Wheel Size 26" to 24"

lilpaul
lilpaul Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Im finding it hard to find a bike i'm comfortable with. I'm 5ft5 and have been looking at the Chris Broadman mountain bike and it feels comfortable when I've test ridden one. The issue I have is when I stand over the bike which is a 16" frame, I only have about 1 1/2" of space between my balls and the frame.

Im just worried that if I come off im gonna damage my nuts with only having 1 1/2 inches between the top bar and my groin.

The bike comes with 26" wheels, im just wondering if it was possible to drop the wheel size to 24" and if this would make any difference.

Im new to mountain biking so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    1 1/2 inches is a good amount of clearance if you're standing with your feet flat on the ground. You can never totally guarantee you won't end up painfully straddling the crossbar, a bit of clearance just helps in some situations. I'm about your height and both my frames are 16".
  • You can, but it will make little difference and be an expensive way of doing something that you don't really need to do. I'm 5'6" and ride a 16" frame. If the bike feels comfortable and you like the spec then that's the one.
    My Amp Goes Up to Eleven
    2010 Merlin Malt 1
    2000 KHE Beater
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stand over is really a thing of the past due to the advent of suspension which raises the bike up bu 100mm or so.

how does the bike feel other wise?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I am not convinced about about the need for lots of clearance, On my many slips, spills and unskilled dismounts i have never ended up with both feet on the ground and the bike upright.
    Saying thaat i would not buy a bike that didnt give me a little bit of room. if you like the feel of the boardman then buy it.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Thanks for getting back to me.

The bike itself when i've ridden my friends feels great and is very light.

So looks like I'll be getting that one then and leaving the bike as it is.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Both my rigids have 4"+ of clearance, but my FS has just over an 1".

As previously said I've not once hit the bar in over 25 years of riding, with the FS at least if you did there would be some give. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"