Cyclepowermeters.com

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
Has anyone rented a Powertap from these folk? I placed an order on the 22nd December and sent off the contract straight away, but I've not heard anything, despite sending 3 emails asking various questions. I've also tried phoning, but no-one answers. Is this normal?

I appreciate they're probably busy, but I'm not overly impressed with their service.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I hired one from them last May - similar to you, emails went unanswered and the phone only seems to get answered sporadically - but then it's only Bob Tobin, his wife and daughter runnning it from what I can tell, so not exactly a huge organisation.

Persevere with ringing and leaving messages on the answerphone - I got my wheel the following day by carrier once I'd actually got the paperwork and payment details back to them.

FWIW, Bob is very helpful & knowledgeable once you do actually speak to him.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Got through and all is well - he's expecting some PowerTaps in soon :)

Would have been nice if he'd just let me know though....
    More problems but still living....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They were probably closed over the holidays. In fact, I know they were.

I'm in the middle of a rental contract right now. Mine was brand-spanking new when it showed up. Wheel, tyre, cassette, and all the kit. But yes - it took a while to get ahold of them and had to wait a few days or so to get the wheel as they had none available when I ordered.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I rented from Bob 2007-2008 and it was utterly fantastic. Bob has forgotten more about power devices than I will ever know.

I suspect they were on holiday, I found the service top-notch and ended up buying my SRMs from him.

Service was always top-notch in my experience. I guess he may be a victim of his success tho!

I recommend getting "Racing and Training with a power meter" esp. since a 2nd edition is due in March which is updated to reflect latest tools etc.

A copy of WKO+ is also highly recommended, or you could take a look at Golden Cheetah or Raceday which are both excellent pieces of software. (Golden Cheetah is FREE and a new release is coming next week with lots of cool new features).
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Anyone know if there's any power meter software available for Macs? I am toying with the idea of a Powertap but I have a horrible feeling you need a beastly PC for downloading and analysing all the gubbins??
    ta!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Anyone know if there's any power meter software available for Macs? I am toying with the idea of a Powertap but I have a horrible feeling you need a beastly PC for downloading and analysing all the gubbins??
    ta!

The software that comes with a PowerTap works on a Mac. The 'good' software (WKO+) does not.

But Poweragent (that comes with PowerTap) will give you most of the info you need to know.
  • great - thankyou :)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Pokerface wrote:
    Anyone know if there's any power meter software available for Macs? I am toying with the idea of a Powertap but I have a horrible feeling you need a beastly PC for downloading and analysing all the gubbins??
    ta!

The software that comes with a PowerTap works on a Mac. The 'good' software (WKO+) does not.

But Poweragent (that comes with PowerTap) will give you most of the info you need to know.

There's GoldenCheetah aswell, which other than the stacked bar does everything WKO+ does, and has supported many of them much longer than that. http://www.goldencheetah.org Free and Open Source. Also updated more frequently than WKO.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/