feeling the effects of cramp before you feel the lack of energy on short 25 mile rides (especially at that pace; 20mph up a mile climb!!!! :shock: ). Consider some electrolytes if this is the case.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    meruz2008 wrote:
    If your anything like me you will be feeling the effects of cramp before you feel the lack of energy on short 25 mile rides (especially at that pace; 20mph up a mile climb!!!! :shock: ). Consider some electrolytes if this is the case.

I use one scoop of Torq Energy instead of 3 in a 750ml bottle to act as an electrolyte drink to keep the cramps at bay, much cheaper then the likes of nuun, although I only ever get the cramps in summer.
  • meruz2008 wrote:
    If your anything like me you will be feeling the effects of cramp before you feel the lack of energy on short 25 mile rides

Touch wood, i've never suffered from cramp, on some occasions i've just felt light headed when i've finished, although i do suffer from cold feet :lol::lol::lol:
    meruz2008 wrote:
    (especially at that pace; 20mph up a mile climb!!!! :shock: ).

I really don't think i do that speed up the hill, i do make up for it on the flat though.
    I think this is one of my down falls, i tend to go at it as fast as i can, i do struggle with pacing myself
    meruz2008 wrote:
    (Consider some electrolytes if this is the case.)

mmmmmmm perhaps i've not done my research enough

thunderflash55, well done for looseing the wieght, i really admire people with a get up and go attitude
  • Before a long ride i will eat a good meal the night before and breakfast wait for half an hour after brteakfast and then go.
    Sometimes i do wake up at a stupid time 0500 and just get some drink and grub and go out!
    I normally drink a pint of water before i leave home, take two bottles of drink one contains high 5 energy source and the other contains water when i get home i drink gatorade.

When out rideing i will take a banana, couple of packets of sesame seed snaps and a energy bar
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • So the meal the night before would contain protein/carbs specifically for the next days ride102.gif

like wise your breakfast would it be anything special.

Oh sesame seed snaps, yummy.

So the milage on your rides, how far?