Heel down on right, toe down on left

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
I have been having problems with my left foot/calf cramping as of late.

I have noticed that when i cycle, my left foot has more of a heel down style, and my right side has more of a toe down style. When i raise my heel on my left side, it feels a lot smoother and my calf doesn't cramp, but this requires concentration and feels like i am having to force it almost.

I noticed also that when i cycle, i can point my right foot down like a balerena (i.e foot pointing down at the ground), but my left foot has limited movement.

I am pretty sure this is what is causing my left calf to cramp, but I am not sure why my left side is doing this and not my right.

Any thoughts, advice would be great

Thanks

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I would get your leg length checked (could be genetics or just tight muscles that need stretched).
  • I had a similar issue, try looking up some ankleflexibility exercises on the net, that would be a good starting point.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Did you get calf/foot cramps as a result and if so, did increasing ankle flexibility help? It has come to light after I trained for a half marathon and stopped the bike for a bit. Guessing the running has tightened up my ankles
  • birdy247 wrote:
    Did you get calf/foot cramps as a result and if so, did increasing ankle flexibility help? It has come to light after I trained for a half marathon and stopped the bike for a bit. Guessing the running has tightened up my ankles

I wasn't getting cramps, but had developed one calf bigger than the other due to the calf pointing downwards being more tensed through the stroke i guess (although it's not an issue particularly).

My ankle flexibilty has increased dramatically since starting stretching, hopefully when I have another screening my pedal stroke will be even!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015